Player of the Year Event Cancelled

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

BiscuitRanger
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Player of the Year Event Cancelled

Post by BiscuitRanger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:33 pm

I would give it to Freeman

And at the risk of doing a William... what's £120 in the grand scheme of things
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Freeman has only played a handful of games. Imo Smithies has been very good all season and kept us out of the shit.

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I don't really see why the club SHOULDN'T subsidise it, in the same way that my editors' association kindly footed the bill for our Xmas dinner. Seriously, when do football clubs EVER do anything as a 'thank you' to fans? £119 is just a joke. IMO, Hoos needs to get real and not embarrass the club. I wonder how the players feel about it all.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Because the club are running at a loss.

Why is it fair to subsidise something that not all fans can attend by virtue of numbers?

loonee
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by loonee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Just give the award to Smithies on the pitch after the last home game & put this dull uninspiring stagnant season behind us.

As for £119 pp maybe if jimmy floyd was hosting but then again he wants about 50k just for a speech these days.
Give it a rest, you and your vendettas, still at least Goss got a few minutes rest.

What made me laugh when the prices came out was you got a £10 discount if you had a table of 10, £1090 in total. Gee thanks! I don't know who set the prices or how much the venue cost but the price would certainly have been an issue for many.

HoopHappy
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by HoopHappy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 am

£119 IS far too much. If the club are unable to keep the costs down, which they should be able to, I personally don't think it is too much to subsidise the event to thank fans for their dedicated support during a pretty stagnant season. In footballing financial terms it would be relative to a couple of days of Caulker's wages.

Furthermore, the club did not give an adequate amount of notice. £119 is no small amount of money (to most people) and people need to prepare their finances accordingly.

Lastly, if the club want to think about hosting an event next year maybe they should take some tips from our neighbour's down the road who were able to sell out their end of season award ceremony by selling the tickets at a much more reasonable £47 and were able to source a decent host too http://mobile.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/ar ... 54874.aspx

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:56 am

While I agree £119 is far too much, I think it's a bit harsh to beat the club up for this one.

Hoos tried to organise something at short notice due to repeated word of mouth demand. The short notice may well have been a factor in the pricing, so hopefully next year, they will get ahead of the game and be able to find something that is value for money along the lines of what Brentford have done.

I'm not sure why people think they should subsidise it though. Those who want to go will presumably find the money, much as they do for limited edition replica shirts and the like. Those who think it's too expensive, or simply don't care will give it a miss.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

BiscuitRanger
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 am

I was being flippant. It's far too much and of course Smithies is a shoe in for POTY.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

HoopHappy
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by HoopHappy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:56 am
While I agree £119 is far too much, I think it's a bit harsh to beat the club up for this one.

Hoos tried to organise something at short notice due to repeated word of mouth demand. The short notice may well have been a factor in the pricing, so hopefully next year, they will get ahead of the game and be able to find something that is value for money along the lines of what Brentford have done.

I'm not sure why people think they should subsidise it though. Those who want to go will presumably find the money, much as they do for limited edition replica shirts and the like. Those who think it's too expensive, or simply don't care will give it a miss.
Correct, the club is not a charity and shouldn't have to subsidise an event like this, but if they were unable to run the event at a reasonable cost then either subsidise it for this year or don't bother with it.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am

HoopHappy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 am
UxbridgeR wrote:

Correct, the club is not a charity and shouldn't have to subsidise an event like this, but if they were unable to run the event at a reasonable cost then either subsidise it for this year or don't bother with it.
We have had a number of events where I work sponsored by local businesses. Some sponsorship of the event from one or more of our 'corporate partners' would have lowered the price.

As an aside .... When we get the new stadium, thought should be put into being able to host this sort of event on site (something Loftus Road can't do) which will lower the starting price, as we won't be paying for an external venue.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:41 pm

HoopHappy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 am
UxbridgeR wrote:

But they aren't a charity so why is it different this year? So the options are to not bother and get grief from fans or offer it, then cancel it if there ins't the uptake. I doubt the club were making a killing on this one. But agreed, maybe they can look into how to put this on at a more practical price if there haven't been many takers.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm

HoopHappy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 am
£119 IS far too much. If the club are unable to keep the costs down, which they should be able to, I personally don't think it is too much to subsidise the event to thank fans for their dedicated support during a pretty stagnant season. In footballing financial terms it would be relative to a couple of days of Caulker's wages.

Furthermore, the club did not give an adequate amount of notice. £119 is no small amount of money (to most people) and people need to prepare their finances accordingly.

Lastly, if the club want to think about hosting an event next year maybe they should take some tips from our neighbour's down the road who were able to sell out their end of season award ceremony by selling the tickets at a much more reasonable £47 and were able to source a decent host too http://mobile.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/ar ... 54874.aspx
Ah but the lovely Natalie Sawyer is a Brentford fan and is going out with an ex Brentford player: we do not have a Sky Sports News presenter equivalent amongst our ranks :oops:
Lex Talionis........

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm
HoopHappy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:33 am

Ah but the lovely Natalie Sawyer is a Brentford fan and is going out with an ex Brentford player: we do not have a Sky Sports News presenter equivalent amongst our ranks :oops:
She was with the ex skysports gobshite & talkshite gobshite Sam Matterface.

Don't blame her for giving him the chop, Jesus he goes on.

One thing that has confused the hell out of me though is I've googled her & apparantly her & sam had a kid together that they called Sawyer Matterface.

So she has given her son her surname as his Christian name, wtf is that all about.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 am

Talksport have been talking about the cancelled event this morning - Jim Wite and Kaz.

They were taking the mick out of us as the only club not to have one. They changed their minds when they became aware of the price.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Should the focus of the opprobrium be Stockley Park for such exorbitant hire costs?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.