Two garbage years in the championship

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Two garbage years in the championship

Post by the big IP » Mon May 08, 2017 5:24 am

What hope is there for next season, with Sunderland, Boro and another team coming down with bundles of cash, the 3 teams who miss out in the play offs are going to be strong, plus Leeds, Villa and Norwich.
That's 9 teams I've mentioned. At best mid table beckons, mind you at the moment, that's probably our limit.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Two garbage years in the championship

Post by SheepRanger » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am

And our last season of premiership parachute payments. We need to make some money on player sales because I can't see why the Board would fork out £10-15m very year to subsidise this rubbish.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am
And our last season of premiership parachute payments. We need to make some money on player sales because I can't see why the Board would fork out £10-15m very year to subsidise this rubbish.
I hope we aren't seeing the gradual disintegration of our club like Coventry. Similar size and seemingly unable to make anything work. Very concerned that without the new stadium we haven't finished declining. Wish I could be more positive, but I can't.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 08, 2017 11:39 am

SheepRanger wrote:
We have two more years of parachute money to come at £9.6M per season.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am

Damien wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am
SheepRanger wrote:
I hope we aren't seeing the gradual disintegration of our club like Coventry. Similar size and seemingly unable to make anything work. Very concerned that without the new stadium we haven't finished declining. Wish I could be more positive, but I can't.
That is a good point Damien. Things certainly do feel very disjointed at the club at the moment. I'm not sure anyone really knows which direction they want to go. At this moment I see next season being a massive struggle.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 am

Coventry's disintegration began when they sold Highfield Road, and has been accelerated by poor ownership under Sisu.

Our owners have made some huge mistakes, but seem to have finally learned some hard lessons. As long as we own our own ground, I see no reason why we should mirror Coventry's fall, though that's not to say it won't be a struggle, and things may get worse before they get better.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon May 08, 2017 12:24 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 am
Coventry's disintegration began when they sold Highfield Road, and has been accelerated by poor ownership under Sisu.

Our owners have made some huge mistakes, but seem to have finally learned some hard lessons. As long as we own our own ground, I see no reason why we should mirror Coventry's fall, though that's not to say it won't be a struggle, and things may get worse before they get better.
Like getting rid of highly paid mercenaries and replacing them with players of character who took us to the brink of relegation? They appear to be doing the right thing but it's not proved successful yet? Is our model dissimilar to the Venki's?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 08, 2017 12:34 pm

They're clearly no longer prepared to keep throwing good money after bad, at least not on the scale they were in previous years. That being the case, there's been an inevitable degree of managed decline about the last two seasons. In my view, that's been handled reasonably well in the main, but of course mistakes are still being made, and unfortunately our choice of managers is arguably one of them.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 08, 2017 12:59 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:34 pm
They're clearly no longer prepared to keep throwing good money after bad, at least not on the scale they were in previous years. That being the case, there's been an inevitable degree of managed decline about the last two seasons. In my view, that's been handled reasonably well in the main, but of course mistakes are still being made, and unfortunately our choice of managers is arguably one of them.
Eloquently put.

The club has been run terribly for ages, it's going to take more than a couple of changes to make everything rosy. I agree with you, whilst not perfect i think the club is mostly making the right moves. The main problem is the fans who simultaneously want us run well, but are also demanding top signings and instant success, we can't have both.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Mon May 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:59 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Eloquently put.

The club has been run terribly for ages, it's going to take more than a couple of changes to make everything rosy. I agree with you, whilst not perfect i think the club is mostly making the right moves. The main problem is the fans who simultaneously want us run well, but are also demanding top signings and instant success, we can't have both.
I don't think that fans disagree that the club is run with best intentions but lack of direction seems to be the problem. If you have a plan, you stick to it and make adjustments where needed. The choices of different types of managers seems puzzling, there is no consistency in the type of players being bought or off loaded. Even the team selection shows no real direction. I think the club needs a major plan from top to bottom and then stick to it so that everyone at least knows which direction and long term plan we are following. Get everyone settled, dig deep and move forward!

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon May 08, 2017 3:07 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Agree. We badly need to get the next one right if IH can't manage to kick on from this basket case of a season. Anyone you fancy UX? Would Hackett be a backward step.. even if only to give Olly a hand?

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am
Damien wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am
SheepRanger wrote:
That is a good point Damien. Things certainly do feel very disjointed at the club at the moment. I'm not sure anyone really knows which direction they want to go. At this moment I see next season being a massive struggle.
It's looking very likely Wegerle. Even though the table will say we weren't one of the worst 3 teams this season - our overall performances would suggest otherwise. Doesn't look like there will be a Rotherham, Wigan or Blackburn next season to save our bacon either. But that's enough gloom for now - let's hope they surprise us next season 8)

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Each year there is always a Huddersfield causing a surprise. Burton, Barnsley, Brentford are all playing above their weight so can they maintain another season at this level? Preston, Ipswich and Wolves have not been any higher than mid table this season and haven't exactly set the world alight with their performances. So there are other teams who may struggle.

It's been a poor season but generally we haven't been bad, just losing by the odd goal on most occasions and the Newcastle and Norwich games aside have not been outplayed often. We've lacked goals. With goals you'll get confidence and with confidence you'll get luck and happiness and everything is rosy. I know it's been said that we would've been relegated if we hadn't beaten Forest last week. But we also would've secured safety back in March if the ref hadn't ruled out that disallowed goal against Blackburn. The league is 46 games long which is why we stayed up and Blackburn went down.

Next season we'll all be starting on zero points. They'll be some bloody good teams in this league but that also means, each team will be taking points off each other so will make it an exciting league next season and I'm glad we'll be part of it.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon May 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Mackie been offered a new contract on reduced terms today due to financial constraints. Pretty much sets the scene for a summer of wheeling and dealing in the bargain bucket.

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:31 pm
Mackie been offered a new contract on reduced terms today due to financial constraints. Pretty much sets the scene for a summer of wheeling and dealing in the bargain bucket.
Mackie as a squad player isn't a bad shout really - provided he's not a starter. We could do a lot worse for more money and he's got the added bonus with the enthusiasm he brings.