Warnocks team vs Holloways

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Warnocks team vs Holloways

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:59 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:53 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Age is just a number Zenith, yeah Warnock is coming to an end but hey take a look at the table when he took over Cardiff then take a look where we all finished up, nothing wrong with his age judging by that evidence.
Neil Warnock's record in the Premier League is not great. Unlike his record in the Championship. He was sacked after we lost to MK Dons in the FA cup a team 2 divisions below us at the time. The decision to sack him and replace him with Mark Hughes at that time was sound. The fact Hughes was a disaster as QPR manager is irrelevant. At the time the decision was made it seemed a good one. Mark Hughes' record as a Premier League manager is far better than Neil Warnock's - that is a fact. Since taking over at Stoke they have been mid table with none of the drama we experienced. I would certainly have taken that for QPR. Neil Warnock struggled IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE as manager of Sheffield United, QPR and Crystal Palace. The second time round in the Championship he said he didn't want the job. Why? You would have to ask him. Maybe he was pissed off he was sacked the first time, maybe he didn't feel his personal circumstances at that time were right. Who knows .... actually only one person Neil Warnock. This entire thread is irrelevant now anyway, he didn't get the job, he won't be getting the job again any time in the future, so yearning over what might have been is a pretty pointless exercise. Bottom line ... the decision to sack him the first time was fair enough based on results. I said in January I though Olly was silly not to put out his strongest team against Blackburn in the FA cup. I thought NW was silly not to do the same against MKD. In that case it cost helped him his job, so really bloody stupid.

Plus you keep talking about Rotherham and Cardiff. However they are/ were both Championship teams. We primarily are talking about a decision that was taken in the Premier league. A totally different playing field (excuse the pun.)
So Warnock is no good coz with probably the worst squad in premier league history he got the sack that makes him 100% not the man to take a club forward?

You also begrudge him fielding a weakened team against a league1 side when we practically had a championship squad ourselves, oh and didn't faurlin get injured in that game? Yeah masterstroke playing your best players in a cup game when your trying to survive in the Premier League.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 am

Well done on not posting any more about it. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 am
Well done on not posting any more about it. :roll:
Morning Esox how are we on this bright and beautiful day.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun May 14, 2017 11:52 am

Out practicing before a shoot this afternoon :-) and you?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun May 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:52 am
Steady on. I know he said he wasn't going to mention Warnock again, but I think a hit is over the top.

Maybe just a knee-capping.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 pm

ZENITH R wrote:

Neil Warnock's record in the Premier League is not great. Unlike his record in the Championship. He was sacked after we lost to MK Dons in the FA cup a team 2 divisions below us at the time. The decision to sack him and replace him with Mark Hughes at that time was sound. The fact Hughes was a disaster as QPR manager is irrelevant. At the time the decision was made it seemed a good one.
We didn't lose to MK Dons, we drew - hardly a disastrous result, especially since staying up was the only thing that mattered that year. Warnock was sacked because despite the fact that we weren't in the bottom three and hadn't been since the first game, the wise old owls in our midst "knew" that relegation was our "inevitable" fate. Never mind that there was a full transfer window in which the team could be strengthened. In my view he deserved a bit more loyalty given what he achieved the previous season, but sadly the majority were taken in by Fernandes' delusions of grandeur.

All water under the bridge now though.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun May 14, 2017 1:07 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 pm
ZENITH R wrote:

Neil Warnock's record in the Premier League is not great. Unlike his record in the Championship. He was sacked after we lost to MK Dons in the FA cup a team 2 divisions below us at the time. The decision to sack him and replace him with Mark Hughes at that time was sound. The fact Hughes was a disaster as QPR manager is irrelevant. At the time the decision was made it seemed a good one.
We didn't lose to MK Dons, we drew - hardly a disastrous result, especially since staying up was the only thing that mattered that year. Warnock was sacked because despite the fact that we weren't in the bottom three and hadn't been since the first game, the wise old owls in our midst "knew" that relegation was our "inevitable" fate. Never mind that there was a full transfer window in which the team could be strengthened. In my view he deserved a bit more loyalty given what he achieved the previous season, but sadly the majority were taken in by Fernandes' delusions of grandeur.

All water under the bridge now though.
Yes, we've passed a lot of water since then. :wink:

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun May 14, 2017 7:40 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 12:28 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:52 am
Steady on. I know he said he wasn't going to mention Warnock again, but I think a hit is over the top.

Maybe just a knee-capping.
Doable, as long he isn't anymore than 90m away, I don't have any sight marks beyond that :wink:

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 am
ZENITH R wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:

Neil Warnock's record in the Premier League is not great. Unlike his record in the Championship. He was sacked after we lost to MK Dons in the FA cup a team 2 divisions below us at the time. The decision to sack him and replace him with Mark Hughes at that time was sound. The fact Hughes was a disaster as QPR manager is irrelevant. At the time the decision was made it seemed a good one. Mark Hughes' record as a Premier League manager is far better than Neil Warnock's - that is a fact. Since taking over at Stoke they have been mid table with none of the drama we experienced. I would certainly have taken that for QPR. Neil Warnock struggled IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE as manager of Sheffield United, QPR and Crystal Palace. The second time round in the Championship he said he didn't want the job. Why? You would have to ask him. Maybe he was pissed off he was sacked the first time, maybe he didn't feel his personal circumstances at that time were right. Who knows .... actually only one person Neil Warnock. This entire thread is irrelevant now anyway, he didn't get the job, he won't be getting the job again any time in the future, so yearning over what might have been is a pretty pointless exercise. Bottom line ... the decision to sack him the first time was fair enough based on results. I said in January I though Olly was silly not to put out his strongest team against Blackburn in the FA cup. I thought NW was silly not to do the same against MKD. In that case it cost helped him his job, so really bloody stupid.

Plus you keep talking about Rotherham and Cardiff. However they are/ were both Championship teams. We primarily are talking about a decision that was taken in the Premier league. A totally different playing field (excuse the pun.)
So Warnock is no good coz with probably the worst squad in premier league history he got the sack that makes him 100% not the man to take a club forward?

You also begrudge him fielding a weakened team against a league1 side when we practically had a championship squad ourselves, oh and didn't faurlin get injured in that game? Yeah masterstroke playing your best players in a cup game when your trying to survive in the Premier League.
You really do yourself no favours when you post drivel like that. edoh

For starters there have been worse Prem squads than ours (and the records prove that) and to follow that it wasn't the defeat against MK that got him sacked, it was the results (and performances) in the weeks before that. In front of a major away following that was supportive and hopeful the team could use the cup as a springboard to improved form, they were really poor. Forget ideas of "fielding a weakened team" NW must have known how important a win could be and would/should surely have thrown everything at it? In the event the team looked unmotivated, unprepared, disorganised and slow (compared to a side from two leagues below his). Faulin getting injured mattered so little it's hardly worth mentioning. It was all a horrible insight into what was coming --- and did come. Sure, there was a lack of quality compared to many Prem clubs but, even recently, other clubs have shown that with organisation and spirit they can compete, while what we saw at MK was a group that couldn't/wouldn't compete with players who were (just judging on league status --- and wages?) supposedly not as good as them. So who can be blamed other than the manager?
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 am

DAVEf wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 am
ZENITH R wrote:

You really do yourself no favours when you post drivel like that. edoh

For starters there have been worse Prem squads than ours (and the records prove that) and to follow that it wasn't the defeat against MK that got him sacked, it was the results (and performances) in the weeks before that. In front of a major away following that was supportive and hopeful the team could use the cup as a springboard to improved form, they were really poor. Forget ideas of "fielding a weakened team" NW must have known how important a win could be and would/should surely have thrown everything at it? In the event the team looked unmotivated, unprepared, disorganised and slow (compared to a side from two leagues below his). Faulin getting injured mattered so little it's hardly worth mentioning. It was all a horrible insight into what was coming --- and did come. Sure, there was a lack of quality compared to many Prem clubs but, even recently, other clubs have shown that with organisation and spirit they can compete, while what we saw at MK was a group that couldn't/wouldn't compete with players who were (just judging on league status --- and wages?) supposedly not as good as them. So who can be blamed other than the manager?
I take your point that a win is a win & could help with confidence but on the flip side we had a really poor squad not upto premier league level it was a cup that realistcly we probably wouldn't win & also would be to the detriment of our fight for survival in the premier league, financially it's a no brainer, & also loosing your best player to injury im not sure how you can say it's hardly worth mentioning, it proves the point of the risk you take when playing your best players in what was in the grand scheme of things a non important game.

P.s I was at MK Dons away & believe me it was terrible viewing but I'm also not going to hold that one game against Warnock, compared to what he achieved I'll allow him that one.

As for this season just gone & whoever it was incharge JFH or Ollie picking a weakened side against Blackburn that was an utter disgrace, no excuse there a dead rubber of a season at the time we had every reason to go for a cup run.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon May 15, 2017 7:19 am

Nothing like a good old hindsight thread or two in the close season. What if, what if.

Our form was terrible before Neil left. Before that season started Neil made a big thing about how he was looking forward to the challenge of the Premier League once more, this was probably his last chance at this level. In reality he didn't return to the club until Tuesday, occasionally Wednesday most weeks leaving Keith Curle in charge which I never understood.

I dread to think how you youngsters would have coped watching a 0-4 home defeat to Everton at the start of the 76/77 season :-)

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:44 pm
Satch wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 pm
222gers wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:12 pm
Mr Warnock spent very little on the men that got us promotion. You could of course say he got lucky with AT, but the players he brought in, some of whom were denounced as being hopeless on here at the time, were just what were required at the time - honest, experienced one hundredpercenters. That's why his name keeps cropping up.
He got extremely lucky with Taarabt, but credit where it's due, he got it out of him and identified what was needed to bolster the side (which had already had a decent investment in it). But there wasn't a plan for keeping us up imo and that is where he failed. We've been there and done that, i'm sure this season has proven it's best not to go back. I certainly wish we hadn't with Holloway.
Lucky I'm staggered how you can say he was lucky with Adel, he was a player within an average squad that Warnock treated like God & most of the time he performed like God.

It's testiment to Warnock that nobody since has managed to get a tune out of Taarabt.

We dreamed for over a decade of getting back in the big time, not only does Warnock come in steady the ship wave off relegation but with basicly the same bunch he goes & wins the league, what more can the man do.

He wasn't allowed to sign a player in the summer he had to wait for TF to take over days b4 the new season & had a patched up shambles of a side come Bolton home, bloody DJ Campbell upfront.

What happened after he got the chop is not down to him, he got a quick promo & the board have f'd it up ever since, look at the stats of teams promoted & then relegated the following season from the Prem, two are about to do it this season middboro & Hull, u can't blame that on the gaffer it's just the harsh reality of the top tier. The board & dof & suites off the field are the ones that should be planing all summer for the premier league, we were a mess with Tango & cash blocking everything prior to the sale of the club, Warnock had no chance.

I loved Ollie coming back but he has lost the plot, who knows where our future is heading because it's pretty shite from top to bottom at present.
That tune started to fade in the premier league though, i made it clear i thought Warnock did a good job with Adel, the talent was there. We were also woefully underperforming the season before, again credit to Warnock, but he had a decent squad for this level and was able to add to it with no thought to the long term.

The prep wasn't ideal for the PL i agree, but he also made an absolute howler of the transfer market. Who was your favourite out of: Anton Ferdinand, Armand Traoré, Joey Barton, Luke Young and Shaun Wright-Phillips?

Again i wouldn't have sacked him (or let him loose with the cheque book in January either). But i wouldn't want him back now. I look at this side and the budget and whilst i think Warnock would have us mid-table, he isn't taking us up and i don't see him as a man who wants to spend the next 4/5 years trying to build something competitive with young, and unknown foreign players. He isn't going to turn Luke Freeman into Adel and we're a long way from just needing a couple of old heads to get us over the line.

I'm not criticising what Warnock achieved getting us promoted. But everything has a context, it wasn't a miracle and doesn't mean he could so the same with the current side and financial constraints.

Edit: If what Rbee says is true then even more reason.

222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon May 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Satch wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 pm

He got extremely lucky with Taarabt, but credit where it's due, he got it out of him and identified what was needed to bolster the side (which had already had a decent investment in it). But there wasn't a plan for keeping us up imo and that is where he failed. We've been there and done that, i'm sure this season has proven it's best not to go back. I certainly wish we hadn't with Holloway.
Lucky I'm staggered how you can say he was lucky with Adel, he was a player within an average squad that Warnock treated like God & most of the time he performed like God.

It's testiment to Warnock that nobody since has managed to get a tune out of Taarabt.

We dreamed for over a decade of getting back in the big time, not only does Warnock come in steady the ship wave off relegation but with basicly the same bunch he goes & wins the league, what more can the man do.

He wasn't allowed to sign a player in the summer he had to wait for TF to take over days b4 the new season & had a patched up shambles of a side come Bolton home, bloody DJ Campbell upfront.

What happened after he got the chop is not down to him, he got a quick promo & the board have f'd it up ever since, look at the stats of teams promoted & then relegated the following season from the Prem, two are about to do it this season middboro & Hull, u can't blame that on the gaffer it's just the harsh reality of the top tier. The board & dof & suites off the field are the ones that should be planing all summer for the premier league, we were a mess with Tango & cash blocking everything prior to the sale of the club, Warnock had no chance.

I loved Ollie coming back but he has lost the plot, who knows where our future is heading because it's pretty shite from top to bottom at present.
That tune started to fade in the premier league though, i made it clear i thought Warnock did a good job with Adel, the talent was there. We were also woefully underperforming the season before, again credit to Warnock, but he had a decent squad for this level and was able to add to it with no thought to the long term.

The prep wasn't ideal for the PL i agree, but he also made an absolute howler of the transfer market. Who was your favourite out of: Anton Ferdinand, Armand Traoré, Joey Barton, Luke Young and Shaun Wright-Phillips?

Again i wouldn't have sacked him (or let him loose with the cheque book in January either). But i wouldn't want him back now. I look at this side and the budget and whilst i think Warnock would have us mid-table, he isn't taking us up and i don't see him as a man who wants to spend the next 4/5 years trying to build something competitive with young, and unknown foreign players. He isn't going to turn Luke Freeman into Adel and we're a long way from just needing a couple of old heads to get us over the line.

I'm not criticising what Warnock achieved getting us promoted. But everything has a context, it wasn't a miracle and doesn't mean he could so the same with the current side and financial constraints.

Luke Young was a gamble when we had about 59p to spend on players. The others were very poor signings, but with only a few days left in the transfer window, I wonder who else was available. With hindsight though it may have been better to plough on with what we had until the January window - then again we might have been so far behind, no players would have signed for us. We just don't know and I guess this whole thing will crop up on this board from time to time.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 15, 2017 4:36 pm

222gers wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:04 pm
Satch wrote:
westlondonlalala wrote:

Luke Young was a gamble when we had about 59p to spend on players. The others were very poor signings, but with only a few days left in the transfer window, I wonder who else was available. With hindsight though it may have been better to plough on with what we had until the January window - then again we might have been so far behind, no players would have signed for us. We just don't know and I guess this whole thing will crop up on this board from time to time.
It will, imo they were all bad choices, average players bought in a rush at well over the odds. I do feel for Warnock that he wasn't given a proper pre-season to recruit players, though. I think Luke Young was after the investment from TF. Prior to that Warnock brough in Dyer to play at RB, which was also a pointless gamble. I can forgive Gabbidon, Bothroyd and Campbell given the circumstances.

Out of interest 222, would you want Warnock back now? What do you make of Rbee's comments above?

222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon May 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:36 pm
222gers wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:04 pm
Satch wrote:

It will, imo they were all bad choices, average players bought in a rush at well over the odds. I do feel for Warnock that he wasn't given a proper pre-season to recruit players, though. I think Luke Young was after the investment from TF. Prior to that Warnock brough in Dyer to play at RB, which was also a pointless gamble. I can forgive Gabbidon, Bothroyd and Campbell given the circumstances.

Out of interest 222, would you want Warnock back now? What do you make of Rbee's comments above?
To be honest Satch probably no. As someone (may have been you), said on here he's a great quick fix manager. I wouldn't have had Ollie either although the atmosphere seemed to change right from the kickoff against Norwich. It's not easy is it ?