Joe Lumley

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Joe Lumley

Post by Bear-Grills » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm
Phil Parkes...

ONE England Cap under Sir Alf Ramsey.... Truly shocking.... How many did Shilton and Clemence accrue between them under Revie et al?

Shows how good he was remembering Parkesy was with us NINE years and is also considered a legend at Wet Spam as well....
He was very unlucky to have those two keepers as rivals for the England role.
We were lucky to have him between the sticks. In that great season of 1975-76, I learned not to panic when an opposition forward broke through and threatened to score. At times, Phil Parkes was roughly akin to having a wall on the goal line.
Smithies is very good, of course and he has plenty of time to develop.
I think Shilton just had the edge for me, but a very very slim one. No doubt in my mind Parkes was better than Clemence though, and Joe Corrigan who also got more caps. Parkes suffered like Les Ferdinand for not playing for a "big" team (which demonstrates what a good keeper Shilton was to overcome the same handicap).
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

BiscuitRanger
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Shilton was 'alledgedly' a wife beater
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:43 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm
We played Southampton the game after his wife reported him to the police and when he was playing in front of the Loft a bloke near me kept shouting at him, "Peter... Peter... Peter..." He was being ignored but the guy persisted and eventually Shilton looked around to see who was it was and was met with "Can you give my missus a lift home after the game" :lol:
Later in the half Shilton came off his line to punch a ball clear but ended up flapping at it and the same bloke immediately piped up with "Jesus Christ Peter, I bet you hit your missus harder than that didn't you?" Shilts didn't respond but you could see him set his jaw, I bet he would have loved a couple of minutes alone with him.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:43 pm
BiscuitRanger wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm
We played Southampton the game after his wife reported him to the police and when he was playing in front of the Loft a bloke near me kept shouting at him, "Peter... Peter... Peter..." He was being ignored but the guy persisted and eventually Shilton looked around to see who was it was and was met with "Can you give my missus a lift home after the game" :lol:
Later in the half Shilton came off his line to punch a ball clear but ended up flapping at it and the same bloke immediately piped up with "Jesus Christ Peter, I bet you hit your missus harder than that didn't you?" Shilts didn't respond but you could see him set his jaw, I bet he would have loved a couple of minutes alone with him.
That's mild border line friendly in today's terms.

Systemsguy
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 pm
kernowhoop wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm
Phil Parkes...

ONE England Cap under Sir Alf Ramsey.... Truly shocking.... How many did Shilton and Clemence accrue between them under Revie et al?

Shows how good he was remembering Parkesy was with us NINE years and is also considered a legend at Wet Spam as well....
He was very unlucky to have those two keepers as rivals for the England role.
We were lucky to have him between the sticks. In that great season of 1975-76, I learned not to panic when an opposition forward broke through and threatened to score. At times, Phil Parkes was roughly akin to having a wall on the goal line.
Smithies is very good, of course and he has plenty of time to develop.
I think Shilton just had the edge for me, but a very very slim one. No doubt in my mind Parkes was better than Clemence though, and Joe Corrigan who also got more caps. Parkes suffered like Les Ferdinand for not playing for a "big" team (which demonstrates what a good keeper Shilton was to overcome the same handicap).
Joe Corrigan only got his caps because Phil Parkes quit the England setup and even Peter Shilton was starting to throw his toys out of his pram as he was playing second fiddle to Clemence at the time....

Phil if I remember rightly quit Revie's England team due to Revie reneging on a promise of a half of an England v Wales home international match.... Ray Clemence played both halves in a tight match...
2016/2017.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

What a thoroughly dislikeable git Revie was.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:58 am

dm wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm
What a thoroughly dislikeable git Revie was.
Unlike most Yorkshire folk. hysterical hysterical hysterical
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".