Dustbin lids provide a good test

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Dustbin lids provide a good test

Post by dm » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:44 am

After a run of increasingly encouraging performances, our game against a 4th placed dirty Lids side gives Ollie and the team a good test to see have far we've come. And, given we're all but safe now, perhaps just a little tinkering with selection and tactics to try out new ideas wouldn't be a bad thing.

We need Ngbakoto to have a run in the side to see if he can further improve his form. I am still not 100% convinced by Washington. Nbakoto seems to me to offer more than the Norn Iron lad. Bench DC in favour of Yeni.

A start for Smith would be sensible. It's obviously him or Sylla for the CF spot these days. In this game, I'd favour Smith not only for his height - Lids are not good at aerial duels - but also for his obvious physicality. Get him to give dirty Lids a taste of their own medicine (or am I just living in the early 70s?).

Go with 343 again. Is this our best away formation? It's worked well recently and the players have bought into the hard work that appears to be required to make it successful. However, in Tuesday's game against Barnsley - 4231 - a new passing game was on show. And very nice it was too. Now, can the team bring together passing, going direct and counter attacking into one scintillating and winning performance?

Hope so.

If not, I'll be quite happy with a 1:1 draw.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Dustbin lids provide a good test

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:08 am

dm wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:44 am
In this game, I'd favour Smith not only for his height - Lids are not good at aerial duels - but also for his obvious physicality.
Have you not seen how Pontus Janssen and Bartley have been playing? :-)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:08 am
dm wrote:
In this game, I'd favour Smith not only for his height - Lids are not good at aerial duels - but also for his obvious physicality.
Yep, but WhoScored make this assessment. Not 100% reliable but still.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

dm wrote:
After a run of increasingly encouraging performances, our game against a 4th placed dirty Lids side gives Ollie and the team a good test to see have far we've come. And, given we're all but safe now, perhaps just a little tinkering with selection and tactics to try out new ideas wouldn't be a bad thing.

We need Ngbakoto to have a run in the side to see if he can further improve his form. I am still not 100% convinced by Washington. Nbakoto seems to me to offer more than the Norn Iron lad. Bench DC in favour of Yeni.

A start for Smith would be sensible. It's obviously him or Sylla for the CF spot these days. In this game, I'd favour Smith not only for his height - Lids are not good at aerial duels - but also for his obvious physicality. Get him to give dirty Lids a taste of their own medicine (or am I just living in the early 70s?).

Go with 343 again. Is this our best away formation? It's worked well recently and the players have bought into the hard work that appears to be required to make it successful. However, in Tuesday's game against Barnsley - 4231 - a new passing game was on show. And very nice it was too. Now, can the team bring together passing, going direct and counter attacking into one scintillating and winning performance?

Hope so.

If not, I'll be quite happy with a 1:1 draw.
I'm not sure what else he can do ... He scored 4 goals in 6 games (should have been 5 in 6 if the officials had done their job at Blackburn). Player of the month, has linked up well with Smith, and looked a real threat in and around the box. Yet still people write they are not convinced.

4 in 6 is the best strike rate of any QPR player since Charlie Austin left.

He's set up the odd goal for others along the way too.

:shock:
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:31 am

It will indeed be a stern test for us. The Professional Yorkshireman in my pub says the noise and atmosphere at Leeds home matches is really intense since they have hit form.

That said I forecast at least a point for us. Even if it's via an OG.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:38 am

Smith also had a season at Leeds so I'm sure he'll be itching to play.

100% starters today will be..

Smithies

Bidwell
Onuoha
Hall

Luongo
Freeman
Manning

Wzsolek

As for the rest who knows.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:38 am
Smith also had a season at Leeds so I'm sure he'll be itching to play.

100% starters today will be..

Smithies

Bidwell
Onuoha
Hall

Luongo
Freeman
Manning

Wzsolek

As for the rest who knows.
As the old cliche goes, it's one headache the manager won't mind at all.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 am

dm wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:08 am
dm wrote:
Yep, but WhoScored make this assessment. Not 100% reliable but still.
That is a stats analysis, I was basing it on matches I have seen them play in. Since that opening day victory, where I would have earmarked them for relegation, they have really got a good head of steam up under Gary Monk. I'll be happy if we can scrape a draw there today.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:39 am

dm wrote:
With our leaky defence having not being sorted out, I expect us to lose 0-1 or 1-2
unless somebody on here can confidently perceive of a clean sheet?
Staff Benda Bilili

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am
dm wrote:
I am still not 100% convinced by Washington.
I'm not sure what else he can do ... He scored 4 goals in 6 games (should have been 5 in 6 if the officials had done their job at Blackburn). Player of the month, has linked up well with Smith, and looked a real threat in and around the box. Yet still people write they are not convinced.

An eminently reasonable view Mr Z but remember just how long and how many games it's taken him to get to his present level. The argument that he's been played in positions to which he's not suited but I don't completely but that because he's found form while basically being played left of the striker.

For been the question must be, can he improve further and become a consistent scorer? I am not sure he can.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:16 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am
dm wrote:
I am still not 100% convinced by Washington.

An eminently reasonable view Mr Z but remember just how long and how many games it's taken him to get to his present level. The argument that he's been played in positions to which he's not suited but I don't completely but that because he's found form while basically being played left of the striker.

For been the question must be, can he improve further and become a consistent scorer? I am not sure he can.
He was being played as a winger and he hardly scored! We play him in the middle with a strike partner and he looks dangerous and starts scoring. It's not rocket science.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.