Joe Lumley

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Joe Lumley

Post by Satch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:19 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 pm
Satch wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 pm
Sounds like he's still doing well for them.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9386/fan-peace

Hopefully the club hang on to him, i think we should prepare for the likelihood we will need to cash in on Smithies at some point and if not, i imagine Ingram won't want to spend the rest of his career on the bench.
I've been thinking the same and would say its 50/50 as to whether we can keep hold of Smithies in the summer. But if he does go his fee would boost the transfer fund. Ingram is a good, potentially excellent keeper, and by the sounds of it Lumley might just be ready to step up to second keeper - though at 21 he is still on the young side.
If we keep Smithies, i think there is a good chance it might only be for another year. Keep Joe out on loan getting experience if we do.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 pm

If we keep Smithies, the Bristol fans think they will secure Lumley's services for around £300k which, IMVHO, is about 1/4 of his current worth.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 pm
If we keep Smithies, the Bristol fans think they will secure Lumley's services for around £300k which, IMVHO, is about 1/4 of his current worth.
Is it though? We didn't pay much more than that for Smithies and i think less than that for Ingram. I think we should try and hang on to him.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Of course, should we keep hold of him this summer and gain promotion next season, Smithies may well opt to stay.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:06 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm
Of course, should we keep hold of him this summer and gain promotion next season, Smithies may well opt to stay.
I'm sure he would, but i don't think we should be making any plans on that basis.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
How do you figure our 3rd choice goalkeeper is worth £1.2M ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 pm

There best player moved up a division for 300k, I'm not sure they could afford 1.2m for our third choice keeper, infact i don't think any club in league 1 or 2 could afford that for a player.

If he's doing well then loan him out again for next season, he won't get a kick behind our current two so let him gain experience & hopefully watch his stock rise.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
How do you figure our 3rd choice goalkeeper is worth £1.2M ?
At Bristol he is regularly their best, or one of their best players each game. He is 22? years old which means he is precocious for a keeper. If he had replaced Green as our regular first team keeper I don't think we would be finding to much to complain about. IMO he is a real prospect. As a matter of interest, what do you think Smithies would fetch this Summer?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 pm

I wasn't knocking Lumley at all. I'll bow to your greater knowledge, as I've seen very little of him. However he' s barely into double figures in terms of league appearances, so unless he's a genuinely exceptional talent, I can't see how he could possibly command a £1.2M fee at this stage of his career.

As for Smithies, I've no idea what we could get, but goalkeepers generally seem to go for less than outfield players. I'd probably be disappointed if he went for less than £5M, but I'm not sure what the best case would be.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:49 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 pm
I wasn't knocking Lumley at all. I'll bow to your greater knowledge, as I've seen very little of him. However he' s barely into double figures in terms of league appearances, so unless he's a genuinely exceptional talent, I can't see how he could possibly command a £1.2M fee at this stage of his career.

As for Smithies, I've no idea what we could get, but goalkeepers generally seem to go for less than outfield players. I'd probably be disappointed if he went for less than £5M, but I'm not sure what the best case would be.
I don't know if it because I saw him make his debut for us and how well he played, as well as other appearances for the first team, so maybe a bit of the rose tinted glasses going on but even in pre match drills at LR he looked as good as those who were above him in the pecking order and I try to watch all his highlights in the Bristol games. IMO he is a talent. Butland, who is 2 years older with England experience, is valued at £8m so Joe isn't a million miles behind him. It's all subjective I know, as it will depend on how much need a team has of a keeper and how much they are willing to pay but if I was a gambling man I'd risk a pound on him playing in the Premier League one day, barring injuries.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:28 am

A lot of inter-league pricing is ridiculous and seemingly greatly based on the TV money clubs get. If Lumley moved to Rovers for 300K and they then, within 3 months, sold him to a Championship club, the price would likely be between £500K and £1M (because that's what many/most Championship clubs expect to pay for a promising/decent keeper). If that Championship club received a bid from a Prem club within three months they would expect to be paid at least £1M. And it's unlikley he would have improved that much in six months? Of course any relegation would drop the player's value down again regardless of their performance levels.

's a funny ol' game.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 am

QPR1976 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 pm
It's a bit like when everyone raved about McCarthy and said he was better than Green. It doesn't seem to have turned out that way. Palarse didn't think so and Green despite the occasional clanger, could be in for another Wembley Playoff MotM award.....?

Whilst I agree Smithies has saved us many points so far this season, a fair percentage of those are penalty saves. Yes, he's made good reflex saves also, but surely that should be expected of a Pro keeper. Our defence is average at best.

Name a REALLY bad Pro Keeper. Green ? Well the stats suggest not.
Who has been QPR's worst ? (Other than Bankole, who only made 1 appearance as I recall)
Jurgen Sommer
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 am
QPR1976 wrote:
It's a bit like when everyone raved about McCarthy and said he was better than Green. It doesn't seem to have turned out that way. Palarse didn't think so and Green despite the occasional clanger, could be in for another Wembley Playoff MotM award.....?

Whilst I agree Smithies has saved us many points so far this season, a fair percentage of those are penalty saves. Yes, he's made good reflex saves also, but surely that should be expected of a Pro keeper. Our defence is average at best.

Who has been QPR's worst ? (Other than Bankole, who only made 1 appearance as I recall)
Jurgen Sommer
Tony Roberts

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am

QPR1976 wrote:

If your taking Smithies for granted as just saved a few pens good reflexes & does what you expect a keeper to do then let's hope we don't sell him because you may live to eat those words.

Smithies is the best I've ever seen down at Loftus road & that's 20yrs, he is a class act & has kept scores down won us points & been the hero on many occasions this season, I think you may appreciate him more if he left, I just really hope that doesn't happen.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:29 am
QPR1976 wrote:

Jurgen Sommer
i second that, I lost count of the times I watched him make a spectacular dive as the ball hit the net.

Nice bloke though gave gloves away a few times before games & always signed programmes etc