why is it......?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

why is it......?

Post by beaglebum » Sun May 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Why is it that the low feelings we all get when we lose far outweigh the feelings of highs when we win? Evidenced by the far greater comments on here after a bad result than when we do well. I wonder why that is?

W12Allstars
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: why is it......?

Post by W12Allstars » Sun May 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Personally I haven't commented much in either case this season, as I really haven't had a clue how things were going to pan out or what I really thought.

I was concerned when we got rid of JFH for Olly, and am even more so now. Being able to sit back and judge the season overall, I now have unsurprisingly come to the conclusion it was a downright disaster and to just hope that somehow things will be better next season is unrealistic and most likely futile.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, than to dwell in the twighlight that knows neither victory nor defeat - T Roosevelt

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 1:29 pm
Why is it that the low feelings we all get when we lose far outweigh the feelings of highs when we win? Evidenced by the far greater comments on here after a bad result than when we do well. I wonder why that is?
Because we've lost 6 out of the last 7 games badly.
Staff Benda Bilili

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm

It's called concern. I'm too busy celebrating our rare victories :wink:

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun May 07, 2017 2:39 pm

beaglebum wrote:
I don't think that's especially true. There are a small handful who are only interested when we lose but i think for the most part, it's equal. However, at the moment our utterly disgraceful form is a huge worry and likely to occupy people's thoughts more than the odd win.

A draw or a loss last week and we'd be playing League 1 football next season.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Sun May 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 pm
beaglebum wrote:
No you miss the point. I'm saying that when we lose, my day/evening is ruined and I feel gutted. But when we win I feel more like "that was OK" rather then elation or the polar opposite of when we lose. It's hard to explain what I mean. To put it in comparison, I bet the Blackburn fans are feeling more emotional for getting relegated than the Forest/Birham fans for staying up. Weird isn't it.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun May 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Sorry, i did miss your point.

I think part of the issue is we often only win the games we're expected to and rarely in convincing fashion. But the results at Fulham and Reading away left me ecstatic.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 2:41 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 pm
beaglebum wrote:
No you miss the point. I'm saying that when we lose, my day/evening is ruined and I feel gutted. But when we win I feel more like "that was OK" rather then elation or the polar opposite of when we lose. It's hard to explain what I mean. To put it in comparison, I bet the Blackburn fans are feeling more emotional for getting relegated than the Forest/Birham fans for staying up. Weird isn't it.
I go back to original answer, losing 6 out of your last 7 league games creates a bad atmosphere.
If we lost 1 game and won 6 out of the last 7 then the reaction to today's loss would be completely different.
Staff Benda Bilili

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sun May 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Down to evolution, its the same in all human experience.

Fear is a great protector, remembering and dwelling on bad things would have helped our distant ancestors to avoid dangerous situations, we have changed our world significantly since then and evolution can't work fast enough to keep up so we have disproportionate reactions to things we don't like.

Other examples are fears/phobias about snakes, spiders and Chelsea fans.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun May 07, 2017 4:41 pm

redinjun wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Fear is a great protector, remembering and dwelling on bad things would have helped our distant ancestors to avoid dangerous situations, we have changed our world significantly since then and evolution can't work fast enough to keep up so we have disproportionate reactions to things we don't like.

The Chelsea one is well researched and verified esnooty :D

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Damien wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 4:41 pm
redinjun wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 3:48 pm

The Chelsea one is well researched and verified esnooty :D
I have absolutely no fears/phobias about snakes, spiders and/or chelsea fans.

But that doesn't mean I would ever want any of them in my home.

Although snakes and spiders do have some good points.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Chelsea fans have given me an insight into how racists must think (ironically i could have just asked the average one).

I know a few who are actually alright, i even quite like them, but if i see someone in a Chelsea shirt, my hackles rise and i immediately dislike them and cast aspersions based solely on a single, visible characteristic.

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Satch wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm
Chelsea fans have given me an insight into how racists must think (ironically i could have just asked the average one).

I know a few who are actually alright, i even quite like them, but if i see someone in a Chelsea shirt, my hackles rise and i immediately dislike them and cast aspersions based solely on a single, visible characteristic.
I've developed a nervous tic. The sight of anyone in a Chelsea shirt results in me involuntarily shouting "scum". Most recently to an 8 year old on a zebra crossing. Embarrassing. The shirt, I mean.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

LanCat wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm
Satch wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm

I've developed a nervous tic. The sight of anyone in a Chelsea shirt results in me involuntarily shouting "scum". Most recently to an 8 year old on a zebra crossing. Embarrassing. The shirt, I mean.
Me too :oops:You'd be surprised how many you see over here on NI. They never existed over here, other than the ones who follow Linfield... until that Russian gobshite turned up.