An Afternoon with Stan Bowles

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

consigliarikb0
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: An Afternoon with Stan Bowles

Post by consigliarikb0 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 am
I'm still not sure a match is the answer. So much money spent to organise it and so much spent by fans on travelling (and other expenses) and not going to Stan. For a footie match that no-one could ever care about.

There must be enough people involved with QPR with the knowledge to put on, say, a live on-line auction for donated Goodies? And nothing wasted on travelling expenses etc. Those not savvy enough to log in on the day could send in postal bids if a pre-prepared list of items was available.

Not traditional. Not as publicly "showy". Not as media-attractive (but what would they donate for filming?). Maybe not as smaltzy. But it would produce more dosh for Stanley, I'm sure.
They di an auction last season of the game shirts from the stan day and donated the money to alzheirmars association and stan.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Proper fundraising testimonials take a lot of organisation, so as Davef says, what's the actual point of organising one if the objective is to quickly raise money for Stan? And then who else qualifies after Stan?

The pressure being applied by individuals to railroad the club into doing what they think is right is not helpful.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 pm
And then who else qualifies after Stan?
Ron Hunt?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:06 am

Here's the Devil's Advocate bit ............... Lots of players earned decent wages playing football (better than the average working man). That they are struggling now is a shame but why should they deserve anything better than what the average working man of the time would expect?

Now the other part --- From when I first started supporting Rangers only one thing is still in my life. One brother. Everything else has been transitory --- relationships, homes, pets, jobs, hair, cars, whatever. QPR has always been part of my life and the players I have watched have given me some of the absolute best moments of my life. So that is why we should try to support Stan (and any of our other ex-players needing help) --- because they have been part of whatever QPR is.

I wonder how much the legal teams involved with the FFP and the new training ground and the new stadium have earned in the last five years? Yes we should help if we can but the the people at the club club, who rely on us to continue it's existence, should, IMO, stick their hands into their great big fat wallets and do some spending on those that need it. Chances are they'd hardly notice the money was gone. But we would --- and those who got helped would too.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

BiscuitRanger
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 am

Greyhound wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 pm
Proper fundraising testimonials take a lot of organisation, so as Davef says, what's the actual point of organising one if the objective is to quickly raise money for Stan? And then who else qualifies after Stan?

The pressure being applied by individuals to railroad the club into doing what they think is right is not helpful.
How much influence do you feel individual fans can have in applying pressure to railroad the club? It's a genuine question not a dig.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:15 am

In the article it was stated that his daughter walked him down the bookie where he placed a £10 bet. On that basis he isnt getting £10 of my money. I would rather donate to Qpr Community Trust.

All my choice and Im sure others will disagree but that's how it is here.

222gers
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:34 am

I understand the point but as far as I'm concerned, if he gets some pleasure from putting a tenner on the gee gees that's fine with me.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:56 am

How much influence do you feel individual fans can have in applying pressure to railroad the club? It's a genuine question not a dig.
I don't know, but I don't think it helps to make the debate so black and white, and some people are putting pressure on the club to provide answers or take actions when the situation is not straightforward, as demonstrated in some of the replies above. Formal involvement by the club raises the question of why the same intervention should not be applied to every ex player. Surely, the most direct route has already been taken, the establishment of a trust and some awareness raising so that individuals can donate as they see fit.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:15 am
In the article it was stated that his daughter walked him down the bookie where he placed a £10 bet. On that basis he isnt getting £10 of my money. I would rather donate to Qpr Community Trust.

Entirely your choice, but I tend to see it as if his daughter wasn't caring for him, providing him with care, stimulation and comfort he'd be suffering in a care home and it'd be costing the tax payer between £600 - £1500 a week.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:35 pm

DroopStreetOldBoys wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 pm
SheepRanger wrote:

Entirely your choice, but I tend to see it as if his daughter wasn't caring for him, providing him with care, stimulation and comfort he'd be suffering in a care home and it'd be costing the tax payer between £600 - £1500 a week.
Stimulation is correct with Stanley still visiting the bookies. This is what he has always done and so this is a part of his treatment now, keeping life as 'normal' as can be.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 am

SheepRanger wrote:

A former work colleague of mine is good friends with Stan's son Carl. If you would like to send a cheque to Stan please send it to me via DG.

This applies to all those who would have paid to watch a game. Please send cheques to DG made payable to 'Stanley Bowles" and when passed to me I will send to my friend who will pass onto Carl Bowles.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 am
SheepRanger wrote:

A former work colleague of mine is good friends with Stan's son Carl. If you would like to send a cheque to Stan please send it to me via DG.

This applies to all those who would have paid to watch a game. Please send cheques to DG made payable to 'Stanley Bowles" and when passed to me I will send to my friend who will pass onto Carl Bowles.
This seemed plausable, right up to until you said you had a friend.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:36 am
SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 am

This seemed plausable, right up to until you said you had a friend.
Feel free to register with 192.com where you can find Carl's address yourself should you wish to donate money. Yours helpfully, Sheepranger.

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/bowles/c ... 536594258/

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Instead of sending a cheque via Stan's son Carl and your former work colleague, why on earth wouldn't I contribute to the gofundme account for Stan?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:11 pm

consigliarikb0 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:29 pm
Seeing as we don't take the FA cup seriously....

Why not just donate all takings from the next FA cup home game to Stan.

Will make it a sell out, raise money and not take away from the club (as I doubt they budget for it).
Ah, easy then.