'Highlights'

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: 'Highlights'

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Rbee wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 pm
Again, some might be affected and some not.

Look at it through your 21 year old eyes not the grizzled life experienced short sighted eyes you possess today πŸ˜ƒ
I have never subscribed to gender stereotypes, even as a teenager I was abhorred by the fact that women who slept around were slags but blokes who did it were studs. All this bollocks about men shouldn't wear pink, women can't do a job as good a man can is spouted by weak minded insecure men who feel threatened when a woman can do their job just as well or better than they can. As for my vision, I have to wear glasses for reading in low light but I can still score my arrows from the shooting line at 100' with a high degree of accuracy 8)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:47 pm

krama wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Damien wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Esox Lucius wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:11 am

It still can't be blamed for a loss. That is just arrant nonsense. I get the impression that a lot of peoples manliness is under scrutiny in these posts. Years of social stereotyping and brainwashing will do that to you.
Nothing to do with "manliness" - it is just a god awful kit. Some colours just do not work for football shirts: green and yellow are another example.
Well Brazil haven't done too badly in those colours, green and yellow!!! shifty
Norwich have had that kit from day one.
Palermo in Italy have pink as their home shirt!
Everton had a pink away a few years ago and did ok.
Villareal, yellow shirts
actually its quite a long list of teams with green and or yellow shirts and a few more pinks as well.
I'm talking about appeaernce - not how successful you are in those colours. I happen to think that Dennis the mence is the greatest away kit in football... but it's hardly covered itself in glory. We are complete gash away from home - now we have just made it even easier for them. Just my humble opinion mind you. If we managed to win a couple in it... I reserve the right to change my opinion esnooty

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 pm

I seem to recall there was a university study which concluded after analysing lots of data:

The most successful football teams play in red, followed by blue. So, we are in the second stream. The study concluded there were lots of factors at work and some of them were not particularly scientific - such as how players felt wearing the kit. In addition, and here we scored points - if the kit was considered iconic, it was better than say a plain single coloured shirt.

Pink isn't red. Pink has no connection with QPR's history, and is therefore just a random choice (possibly someone said oooh that looks nice - a subjective choice). Had the person taking the decision relating to our away shirt had any knowledge or understanding of QPR's history and the culture among the fans - it would probably have been red and black, as we have a long association with those colours for our away kit. It would also have incorporated the hoops - because that is who we are.

A plain pink shirt has no connection with QPR whatsoever. Football is about tradition and history. If you dump that and things go wrong ... on your own head be it! Even if there is no basis in fact, scientific evidence or anything else. This is football.

To put it into perspective - if I suggested we should dump the blue and white hoops and play in green and yellow, there would be outcry! Even Esox who has poo poo'd the anti pink shirt hysteria (because there is no basis in fact to support it) would be outraged. Well, if it's good enough for the home kit, why is the same argument not good enough for the away kit?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:48 pm

ZENITH R wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 pm
I seem to recall there was a university study which concluded after analysing lots of data:

The most successful football teams play in red, followed by blue. So, we are in the second stream. The study concluded there were lots of factors at work and some of them were not particularly scientific - such as how players felt wearing the kit. In addition, and here we scored points - if the kit was considered iconic, it was better than say a plain single coloured shirt.

Pink isn't red. Pink has no connection with QPR's history, and is therefore just a random choice (possibly someone said oooh that looks nice - a subjective choice). Had the person taking the decision relating to our away shirt had any knowledge or understanding of QPR's history and the culture among the fans - it would probably have been red and black, as we have a long association with those colours for our away kit. It would also have incorporated the hoops - because that is who we are.

A plain pink shirt has no connection with QPR whatsoever. Football is about tradition and history. If you dump that and things go wrong ... on your own head be it! Even if there is no basis in fact, scientific evidence or anything else. This is football.

To put it into perspective - if I suggested we should dump the blue and white hoops and play in green and yellow, there would be outcry! Even Esox who has poo poo'd the anti pink shirt hysteria (because there is no basis in fact to support it) would be outraged. Well, if it's good enough for the home kit, why is the same argument not good enough for the away kit?
but the shirt is NOT plain is it...correct me if im wrong, but it has hoops on it like the home shirt, albeit the hoops are a dark pink, rest of the shirt is a lighter pink...it has the hoops so it still has the qpr tradition...no less trad than dtm...in fact more trad than the red and white halves.
For what it's worth and just my opinion but I love the away kit..... whistle

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 pm

fxxxx sake we're all flipping adults. It's a football kit, buy it or don't buy it. We've got bigger things to worry about than the colour of the kit, or it's manufacturer or the badge or the names on the seat or the mascot or any of the other puerile nonsense our fans have fixated on other the last several years. Incidentally West Brom's change kit is green and yellow stripes. I'm pretty confident we'd have been beaten by just as many if they'd worn that.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:24 am

Satch wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Fxxxx sake. We've got bigger things to worry about than the colour of the kit.
Such as?
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:43 pm
I have never subscribed to gender stereotypes. All this bollocks about men shouldn't wear pink
I don't think many do nowadays but nevertheless in the shops for babies it's still mostly blue for boys and pink for girls. The jobs thing has always been ridiculous as are the sexual stereotypes, luckily we are far more enlightened nowadays. No need to ask what colour your boxers are. :)

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:51 am

I agree with Satch, i couldn't give a toss what kit we wear as long as we win on Tuesday.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 am

Rbee wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:24 am
Fxxxx sake. We've got bigger things to worry about than the colour of the kit.
Such as?
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:43 pm
I have never subscribed to gender stereotypes. All this bollocks about men shouldn't wear pink
I don't think many do nowadays but nevertheless in the shops for babies it's still mostly blue for boys and pink for girls. The jobs thing has always been ridiculous as are the sexual stereotypes, luckily we are far more enlightened nowadays. No need to ask what colour your boxers are. :)
That is gender stereotyping and social reinforcement in action. Fight back! Don't conform! Stick it to the man! :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Trojan
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Trojan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 am

fxxxx sake we're all flipping adults. It's a football kit, buy it or don't buy it. We've got bigger things to worry about than the colour of the kit, or it's manufacturer or the badge or the names on the seat or the mascot or any of the other puerile nonsense our fans have fixated on other the last several years. Incidentally West Brom's change kit is green and yellow stripes. I'm pretty confident we'd have been beaten by just as many if they'd worn that.
What he said^^
Sorry in advance.

KildarePete
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by KildarePete » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 pm

The 7-1 shellacking reminded me of the Brazil vs Germany 2014 WC game where the Germans wore this great looking strip:

I don't see why QPR had to abandon the distinctive "Denis the Menace" away jersey.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 pm

I assume the club think they can flog more shirts if they mix them up.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 pm

aniclap
Staff Benda Bilili

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 am

Andy_N19 wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 pm
aniclap
When things are not going well EVERYTHING is wrong.

Liverpool's away kit at Palace last night looked like a pair of beige-y grey pyjamas. Woeful. I like our pink away kit. Each to their own I guess.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:28 pm

n22hoop wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 am
aniclap

Liverpool's away kit at Palace last night looked like a pair of beige-y grey pyjamas. Woeful. I like our pink away kit. Each to their own I guess.
aniclap

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:52 pm

n22hoop wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 am
aniclap

Looked like a pair of Argos curtains from a 12 year old boy's bedroom set c.1987