Forever Rs (again)

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Forever Rs (again)

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:27 pm

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/pe ... rever-r-s/

I know we've been over this already, but the words 'barrel', 'scraped', 'well' and 'truly' surely must now come irrepressibly to mind. Mr Eastoe played around six dozen games for us in three years, and scored about as many goals as Bobby Zamora! A legend he ain't!

Who next? The inimitable Rachid 'the Smash' Harkouk? Twinkle-toed winger Paul McGee? Brian Williams?

Sometimes, I think, nothing's sacred in the modern world. Including 'the sacred'!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Forever Rs (again)

Post by old pauline » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 pm

Doesn't bother me. What harm is it if we invite them back ? They all evoke memories and its nice to recall them even if they only had fleeting careers with us.
Come on you Sooopa ........

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 pm

You're right. Everyone's a winner! No, really! Have a wave and take a bow!

But they're not 'Forever Rs', are they, by any imaginal stretch? P.E. made only 20% of his total league apps. for us. So let's not mess with the language at least!

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 am

Sorry, yes, I can see where you are coming from. The ones we are inviting back, like Chris Kiwomya last time, you wouldn't really associate them with our history. Never mind, I like seeing who is still around and it helps to fill the 15 minute break.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:27 pm

I know we've been over this already, but the words 'barrel', 'scraped', 'well' and 'truly' surely must now come irrepressibly to mind. Mr Eastoe played around six dozen games for us in three years, and scored about as many goals as Bobby Zamora! A legend he ain't!

Who next? The inimitable Rachid 'the Smash' Harkouk? Twinkle-toed winger Paul McGee? Brian Williams?

Sometimes, I think, nothing's sacred in the modern world. Including 'the sacred'!
It not about legends, it's about players who have worn the hoops. I am proud of the work they do for our ex players, not all of whom get to wander onto the pitch at half time. Jeez, some people.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:31 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

It not about legends, it's about players who have worn the hoops. I am proud of the work they do for our ex players, not all of whom get to wander onto the pitch at half time. Jeez, some people.
Exactly!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 am

Peter Eastoe, great swap for Dave Thomas.

Agree with Esox and you know in the scheme of things.....

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:50 am

Not according to Wikipedia. According to Wiki we got him in as a replacement for Don Rogers and he was later swapped with Mickey Walsh at Everton.

To muddy the waters I always thought we got him in as a replacement for Don Givens ?

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Ooooh long time ago but I think Rogers came from Palace and then swapped for Walsh from Everton but Dave Thomas was long gone before either of those deals I think.

Can't say I remember Rogers really, Walsh scored on his debut and then struggled. Don Givens hung around a bit longer but I can't remember where he went to.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Givens was one of my all time favourite players. He had his best years with us and played for the Republic at that time becoming for a time, I believe, their top scorer. I don't think he was really successful elsewhere. He ended up at a Swiss side playing sweeper. I've even forgiven him for a couple of glaring misses in the fateful game away to Norwich in '76. Has he been inducted into Forever Rs ? I can't remember.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Eastoe was bought as back up as I recall as we went into Europe. He took over Dave Thomas' spot after we sold DT to Everton. Pacey but had a tendency to blast the ball over the bar when put through on goal. I think his high point came in 76-77 against Manure when we beat them 4-0. Scored twice as I recall including a diving header.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm
Givens was one of my all time favourite players. He had his best years with us and played for the Republic at that time becoming for a time, I believe, their top scorer. I don't think he was really successful elsewhere. He ended up at a Swiss side playing sweeper. I've even forgiven him for a couple of glaring misses in the fateful game away to Norwich in '76. Has he been inducted into Forever Rs ? I can't remember.
34 goals in 144 apps is a pretty unheard-of return for a sweeper - sauces?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Here are Don and Pete (sounds like a comedy duo) combining to superb effect for our opener at Anfield that season - a classier smash 'n' grab, to use Gerald Sinstadt's penchant for rhetorical inversion, you will not see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LYRNyujR4E

STOP PRESS: Amazingly, Sinstadt is not only still alive (and nearly 90), but writing about sport for a Staffordshire newspaper. He was once accused by police of lewdness in the Fantasy II cinema in Islington.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:28 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:31 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:

Exactly!

The scheme's called 'Forever Rs'! Call me old-fashioned, but that honorific does suggest to me a player who's spent a significant portion of his career with us, achieved cultic/heroic status, and is an indelible part of the history of the club for outstanding footballing reasons. I have hazy memories of Mr Eastoe's few dozen games for us that are not unhappy, but, for me, the inclusion of him and others is just further evidence of the devalued currencies of modern life.

If that makes me a curmudgeonly old sod, it's all good in my world!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:38 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 pm
222gers wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 pm
34 goals in 144 apps is a pretty unheard-of return for a sweeper - sauces?
Just from memory.....I seem to remember reading that in the last year or so of his playing career he became a sweeper. It seemed odd at the time I'll admit.