Keeping our feet firmly on the ground

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

loonee
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Keeping our feet firmly on the ground

Post by loonee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Fair enough, don't disagree that we need someone to improve our strikers, whether there is anything that can be done for Dykes who knows. Unfortunately as you say, we don't have the money for Charlie to stay as coach or player anyway.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm

I think we should bear in mind where the current financial climate and restrictions allows us to spend/buy. Allied to that we won't be having a free run at players with other clubs circling if they are on the radar.

We need to be a bit more patient with signings and understand that players develop at different speeds - Mark Warburton has already alluded to Dykes not having an academy background, and there will be certain things that will need working on.

Bonne is probably not alone with having a stronger playing side but might query the criticism on positional sense- got himself into three good positions on Saturday and just failed to apply the position. He has found the net on his limited full appearances so something to work with but he needs time too.

Hopefully the current form of the team and impact of Charlie and Johansen with Field will help with an environment which can help these lads develop.

Bottom line is we signed both for transfer fees which we need to recoup and hopefully make a profit on - this is what football should be about developing players and watching them improve given time and opportunity.

Sadly I see it from grassroots youth football upwards - cut corners at every opportunity for perceived success and glory.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:00 pm

We have to balance developing players with continuing to compete at this level though. Spending £250-500k on 18 / 19 year olds like Walsh and Kelman is an investment in the future. There's no expectation that they'll contribute at first team level for a while yet, and if they do, it's an unexpected bonus.

Spending around £2M apiece on the likes of Bonne and Dykes is different. It's relatively big money for us these days, and while I'm sure they can improve as players over time, they also have to contribute in the here and now. They're both 25 years old, which is not particularly young in footballing terms. Poor service has been a mitigating factor to some extent, but four goals between them from open play is not good enough however you look at it. I'm not saying we should write them off, not least because we can't afford to, but I don't think criticism of them (and whoever is responsible for signing them) is unfair at this point.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:03 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 pm
Bonne - poor 1st touch, no left foot, poor positioning acumen
I always thought his positioning was pretty good, just his finishing was a bit cack.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:44 am

Warburton has given a vote of confidence to Dykes and Bonne. He's said he's not worried by their lack of goals and that they'll learn from Austin.

I continue to hold out hope that Dykes will improve, particularly if we play more to the strengths he shows for Scotland.

For Bonne, I'm afraid I'm struggling to find anything much to be optimistic about. I hope I'm wrong.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am

Devonranger wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm
Bonne is probably not alone with having a stronger playing side but might query the criticism on positional sense- got himself into three good positions on Saturday and just failed to apply the position. He has found the net on his limited full appearances so something to work with but he needs time too.
Yeah, he reminds me of Hugill in some ways. One of them is that he spanners quite a few easy chances, but also that he gets them in the first place.
Also need to factor in minutes on the pitch. I think if Bonne scores another league goal he would be on par with Hugill in terms of minutes per goal. People are demanding a lot and part of the problem is not many goals are coming from elsewhere on the pitch compared to last year.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 pm

jimjams wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am
Devonranger wrote:
Yeah, he reminds me of Hugill in some ways. One of them is that he spanners quite a few easy chances, but also that he gets them in the first place.
Also need to factor in minutes on the pitch. I think if Bonne scores another league goal he would be on par with Hugill in terms of minutes per goal. People are demanding a lot and part of the problem is not many goals are coming from elsewhere on the pitch compared to last year.
That's not strictly true. Last season we had 16 different goal scorers, including one og. This year we have also had 16 different goal scorers including 1 og. So, exactly the same. The issue is that 63 goals were scored last season by players who are no longer here. Plus Amos contributed 2 and he's out for the season. At this stage last season (after 29 games) we had: W 11 D 5 L 13 F 47 A 53 Pts: 38 GD - 6. This season we have W 10 D 9 L 10 F 30 A 34 Pts: 39 GD - 4. So marginally (very marginally) better. We haven't scored as many (17 less) but we haven't let as many in (9 less). If you love the goals, then last season was better, but if you prefer to see a more solid defence then this one rules.

We are currently one place higher than where we were this time last season too.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 pm
jimjams wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am
Devonranger wrote:
That's not strictly true. Last season we had 16 different goal scorers, including one og. This year we have also had 16 different goal scorers including 1 og. So, exactly the same. The issue is that 63 goals were scored last season by players who are no longer here. Plus Amos contributed 2 and he's out for the season. At this stage last season (after 29 games) we had: W 11 D 5 L 13 F 47 A 53 Pts: 38 GD - 6. This season we have W 10 D 9 L 10 F 30 A 34 Pts: 39 GD - 4. So marginally (very marginally) better. We haven't scored as many (17 less) but we haven't let as many in (9 less). If you love the goals, then last season was better, but if you prefer to see a more solid defence then this one rules.

Praise the Lord that we have won 6 of the last 7 league games, what a difference the catalyst (CA) has made, not only in goals scored, but in confidence given to the rest of the squad. Whoever brought him in deserves a medal .

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 pm

carrotstick wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm
Praise the Lord that we have won 6 of the last 7 league games, what a difference the catalyst (CA) has made, not only in goals scored, but in confidence given to the rest of the squad. Whoever brought him in deserves a medal.
The interweb says it was Tony Fernades who brought him back to QPR.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

dm wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 pm
carrotstick wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm
Praise the Lord that we have won 6 of the last 7 league games, what a difference the catalyst (CA) has made, not only in goals scored, but in confidence given to the rest of the squad. Whoever brought him in deserves a medal.
The interweb says it was Tony Fernades who brought him back to QPR.
Yes I've read and shall we just keep it a secret?
2021/2022.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

loonee
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by loonee » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm

Irrespective of who bought him in, the results have ensured Albert has mysteriously disappeared from here for some time, so that's a bonus!!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:03 pm

loonee wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm
Irrespective of who bought him in, the results have ensured Albert has mysteriously disappeared from here for some time, so that's a bonus!!
He'll be back as soon as we lose, don't worry. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:24 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 pm

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking we had more goals coming from midfield and defence last year, which we did, but proportionately it's about the same. I'm quite positive on this season, but last year really showed me the value of scoring a lot. As soon as you go one down the psychology is different. If you're only scoring one a game (or less) the chances of a win evaporate and the best you're likely to get is a draw, but last year it always felt like we could turn it around, so it was more enjoyable, even though the results weren't any better.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:59 am

Yep, as mentioned the plaudits go to Tony F for luring him back and maybe even financing the deal, who knows.

What strikes me is the often fickle short sightedness of some on here, happy to dish out all kinds of vitriol re Fernandes and his errors but turn a blind eye to recognizing the role in CA's return.

Ditto, Warburton and Sir Les, in the final summation, we're all 100% behind the club.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).