Get the feeling Olly really didnt get on with Chery

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

qprhoops81
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Get the feeling Olly really didnt get on with Chery

Postby qprhoops81 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:21 am

odd little dig?

“You can’t be a luxury at this level like Mr (Tjaronn) Chery, who takes set-plays and corners and free-kicks.

“At this level you’ve got to have everyone in it together and putting a shift in, and Eze has done that for me so far and long may that continue.
The problem with quotations on the internet is, you don't know whether they're accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

PeterS
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Get the feeling Olly really didnt get on with Chery

Postby PeterS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 am

How many assists for Chery this season? Ollie prefers the likes of Steve Palmer in midfield!

Jamie
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby Jamie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

He's been getting a few odd digs in that I'm not sure are that advisable.

Also, this is QPR, we absolutely bloody love a luxury player. Well, we used to anyway.
"I still don't like calling her (Rosie) a dog. She was better than that" - Harry Redknapp

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Postby UxbridgeR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 am

Jamie wrote:He's been getting a few odd digs in that I'm not sure are that advisable.

Also, this is QPR, we absolutely bloody love a luxury player. Well, we used to anyway.

Totally agree. The idea that Chery didn't "put a shift in" is frankly cobblers. Meanwhile good old Eze has played about 20 mins for us, but is the new flavour of the month.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

consigliarikb0
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby consigliarikb0 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am

PeterS wrote:How many assists for Chery this season? Ollie prefers the likes of Steve Palmer in midfield!

3, not great for a guy the team was allegedly being built around (and 4 goals, 3 of which were pens).

also noticed that Chery has been removed from the club stats page.

Jamie
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby Jamie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:01 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Jamie wrote:He's been getting a few odd digs in that I'm not sure are that advisable.

Totally agree. The idea that Chery didn't "put a shift in" is frankly cobblers. Meanwhile good old Eze has played about 20 mins for us, but is the new flavour of the month.

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/foo ... _1_4843738

Speaking about his time back at the club so far he said: “I thought we’d have got more wins than what we have done to be honest and I thought the squad had a better unity than we’ve actually got."

Thought our team spirit was fairly good to be honest. All the signs suggested they were. Players celebrating with each other etc. Obviously, I could be completely wrong, but I think we all had that feeling. There were numerous threads on it. And it's vastly improved from what it once was.

I love Olly. But was he always like this? He's now currently doing all the things that I disliked about Redknapp. Playing a weakened team in the cup just at the beginning of the transfer window. Talking about needing a few more bodies in. Dropping some players in it. Bad mouthing some of the players. Criticising performances after selecting a side. Saying he's going to play Washington up front in a two, then actually using him the same way JFH did. Picking the lineup from a tombola.

I absolutely want Olly to succeed and I want him to succeed in playing entertaining attacking football. But I am concerned at the methods and the performances.
"I still don't like calling her (Rosie) a dog. She was better than that" - Harry Redknapp

Jamie
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby Jamie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 am

consigliarikb0 wrote:
PeterS wrote:How many assists for Chery this season? Ollie prefers the likes of Steve Palmer in midfield!

3, not great for a guy the team was allegedly being built around (and 4 goals, 3 of which were pens).

also noticed that Chery has been removed from the club stats page.

4 goals 3 assists.
That's involvement in 7 goals.

We've scored 24.
Involved in roughly 29% of our goals this season.

That stat could be used to show how important a player he is, or in taken with the few goals we've scored show that he's inhibited the side. Depends on how you view Chery I guess.

My view is that he was one of the better players in an under performing side. Performance is relative, we were doing very badly according to most but now we're worse.

westlondonlalala
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby westlondonlalala » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 am

3 assists that have been converted, at one stage this season he had created the most chances for team mates in the division, the fact that we didn't convert them is not his fault.

Where did these quotes from Ollie come from is there a link?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Postby QPR_John » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 am

Surely people are not beginning to question Holloway?

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby Rbee » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:39 am

Jamie wrote:Also, this is QPR, we absolutely bloody love a luxury player. Well, we used to anyway.

A luxury player requires an excellent supporting cast and Chery hasn't had that at QPR so we will never really know how good he is.

However he isn't a Rodney, Stanley, Adel etc and in our current situation perhaps we really don't have room for a luxury player.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Postby White Duck » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 am

"Playing a weakened team in the cup just at the beginning of the transfer window."

As did every side in the top two divisions. And the FA Cup 3rd round is played at the beginning of the transfer window every year.
Lex Talionis........

BiscuitRanger
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Postby BiscuitRanger » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:45 am

Rbee wrote:
A luxury player requires an excellent supporting cast and Chery hasn't had that at QPR so we will never really know how good he is.

However he isn't a Rodney, Stanley, Adel etc and in our current situation perhaps we really don't have room for a luxury player.

Fully agree with the first comment.

However TC is a bit of a hybrid, not in the same talent class as those mentioned, but he does put in a decent shift. He gets frustrated (and frustrating) at times, but again not in the same league as AT.

On balance he is definitely worth keeping and interg rating into a side/playing style that will get the most from the talent we have.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Postby Satch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Jamie wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/foo ... _1_4843738

Speaking about his time back at the club so far he said: “I thought we’d have got more wins than what we have done to be honest and I thought the squad had a better unity than we’ve actually got."

Thought our team spirit was fairly good to be honest. All the signs suggested they were. Players celebrating with each other etc. Obviously, I could be completely wrong, but I think we all had that feeling. There were numerous threads on it. And it's vastly improved from what it once was.

I love Olly. But was he always like this? He's now currently doing all the things that I disliked about Redknapp. Playing a weakened team in the cup just at the beginning of the transfer window. Talking about needing a few more bodies in. Dropping some players in it. Bad mouthing some of the players. Criticising performances after selecting a side. Saying he's going to play Washington up front in a two, then actually using him the same way JFH did. Picking the lineup from a tombola.

I absolutely want Olly to succeed and I want him to succeed in playing entertaining attacking football. But I am concerned at the methods and the performances.

Agreed team spirit was not an issue before and as much as many fans felt Hasselbaink was arrogant etc, the players seemed to like and respect him.

Yes, Holloway was a bit like this before. It wasn't as bad and there was more of the post promotion glow still there. But he was critical of players. Ian Evatt and his red boots, we ended up making a loss on Evatt in the end (ironically to Blackpool). Lee Cook and his gloves, Cook couldn't buy a start for a long time (not suggesting Holloway operates such a system, unlike a more recent manager) and had most fans convinced Cook was a luxury and overrated. He was always trying to bring in players too. Agreed he's also done the classic early transfer window tactic. He also seems broken, the bizarre rant about Brighton fans, complaining about the performance of teams he's selected. Taking credit for throwing in the next cab off the rank youth team player (whilst mostly ignoring Shodipo who seems to be blaming for a defensive error several matches ago).

I really want him to succeed too, i want an end to the merry go round of managers and who better than someone who has played for the club, has some affection (even if it's overplayed) for it and is liked by the fans. But at the moment he's all the things i feared he would be, broken, unwilling to work with the players, obsessed with certain players (often in the wrong position), full of sound bites etc. Ideally Ferdinand and Hoos will take him to one side and tell him to shut his mouth and focus on getting results and he'll knuckle down and work within in the new system.

We do, he never did, Cook on the bench (as mentioned). Midfield duos involving Bean, Bircham, Santos, Palmer (Rowlands mostly stuck out wide).

UxbridgeR wrote:

Agreed, also often you don't want your number ten (of which we only have one) charging around the pitch out of position. I'm glad Eze got a game, but it's not as if Holloway spotted something no one else did. Meanwhile, we've seen less of Shodipo.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Postby Esox Lucius » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:3 assists that have been converted, at one stage this season he had created the most chances for team mates in the division, the fact that we didn't convert them is not his fault.

Where did these quotes from Ollie come from is there a link?

I can't find a link online ATM but about 2 weeks ago I saw somewhere that he had created more chances for team mates than any other player in the EFL. I don't believe Chery... or Polter, or ELK are a problem at QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/foo ... _1_4844032

Quote about Chery being a luxury in the middle of this piece about Eze

I am not sad to see Chery go, he has never really produced for us and is a luxury that we cannot afford at the minute
QPR & Ireland

Return to “QPR Discussion”