Smith with back to goal

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Smith with back to goal

Post by T-Block » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Just read a post that Smith isn't great with back to goal.Sometimes his first touch is poor, his control not sufficient to bring others into play say like Crouch used to.I think this needs watching as this may be correct.Watching Eze makes this obvious by comparison.

Question is : does this matter.

Agree finally that Freeman is shading player of the season.Two weeks ago I would have gone for Luongo as A lot of what Freeman irritates me- but you really cannot deny his immense contribution and effort all season.

Come on lads attack attack attack and enjoy getting those 10 points

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Smith with back to goal

Post by old pauline » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 pm

I think Smith is doing very well for us. In recent games he's been up against big back fours and he's won more than his share of headers. Against Bolton I remember they had 4 6 foot + defenders but Smith got headers in on goal. It was the same against Derby. He's done very well and tried as hard as he can with his back to goal.

I'm not sure I agree about Freeman. Yes, he is our most constructive player and he has got the most assists but I haven't been hugely impressed with his decision making of late. Also, Luongo and Scowen pip him for work rate.
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 pm

I think he's worth what we paid for him. He doesn't really use his neck muscles when heading though - he sort of lets the ball hit his head rather than propel it. He is considerably better when a cross already has pace on it. Not the most mobile of forwards either but he works hard at his game.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm

Returning to the question, do you mean in the first half or second half ? Because in the first half we don't really play it into Smith with his back to goal too much. We seem to try to weave our way forward down the sides and through the middle via Bidwell, Luongo, Freeman, Washy and our right side (i.e Wszolek, Smith etc). In the second half balls up to Smith seem more a part of our game and he generally holds them up/flicks them on reasonably well (IMO).

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 am

For such a big man Smith isn't great at holding up the ball with his back to goal. Also, although the stats show he usually wins a good number of balls in the air, he's not very accurate in bringing someone into play or in front of goal. I think much of this is down to his immobility. He can't move quickly enough to lose his marker. But Ollie's said they've worked on his fitness and I think he has done marginally better in recent weeks.

He's never going to be a top striker in the Championship. If we find someone better, or if Sylla is kept on and he fulfils his potential, I think Smith would be used mainly as an impact sub.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:26 am

Yes agree we play triangles on the wings first half in attack.Cannot remember if Smith comes into play in this or is justis in the box waiting for a cross.
Second half yes it seems to be mainly high stuff-worth watching on Saturday.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:22 pm

OK, will have a look second half tomorrow.

Think Smith just waits inside the box for stuff coming in first half.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:29 pm

For me it isn't the percentage of headers won, it is the percentage of 2nd balls won and in Smiths case I would hazard it is below 10%, the guy has a 50p head. It is something I picked up on last season as it isn't just him; if you get really bored in a game make a note of how many headers won by a QPR player are directed towards another QPR player, it isn't many. Another route to keeping possession spurned IMVHO.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:29 pm
For me it isn't the percentage of headers won, it is the percentage of 2nd balls won and in Smiths case I would hazard it is below 10%, the guy has a 50p head. It is something I picked up on last season as it isn't just him; if you get really bored in a game make a note of how many headers won by a QPR player are directed towards another QPR player, it isn't many. Another route to keeping possession spurned IMVHO.
Yes indeed. As I've often commented, Smith doesn't really jump up to head the ball, he jumps up so that it hits his head. I don't dislike him but he's limited. Overall though, I reckon he's worth the £500k we paid for him, a good deal less than we paid for Washington.

stainesranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I don’t think his link up play is very good. But I rate him because he always has chances on goal and often looks likely to score. No one else gives us that.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Looked at this again second half on Saturday. Seems that if we are in possession and the team is moving upfield collectively then we continue to resist the temptation to pump it up to Smith and expect him to hold it up and bring others into the game. Only when we counter from the edge of our area do we hit it long and then more often than not we look for a faster alternative, I.e. Smyth.

Conclusion : No, it doesn't matter too much that Smith is no good with his back to goal.

Looking forward to this week's tactical debate T-block

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm

T-Block wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm
Just read a post that Smith isn't great with back to goal.Sometimes his first touch is poor,
...well...his assist to Eze for the goal, actually was a missed control... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...anyway I do not expect a big, tall player to have a soft and nice touch....my critics to Smith is that he never gives any power to his headers..
he just touches the ball.... I remember watching Joe Jordan years ago, when he scored one goal for AC Milan....with a header from the edge of the box...a header..?? actually it looked like a shoot for the power he gave to the ball....!!

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:19 pm

So the conclusion is that generally he is, first half, not involved in attacks and waits for crosses.Maybe his movement can draw defenders away.Does it take two defenders to mark him?.Second half we Rangers go direct he wins headers but we do not win much second ball from them.

But at corners, free kicks comes into his own.

So how many goals this season from corners and free kicks?

So really useful after 60 minutes?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm

I've seen a heatmap showing where on the field of play Smith touched the ball last night. Interestingly he had the greatest number of touches in our penalty box.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:28 pm

I think that is because Ollie is remodelling us away from a team which hits the big man who holds it up for others to run onto. Whether that is because Smith is not so good at that or not or because it is old hat I am not sure.

Either way we definitely play much less old school than in previous years when we had no. 9's who could hold the ball up and more orthodox wide men getting to the by-line.

And on the evidence of recent weeks you would have to say that that is no bad thing.