How close is this league?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

How close is this league?

Post by beaglebum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am

I know there's a lot of "what if's" here but this league is so close.

Had we lost against Birham, Cardiff, Rotherham and Leeds (which many before kick off thought we could), then we would be on the same points as Blackburn and in the relegation zone. Yet, had we beaten Blackburn, Huddersfield, Leeds and Derby (which our performances deserved) we'd be just 2 points off the playoffs and likely to grab 6th spot as the in-form team.

I think this season the relegated team will go down on about 53 pts, so we are by no means safe yet, Saying that, when you are in the bottom 3, 10 points is a huge gap to make up.

The future under the current regime looks good and I can't remember the last time I thought that :)

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: How close is this league?

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am

I think one more transfer window will give us a stable imbedded squad and 3-6th is very achievable. What will count is whether the teams coming down keep their squads or start slashing their cost base. We really need to go up next season due to the financial situation to secure our future. No so bothered about the top flight football rhough as I love the championship.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:10 pm

That's a pretty fair summation Sheepy, but I would add that keeping some of our better players such as Smithies, Hall and Wszolek, will also be key. Though saying that I am not all that confident we will be able to keep them all.

With Penrice and Reeves however we have increased our ability to scout players. This is essential as whatever little money we have for summer transfers needs to be spent a wisely as possible.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:14 pm

More realistically ...

Had we beaten Rotherham away and Burton at home - poor team selection and tactics cost us on both occasions, they were both very winnable games, we would be six points off the play offs, in form with eight to play, whereas both Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham are wobbling.

Ho hum!

Huddersfield must be kicking themselves. A win on Friday at Bristol City would have seen them 3 points behind 2nd place with a game in hand.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm

it could be quite an exciting end to the season at both ends

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:01 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm
If it doesn't pass in a couple of days go see the doctor.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:08 pm

..very unpredictable league...Fulham winning 3-1 at top of the league, N'castle, then conceding the same result at home vs Wolves.... :shock:

deadendjob
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:29 pm

beaglebum wrote:
If we keep our form up it's highly likely we'd end up in the playoffs :shock:

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:01 pm
beaglebum wrote:
If it doesn't pass in a couple of days go see the doctor.
aniclap whistle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: naughty aniclap aniclap aniclap
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

consigliarikb0
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by consigliarikb0 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 am

beaglebum wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am

I think this season the relegated team will go down on about 53 pts, so we are by no means safe yet, Saying that, when you are in the bottom 3, 10 points is a huge gap to make up.
No way will it be as high as 54 points to stay up:

Blackburn - 40 points, 2 wins in 6 and 0 in 4. To imagine they are going to somehow win 4/8 (and pick up another point) when they have won 9 of the previous 38 is unlikely

Burton - 41 points, 1 win in 6.

Forest - 41 points, 1 win in 6

Bristol - 41 points, 2 wins in 6

BirmIngham - 45 points, 1 win in 6

Ipswich- 45 points, 0 wins in 6

Wolves - 45 points, 3 wins in 6

Except for Wolves and Bristol city they are all out of form. Even if one of them did manage to turn it around the likelihood that they all could is slim (even those on 45 would need to win 3/8 to mean 53 points would go down). Having glanced at the remaining fixtures it looks like each of the teams below us have at least 2 remaining fixtures against one of the teams around them. Based on that I reckon 48/49 points will be safe.

If I was an ipswich fan I'd be very concerned no wins in 6 and only 2 in 13. The have the run in you don't want playing either the top 7 or the teams below them. Ipswich vs forest last game of the season looks huge.

We are not going down we are not going up, let's have a good end to the season to build some momentum for next year.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:02 am

consigliarikb0 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 am
beaglebum wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 am

No way will it be as high as 54 points to stay up:

Blackburn - 40 points, 2 wins in 6 and 0 in 4. To imagine they are going to somehow win 4/8 (and pick up another point) when they have won 9 of the previous 38 is unlikely

Burton - 41 points, 1 win in 6.

Forest - 41 points, 1 win in 6

Bristol - 41 points, 2 wins in 6

BirmIngham - 45 points, 1 win in 6

Ipswich- 45 points, 0 wins in 6

Wolves - 45 points, 3 wins in 6

Except for Wolves and Bristol city they are all out of form. Even if one of them did manage to turn it around the likelihood that they all could is slim (even those on 45 would need to win 3/8 to mean 53 points would go down). Having glanced at the remaining fixtures it looks like each of the teams below us have at least 2 remaining fixtures against one of the teams around them. Based on that I reckon 48/49 points will be safe.

If I was an ipswich fan I'd be very concerned no wins in 6 and only 2 in 13. The have the run in you don't want playing either the top 7 or the teams below them. Ipswich vs forest last game of the season looks huge.

We are not going down we are not going up, let's have a good end to the season to build some momentum for next year.
I think this league is so close, so who knows. In 2012/13 P'boro and Wolves went down on 54 & 51 pts (that said, Leicester made the playoffs on 68pts). https://genius.com/Football-league-cham ... -annotated At this stage of the year, they were in the bottom 3 on 42pts. http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... 2013-03-17 So maybe 54 is a bit high, but any team can beat another in this league, so maybe not done and dusted just yet.

/

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:23 am

We have eight games left and if we win them all statistically we should make the play offs.

Six of these games are against teams above us and includes a six pointer vs Wednesday who are in 6th place.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Good to see no one's getting carried away :lol:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm
You'll be as happy as the rest of us when Sylla scrambles home a 93rd minute winner at Wembley in May :wink:
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm
You'll be as happy as the rest of us when Sylla scrambles home a 93rd minute winner at Wembley in May :wink:
Sweeping in a pinpoint cross from recalled midfielder Karl Henry........