R passed away.....

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Stan
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: R passed away.....

Post by Stan » Mon May 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Really gut wrenchingly sad news this. RIP Big John :(
next year, we'll be champions..

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Very sad news....and looking young...RIP....
and I remember sending one of my scarves to San Francisco when I made them....pretty sure he was the one asking.....

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Really very sad news, I remember his posts well.
R.I.P.
Staff Benda Bilili

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Sad to lose one of the dot.org community and one who was evidently a nice guy in real life too. May he rest in peace.
Come on you Sooopa ........

1 Bobby Hazell
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 1 Bobby Hazell » Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 pm

That is very sad to hear. I never met him personally but very much enjoyed his posts on all matters, he was a big contributor back in the day.

Love and peace r in frisco

xx
"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 am

His first trip over was in 1996 (made possible by some money his recently deceased mum had left him so it meant extra to him) and I was his unofficial guide. He only saw one game (a home defeat to Blackburn) but the sun shone and he loved LR. He then bought half the club shop followed by half a kebab shop. He was that sort of person.

We did the tourist things (including getting lost looking for Abbey Road --- but he did eventually got the prized pics of him on the Zebra crossing) and he got to meet a good few Rs in circumstances where alcohol was consumed immoderately. He was that kind of person. He also got to have a "proper" curry in Westbourne Grove. He ordered enough for three people then asked me what I was having. He insisted on paying and then tipped the waiters more than any tip they had ever seen. Yup, that kind of person.

Because of my mostly nocturnal lifestyle and the time difference between here and San Francisco we spent a good bit of time on line discussing Life and QPR. He was a true Yank --- but also a definite Anglophile and also a Football fan. He was big, brash, loud, funny, kind and just one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, ever. It's a loss for the world and a loss for all the people over there who will never replace what he brought to their lives.

Sorry to ramble on but RIP John, you were one very special person.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 am

DAVEf wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 am
His first trip over was in 1996 (made possible by some money his recently deceased mum had left him so it meant extra to him) and I was his unofficial guide. He only saw one game (a home defeat to Blackburn) but the sun shone and he loved LR. He then bought half the club shop followed by half a kebab shop. He was that sort of person.

We did the tourist things (including getting lost looking for Abbey Road --- but he did eventually got the prized pics of him on the Zebra crossing) and he got to meet a good few Rs in circumstances where alcohol was consumed immoderately. He was that kind of person. He also got to have a "proper" curry in Westbourne Grove. He ordered enough for three people then asked me what I was having. He insisted on paying and then tipped the waiters more than any tip they had ever seen. Yup, that kind of person.

Because of my mostly nocturnal lifestyle and the time difference between here and San Francisco we spent a good bit of time on line discussing Life and QPR. He was a true Yank --- but also a definite Anglophile and also a Football fan. He was big, brash, loud, funny, kind and just one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, ever. It's a loss for the world and a loss for all the people over there who will never replace what he brought to their lives.

That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it with us.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 am

222gers wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 am
DAVEf wrote:

That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it with us.
Agreed. Sounds like a lovely bloke. Fair play to you for looking after him too.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

DAVEf wrote:

That's lovely to read. Thanks for posting that Dave.

Hoop'83
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Hoop'83 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am

Back in 2006 I had a world trip planned and asked on here whether it would be easy to find somewhere to watch the World Cup in the US. John replied with an insistence that he show me around San Fransisco when I was there. We arranged to meet and a beautiful classic old American car pulled up outside my hostel with a rather large gentleman inside with a beaming grin! ""Daaaaaaaave so good to see you man" he exclaimed as if we'd been buddies for years. He proceeded to drive me around the city showing me its tourism and culinary highlights. As Davef says, the man could eat! A trip to Mexican quarter "the mission" culminated in a steak and cheese quesadilla feast that would leave most people on the floor!

After the grub he took me down to a live music venue to watch a band all dressed as medieval British Knights, followed by the headliner "arnocorps", who were all dressed as Arnie (governator, not bizarre old Qpr mascot) who proceeded to sing songs only about his films, in his accent. Lots of beer accompanied the night and it just struck me how out of his way this fella was going to make me feel welcome in his city when really he had no reason to.

We met up once more while I was there, and I'm happy to say I was able to hang out with him and return the favour on his trip over for the 2011 promotion party. His happiness at being able to share that with us reached new levels when one of his all time heroes Mick Jones walked into the defectors weld. Definitely a trip to remember.

I'm genuinely gutted to hear of his passing. An absolutely top bloke who clearly always put others before himself. His Facebook page is currently in meltdown so clearly this was not just a trait shared with me. My thoughts are with all those who knew him better than me.

RIP big man
@kischmusic

thebigfatchef
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by thebigfatchef » Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Condolences to all the family

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue May 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Some great and moving tributes on here. R.I.P.
Lex Talionis........

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue May 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Very sad news. Always a balanced and interesting poster. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Wed May 10, 2017 5:26 am

Touching tributes to a larger than life character at a time of great sadness for his family. RIP r in frisco.
Question everything.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu May 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Gutted by this.

Really appreciate post by all and those who know him and shared their experiences.
Always wondered if he was an ex-pat. Now I wonder how a full on "yank" could be so enamoured with the club. Top bloke. I'm sure he influenced people around him
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.