On way back

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

On way back

Post by Stateside Ranger » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Great result. When the Rotherham screamer went in I thought 'here we go' but we grew in confidence and the soft-ish looking pen really helped early second half.

Sat in the paddocks (first game in a while) near the Rs dugout, interesting to see, or more accurately hear, Ollie in action. First half we were moving it around quite nicely in our own half and he was up on his feet shouting "Quicker! Quicker!" at Freeman and Hall.

Second half when Ravel came on, he (Holloway) went absolutely beserk at one point. Ravel was stroking it around very elegantly it must be said, and Holloway came screaming out the dug-out, "UP! UP!" then a couple of seconds later, "THE GOAL IS THAT WAY! F***ING HELL!". Crowd laughed. Ravel then puts about 5% more effort into going forwards.

I thought Morrison was actually quality. He looks a class above and could have had a goal after Washington hit the post and another at the end when he bizarrely decided to pass it cross-field and backwards to Bidwell. Provided he can knuckle down I think he would be an asset.

Otherwise Freeman, Lynch, Washington were excellent. Furlong improved during the game. Goss think should be loaned out some more to get game-time he does look a bit light-weight. Oh and Matt Smith sensational goal and brilliant display as target-man. Luongo well done for the goal but otherwise wasn't bowled over today.

A 5-1 win is a luxury - great day out!

http://www.skysports.com/football/qpr-v ... ham/358563

bongo king
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: On way back

Post by bongo king » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Just back, first live game in aaaaages.

Generally agree. Thought first half was very even and there were even times we looked the poorer side. Rotherham really pressed, we made countless silly mistakes and it was like only Hall, Freeman and Smith turned up.

Second half a different game from the off. We were quality. Luongo and Yeni who I thought were awol the first half were class the second half.

Lol regarding Ravel! - didn't hear it being in the loft. He looked quality in general but also too eager to impress, sometimes in the ball hogging way. For a player of his class that was an absolute sitter he missed after Wash hit the post, and the stepovers and cruyff in the box leading to that backwards crossfield pass were bizarre.

Other than that thought Freeman was absolutely superb with some lovely skills. Washington a great cameo, he had real fire in the belly, showed great skill and deserved a goal.

Oh and their goal was superb.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Fully agree about their goal, definitely the pick of them today. Also kudos to the Milers fans who joined in with the applause for Stan on ten minutes, at least half of their fans joined in. I hope they bounce right back next season as it's definitely one of the better away trips.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Ravel looked fat to me.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:12 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:53 pm
Ravel looked fat to me.
He wouldn't have if he'd been stood next to me.

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Ravel looked fat to me.
He definitely looks like he's put a little bit on in his backside.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm

trevsinclair85 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Ravel looked fat to me.
Only eight games of the season left and I suspect he'll be buying Italian icecream next season. Done nothing and not enough time left to prove himself.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm
trevsinclair85 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 pm
stainesranger wrote:
Ravel looked fat to me.
Only eight games of the season left and I suspect he'll be buying Italian icecream next season. Done nothing and not enough time left to prove himself.
He'll just have to go back to live in Rome and stay there seeing his (probably quite lucrative) contract out. And then someone, somewhere will sign him because they think they might get the best out of him.

And he probably won't even have done enough in his career to damage his body to a level that might affect his health and happiness during his long retirement. Another one who has wasted his gifts without seemingly realising how wrong it's all gone.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 am

I don't get what people's problem with Morrison is. Sure he wasn't 100% match fit, we knew that when he arrived but he doesn't look that overweight or lacking in pace. Holloway is clearly giving him a chance and managing his time on the field to build up some sharpness but Saturday was the first time he had a decent run out. He looked a class above everyone else on the ball, seeming to have more time and awareness of what was around him. Made a lot of passes and I don't think he failed to complete any. If he'd have scored the Washington rebound (he should of) then he'd have had a very decent 30 minutes. If he'd got a chance from the stepover cameo then I wonder how many would be raving about it?

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:57 am

I think it is just schadenfreude. If QPR win 5-1 it is hard to find things to moan about. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:07 am

LanCat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 am
I don't get what people's problem with Morrison is. Sure he wasn't 100% match fit, we knew that when he arrived but he doesn't look that overweight or lacking in pace. Holloway is clearly giving him a chance and managing his time on the field to build up some sharpness but Saturday was the first time he had a decent run out. He looked a class above everyone else on the ball, seeming to have more time and awareness of what was around him. Made a lot of passes and I don't think he failed to complete any. If he'd have scored the Washington rebound (he should of) then he'd have had a very decent 30 minutes. If he'd got a chance from the stepover cameo then I wonder how many would be raving about it?
I thin people were a little frustrated that at 4-1, he wasn't attempting to be adventurous or creative enough. He just nonchalantly kept playing it back to the back 4 and the keeper, as if he couldn't be bothered. It was his chance to step up and say, "Hey, everyone, watch this!" and play a lovely through ball or something. He finally half-volleyed a lovely ball into Washington's path and that's when I was like, "thank god, been waiting 10 minutes for you to do that!" Okay, he's not 100% fit, but he could have had a little more urgency. Did he not want to prove something to everyone?? I think that's why people were a little perplexed with his performance. There's a quality footballer in there, but I fear he lacks the spirit or the heart for it. Could you imagine if he had Clint Hill's or Gareth Ainsworth's attitude to go with his ability? He'd go right to the top.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:20 am

trevsinclair85 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:07 am
LanCat wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:55 am
I thin people were a little frustrated that at 4-1, he wasn't attempting to be adventurous or creative enough. He just nonchalantly kept playing it back to the back 4 and the keeper, as if he couldn't be bothered. It was his chance to step up and say, "Hey, everyone, watch this!" and play a lovely through ball or something. He finally half-volleyed a lovely ball into Washington's path and that's when I was like, "thank god, been waiting 10 minutes for you to do that!" Okay, he's not 100% fit, but he could have had a little more urgency. Did he not want to prove something to everyone?? I think that's why people were a little perplexed with his performance. There's a quality footballer in there, but I fear he lacks the spirit or the heart for it. Could you imagine if he had Clint Hill's or Gareth Ainsworth's attitude to go with his ability? He'd go right to the top.
Thanks Trev I think you've nailed the Morrison conundrum right there!

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 am

I'm not moaning and I'm glad he's at the club, but I am making the observation that he's overweight because he is. Bit silly when you can't make accurate observations about a players fitness without being labelled a moaner.

Hope Holloway gets him fit because he showed some nice touches and could be a good player for us.

LanCat
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by LanCat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 am

Let's face it, if he was fit and had Ainsworth's attitude then he wouldn't be here. Part of me wants him to do ok but not brilliant between now and the end of the season so we can get him long term and see if Olly can make him that player when he's contracted to us and not just on loan so someone else benefits.

Also, I'm not calling anyone a moaner.

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't think RM lacked urgency. My take was he was playing the match 'properly', bit like an opening batsman in cricket. He wasn't forcing the play but he was creating pressure on Rotherham by playing the way he was facing, keeping it simple. The whole game did change when he came on and it was clear the Rotherham players were largely standing off him.

Yes he could have tried taking 5 on and crossing it Rabona-style but wouldn't we all be on here then talking about 'arrogant Morrison' / lack of maturity etc.

For me SMs report from the fans forum and Holloways comments about RM suggest the real issue is that the guy can't seem to show up to training on time and engage with the coaching. For whatever reason that's a far bigger problem that he would need to sort out. Otherwise it's AT all over again (which to be fair had some brilliant moments).

For me the last truly gifted AND professional player we had was Buzsaky.