Monkey off our back

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Monkey off our back

Post by Stans left foot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am

On a personal basis I've always been sensitive to our being labeled a joke club following our run of inept appointments as managers, combined with players and owners. Lord knows we've attracted them like flies...

It couldn't get worse than the Paladini episodes, "gun-gate", Fernandes spending, Hughes, Boswinga, Redknapp et al....you know the list I'm sure.

Now at long last we've been able to dismiss that label thanks primarily to our own efforts and to dear old Stoke City. Its an impressive list of failures and turning wine into water but the list is pretty comprehensive.:

Rowett, a manager we sought desperately to manager us, and with whom we arguably dodged a bullet. Unable to fix them or get the squad into shape. Paul Lambert, incomprehensible. I mean that, well remember when he was at Villa fans saying they couldn't understand what he was saying - ( maybe that says more about Brummies than it does Scots,.....?)

Jones looked a sound appointment ( ex Luton where he'd torn up trees ) but he could make it work either.
Hughes could be seen as a common denominator, but I guess on his watch, looking back, they were happy to play with the same aging squad without an apparent youth policy, of no evidence of it being successful.

Their poor recruitment has been on joke level too - I well remember Combes advising they'd been watching Berahino who they'd supposedly swiped from under the noses of Tottenham. Sadly, one or two issues came with him, which Combes said they knew about, followed by a lingering death waiting for him to score.

The fansite ( The oatcake ) is always worth a read as I've mentioned here before - has been particularly damming of our own Cousins. " If QPR have let him go on a free what does that tell you" ? Well, yes mate, if anyone had cared to ask us or scouted for him over 2 or 3 games you could see exactly why we let him go. The retention of our very own Crouchy until well into his 50's as their "game changing sub" said it all too.

So, blend that little lot together and you have what no self respecting fan wants to see, your club branded a joke. As we know more than most, breaking out of that spiral is nigh impossible. On the upside it arguably couldn't happen to a better club. Over my years reflecting on dirty sides only Leeds come close and when it comes to pure unadulterated crap "Pulis-ball" style of play they are in a class of their own. The only thing that perplexes me is just how do you get some 20,000 odd supporters in to come and watch them play on a wet, Monday night? Mind you apparently there were only about 500 left at the end of the turgid affair so most saw some sense.

I've never really seen myself as having extreme views ( Chelsea apart ) and I really don't care who goes up or down, ( Leeds apart on the going up front but eventually 35,000 crowds will generate success in their own way,) but out of all the mess, losing Stoke to the charms of Division One and taking our monkey with them has to be something to relish...…

Here's hoping....
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Monkey off our back

Post by dm » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm

I have a Stoke supporting mate who said the other day he's hoping Pulis will return. That statement alone tells us how low they've sunk.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Big feature on Talksport this pm outlining Stoke and their issues. Not least Rory Delap's after match comments about hoping/expecting/urging ( or similar ) that the players had gone and got a few bookings to at least put up a fight.

Says much about the culture of the club, that one of their most widely respected ex players/temp manager, has that culture in him. No thoughts of playing their way out of trouble, simply kick a few. Whilst I can understand wanting to see your put in a shift and try, kicking players for the sack of it....?

I think they'll have the Monkey for some while to come, there's no direction - at Board level - inconsistent manager choices, scarily odd recruitment choices, I can't see them coming back or watching / playing attractive football for a long time to come. We know what it's like being bounced out of the Prem unprepared. No lessons learned.

What strikes me as odd is seriously rich businessmen / families keep making the same mistakes.

Still not our problem.

still think their views on Cousins are comedy gold....

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 am

I think Sunderland had the monkey off our back a while ago and Stoke are now wrestling them for it. I've nothing against those clubs (I don't want QPR to play Pulisball but I respect it) but there seems to be something really toxic going on at both of them. I feel like Derby might be headed that way, too. Seems like if you have a few toxic players, a manager that isn't as competent as he thinks he is, and a lack of success, the rot can really set in.
Honestly, I think the turnaround for us happened while Redknapp was in charge (not that he was a good manager, but the start of fixing things happened at the same time). Took more than 5 years. It's a long, dismal road back.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 am

I think your Reknapp comment may have a few disputing that was the catalyst, but as you say JimJams, it is a combination of elements.

Your right, the Derby farce, the owner, the stadium sale, the crash and sacking of Keogh, then the Rooney venture. Even if they do scrape into the Prem what then? If the clubs not underpinned by a solid foundation throughout it's not going to work.

Agree, 5 years seems about right, it's a long road back...….

There's a book in there somewhere....."Clubs that fail"...…

As a weird PS:

met a aged Gooner supporter on the train yesterday 40+ years a ST. Reckons Dick Emery or whatever the managers name is will be gone season end, doesn't know his best team etc. More importantly, they've been holed below the water line since David Dein left.....in short, it'll never work if there's something fundamentally wrong.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:25 pm

Point was not really that Redknapp was the catalyst, but some of the good decisions that helped us recover started being made at the same time. Ramsay and Ferdinand coming in etc. Finances were still out of control but signings were at least a bit more future oriented.