I want to be proud...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

froods
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by froods » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Trojan wrote:We are not that bad off as a club. If you look at the league tables there are far bigger clubs struggling in relegation dog-fights (Sheff Wed, Derby,Ipswich, Reading) and in the lower leagues (Leeds, Charlton, Norwich)...
cough, splutter... READING! :shock:

gblockpete
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by gblockpete » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 pm

"We are not that bad off as a club. If you look at the league tables there are far bigger clubs struggling in relegation dog-fights (Sheff Wed, Derby,Ipswich, Reading) and in the lower leagues (Leeds, Charlton, Norwich) and look at Southampton, 15 in league 1!? We shouldn't be feeling "disinterested, dissatisfied, weak & frankly very angry" or "disgusted" we should be feeling a bit pissed off that we have another new manager, a bit pissed off we could and should have got more points from our last few games. But still feel we can make the play-offs this season, why not, we can do it. Otherwise whats the point in turning up, we may as well go and do something else."

I think that's what is known as totally missing the point.

Boston R's
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Boston R's » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:09 am

froods wrote:cough, splutter... READING! :shock:
:shock: :(

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Trojan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:25 am

gblockpete wrote:"We are not that bad off as a club. If you look at the league tables there are far bigger clubs struggling in relegation dog-fights (Sheff Wed, Derby,Ipswich, Reading) and in the lower leagues (Leeds, Charlton, Norwich) and look at Southampton, 15 in league 1!? We shouldn't be feeling "disinterested, dissatisfied, weak & frankly very angry" or "disgusted" we should be feeling a bit pissed off that we have another new manager, a bit pissed off we could and should have got more points from our last few games. But still feel we can make the play-offs this season, why not, we can do it. Otherwise whats the point in turning up, we may as well go and do something else."

I think that's what is known as totally missing the point.
I'm not missing the point at all. Markybabar (great name by the way) is dissatisfied with our owners and their dealings. So am I, but six years ago we were the Southampton of league 2. OK, so they have sacked another manager and we are back to square 1 again, but I'm getting right behind Paul Hart and the players because thats all we have, 11 players in the hoops with a decent chance at making the play-offs.
Sorry in advance.

gblockpete
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by gblockpete » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:12 am

I'm sorry to labour the point Trojan, but I'm afraid you have totally missed the point. I've just gone back and re-read the original post just in case I'd got it wrong.
What seemed to me to be a genuine and heartfelt piece was nothing to do with how many points we currently have nor our position in the league table. And let's be brutally honest, we're only where we are because the majority of teams in the division are as mediocre as we are.
His concerns go a lot deeper than that, in a nutshell, it's about the alienation of a lot of supporters from the club we all love. Fair enough, not all feel the same, and league position and or promotion to the "promised land" is all that matters to some.
For me, after almost 50 years, it goes a lot deeper than that. It's about identity, and I'm fast losing my sense of it.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:18 am

Well said, Pete. But why have you got a picture of Rblockells as your avatar?
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Markybabar
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Markybabar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:41 am

gblockpete wrote:I'm sorry to labour the point Trojan, but I'm afraid you have totally missed the point. I've just gone back and re-read the original post just in case I'd got it wrong. What seemed to me to be a genuine and heartfelt piece was nothing to do with how many points we currently have nor our position in the league table. And let's be brutally honest, we're only where we are because the majority of teams in the division are as mediocre as we are. His concerns go a lot deeper than that, in a nutshell, it's about the alienation of a lot of supporters from the club we all love. Fair enough, not all feel the same, and league position and or promotion to the "promised land" is all that matters to some. For me, after almost 50 years, it goes a lot deeper than that. It's about identity, and I'm fast losing my sense of it.
This is exactly why I posted the long message.

I'm glad someone understands.
I KNOW IAM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M RANGERS 'TILL I DIE!

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:46 pm

Why would one person ask another to crash his car into a wall? (Aledgedly). Whatever is going on, there is no logical answer. My feeling is that the owners are trying to do it on a bit of a shoestring and are fearful of investing too much capital. Remember what happened to Leeds. I hope that is the case. But I agree with your sentiments and the new badge is utter shieser.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:37 pm

gblockpete wrote:I'm sorry to labour the point Trojan, but I'm afraid you have totally missed the point. I've just gone back and re-read the original post just in case I'd got it wrong.
What seemed to me to be a genuine and heartfelt piece was nothing to do with how many points we currently have nor our position in the league table. And let's be brutally honest, we're only where we are because the majority of teams in the division are as mediocre as we are.
His concerns go a lot deeper than that, in a nutshell, it's about the alienation of a lot of supporters from the club we all love. Fair enough, not all feel the same, and league position and or promotion to the "promised land" is all that matters to some.
For me, after almost 50 years, it goes a lot deeper than that. It's about identity, and I'm fast losing my sense of it.
Could it be that many of us (especially the "older" ones) are arrogantly guilty of wanting things to stay the same and of thinking it's just "us"?

The English Football World started changing with all-seater stadiums and Sky TV while the World generally has changed a lot in a decade or so and that includes Football. Worldwide and English Football especially.

"Wars", Bankers, loss of faith in politicians (and "leaders" generally) radical religious terrorism and the WWW bringing so much instant involvement and sharing of ideas/worries/theories have influenced all of us and our Lives.

The top English clubs are no longer owned by families (or at least English families) or English businessmen interested in local matters, kudos and contacts, it's now corporations and foreign "investors" interested in --- ["insert own theories here"]. And it has seeped down through the leagues. Those that have avoided being affected (infected?) have mostly struggled and slipped.

I don't know what the answer is, if an answer is needed or if there is an answer ---- but getting down about it and wishing it was all back as it was can't be the answer?

Things are as they are and for anyone wanting pleasure in the future from Football and their club(s) then it surely needs a reassessment of approach and attention which possibly heavily involves accepting and enjoying the Realities of things as they are and not how we want them to be?

And for QPR, the Realities appear, currently, to be somewhat better than they are for many other Football clubs.

Personally I think I do care a bit less than I used to. I worry less and accept more about events at LR. But I still spend a lot of time and money on Footy (Rangers mostly) and am still getting a lot of pleasure (and pain) from that ---- as I always have done.

But then I am clearly much more cleverer than most. Innit.

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Trojan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Very good post, Davef.
Sorry in advance.

pigbagQPR
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by pigbagQPR » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Ask the kids who turned up in the cold this week if they feel it is not a family club. Ask the people who help and those who benefit from the QPR in the community projects if they think it is a family club.

If our owners had splashed the cash Chelsea style then no doubt you would claim the heart had been ripped out of the club. It is clear that the board set a budget and the team is improving with every transfer window. We may get promoted, we should make the playoffs. The football has improved tremendously this year and I have enjoyed most of the games win, lose or draw. The atmosphere in my part of the ground is much improved with little critisism or booing and the children who sit in front of me enjoy the game without hearing foul language (and I am not in the family block).

I do not have fans of other clubs say we are a joke. If they are not in the Prem they envy the fact that we have securuty and respect that we are building a team not buying success in the manner some expected.
If they support Prem clubs they can be amused by the goings on at HQ but this was happening long before the current owners came in and it would not be the QPR I know and love if this was not happening.

I am very happy with the club and can only see more improvements over the next few years. Enjoy the moment!

Spiritof76
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Spiritof76 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:09 pm

I wonder how long this thread can go with people missing the point, then getting it, then missing it again...

Could be a new year spanner!?
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Markybabar
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Markybabar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Ooooh I do hope so!

Then again.
I KNOW IAM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M RANGERS 'TILL I DIE!

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:34 am

I agree with all of the above

incidentally I did ask my Reading, West Ham and Southampton supporting mates if we were a laughing stock and they said ' no more than Man City or Watford '

And for the next game I would officially like to buy anyone who has posted on this thread a drink in the Weld on Boxing day.

Peace and Goodwill etc...