Joe Lumley

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Joe Lumley

Post by Satch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:56 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am
QPR1976 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 pm
It's a bit like when everyone raved about McCarthy and said he was better than Green. It doesn't seem to have turned out that way. Palarse didn't think so and Green despite the occasional clanger, could be in for another Wembley Playoff MotM award.....?

Whilst I agree Smithies has saved us many points so far this season, a fair percentage of those are penalty saves. Yes, he's made good reflex saves also, but surely that should be expected of a Pro keeper. Our defence is average at best.

Name a REALLY bad Pro Keeper. Green ? Well the stats suggest not.
Who has been QPR's worst ? (Other than Bankole, who only made 1 appearance as I recall)
If your taking Smithies for granted as just saved a few pens good reflexes & does what you expect a keeper to do then let's hope we don't sell him because you may live to eat those words.

Smithies is the best I've ever seen down at Loftus road & that's 20yrs, he is a class act & has kept scores down won us points & been the hero on many occasions this season, I think you may appreciate him more if he left, I just really hope that doesn't happen.
Agree with Lala, don't underestimate how good Smithies has been for us. If it wasn't for him we could well be starring another relegation in the face.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:15 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 am
QPR1976 wrote:
It's a bit like when everyone raved about McCarthy and said he was better than Green. It doesn't seem to have turned out that way. Palarse didn't think so and Green despite the occasional clanger, could be in for another Wembley Playoff MotM award.....?

Whilst I agree Smithies has saved us many points so far this season, a fair percentage of those are penalty saves. Yes, he's made good reflex saves also, but surely that should be expected of a Pro keeper. Our defence is average at best.

Who has been QPR's worst ? (Other than Bankole, who only made 1 appearance as I recall)
Jurgen Sommer
i second that, I lost count of the times I watched him make a spectacular dive as the ball hit the net.

Nice bloke though gave gloves away a few times before games & always signed programmes etc
Tony Roberts never gave his gloves away....I don't think he could find 'em in the back of the net !

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am

ZENITH R wrote:
QPR1976 wrote:

Jurgen Sommer
QPR 1 - Villa 0. Sommer applauded of by both sets of fans and players as he single-handedly stopped Villa winning by a Cricket score. And Gallen's winner shouldn't have been because it never crossed the line.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am

DAVEf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am
ZENITH R wrote:
QPR1976 wrote:

Jurgen Sommer
QPR 1 - Villa 0. Sommer applauded of by both sets of fans and players as he single-handedly stopped Villa winning by a Cricket score. And Gallen's winner shouldn't have been because it never crossed the line.
Took you a while to post that, I take it you had to sift through the other 60 match reports to find it.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am
DAVEf wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:

Jurgen Sommer
Took you a while to post that, I take it you had to sift through the other 60 match reports to find it.
That maybe says much about you? ethink

I was at that game. And at many/most that JS played in --- and we've had many worse.

And if you see the best source of information as match reports then maybe my view should be considered superior with no further comment needed.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:15 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am
DAVEf wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:

Jurgen Sommer
hysterical

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm

There must be a serious risk that we shall lose Smithies in the summer. Top flight clubs will be watching him. One or two of them certainly have goal-keeping problems - Liverpool and Manchester City, for example. But, if he has to go, then please may we have a serious lump of money for him. I remember when Phil Parkes went to West Ham - was it for about £600,000? Daylight robbery.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:01 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm
There must be a serious risk that we shall lose Smithies in the summer. Top flight clubs will be watching him. One or two of them certainly have goal-keeping problems - Liverpool and Manchester City, for example. But, if he has to go, then please may we have a serious lump of money for him. I remember when Phil Parkes went to West Ham - was it for about £600,000? Daylight robbery.
I might be wrong but was that not a world record for a keeper at the time

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:01 pm
kernowhoop wrote:
Oh dear! Yes, it was. My old mind has let me down, again. Still too little, though. :wink:

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:00 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:01 pm
kernowhoop wrote:
Oh dear! Yes, it was. My old mind has let me down, again. Still too little, though. :wink:
West Ham have always mugged us when it comes to transfers
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 pm

We've had a few world record payments for keepers.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Found this on a Bristol Rovers forum. Not trying to be smug, but one of the posters say to give QPR a million now to secure his services.
http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9386/fan-peace
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Phil Parkes...

ONE England Cap under Sir Alf Ramsey.... Truly shocking.... How many did Shilton and Clemence accrue between them under Revie et al?

Shows how good he was remembering Parkesy was with us NINE years and is also considered a legend at Wet Spam as well....
2017/2018.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm
Phil Parkes...

ONE England Cap under Sir Alf Ramsey.... Truly shocking.... How many did Shilton and Clemence accrue between them under Revie et al?

Shows how good he was remembering Parkesy was with us NINE years and is also considered a legend at Wet Spam as well....
He was very unlucky to have those two keepers as rivals for the England role.
We were lucky to have him between the sticks. In that great season of 1975-76, I learned not to panic when an opposition forward broke through and threatened to score. At times, Phil Parkes was roughly akin to having a wall on the goal line.
Smithies is very good, of course and he has plenty of time to develop.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Found this on a Bristol Rovers forum. Not trying to be smug, but one of the posters say to give QPR a million now to secure his services.
http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9386/fan-peace
Was it their manager?