John McLelland

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

John McLelland

Post by 222gers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Will be inducted into Forever Rs at half time on Saturday. I don't suppose many on here will remember him. He was a real barnstorming winger a bit like Mark Lazarus. Scored goals from the wing and was very fast. I remember a bloke I used to stand next to, saying out of the corner of his mouth “can 'e motor !” whenever John went on one of his runs.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: John McLelland

Post by Rbee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

I have to admit 222gers I never saw John play but he sounds a worthy inductee unlike some so far!

Has Andy Sinton been inducted yet, he should be.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:53 pm

He was playing when I was a little lad. I am now old. He must be very old
😊
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm

I would have loved to see Wayne Fereday race Barry Bridges over 100 meters
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 pm

222gers wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Will be inducted into Forever Rs at half time on Saturday. I don't suppose many on here will remember him. He was a real barnstorming winger a bit like Mark Lazarus. Scored goals from the wing and was very fast. I remember a bloke I used to stand next to, saying out of the corner of his mouth “can 'e motor !” whenever John went on one of his runs.
We really did have wingers worthy of the name in the past

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:53 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 pm
222gers wrote:
We really did have wingers worthy of the name in the past
True but I doubt if Holloway would play any of them !

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCl ... born_1935)

He's 82......
he was quick too as I remember, but then back then when your remember everyone was quick..... :oops:
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am

Stans left foot wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 am

He's 82......
he was quick too as I remember, but then back then when your remember everyone was quick..... :oops:
Thanks SLF. 82? So, he's not very old, then. :wink:

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm

222gers wrote:
He needed to be quick to catch his wife, who is still the British record holder for the 100yards dash.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 pm

by kernowhoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 am

Stans left foot wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am

He's 82......
he was quick too as I remember, but then back then when your remember everyone was quick..... :oops: Thanks SLF. 82? So, he's not very old, then. :wink:
A mere whipper-snapper, Kerno, whippersnapper..... :roll:

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 pm
by kernowhoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 am

Stans left foot wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am

He's 82......
he was quick too as I remember, but then back then when your remember everyone was quick..... :oops: Thanks SLF. 82? So, he's not very old, then. :wink:
A mere whipper-snapper, Kerno, whippersnapper..... :roll:
Some time ago we had an oldest poster thread. I must be, at just turned 72, one of 'em but not I'll wager the oldest. The bloke I sit next to doesn't post on here but is around 80 and used to have our old centre forward Frank Clarke lodging with him. Can you imagine footballers in lodgings these days !

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Indeed,
although I dislike ( hate is too strong a word for it ) but lets just say dislike, Watford with a vengeance I must admit having a soft spot for Graham Taylor

he was "old school" and when my wife and I had just got married we lived close to Vicarage Road, it's thanks to him he made our lives hell as, once he'd taken over, Watford started to climb and progress - in short until then car parking outside my house was easy on match day - no more

I'd gone down to see Rangers reserves play Watford ( pre Harrow Borough games ) @ Merchant Taylors in Northwood one evening. he was standing around and larking with some local kids there to cheer Watty on. I don't think you'd see that nowadays from any manager, but he was always approachable and friendly. One of my fiends also had Lloyd Doily renting a room - Llloyd was still a teenager in those days and Taylor would phone her up at 10.00 every Saturday night to confirm he was in - always said yes, always wasn't.

It therefore pisses me off greatly that, not only did we try and sign Lloyd - and fail - but the only professional goal he ever scored - a stonker - was against us at Vicarage Road. :roll:

My Dad took me to my first game - Stock/Gregory era circa 1955/56 time, Morgan Bros etc - v Grimsby as I recall, I was 5 or 6. In those days too there was a big Shepherds Bush Market, big enough for my Mum and I to be left shopping while Dad went to the game.... :shock:

One thing that stays with you over a lifetime, those clubs that were shitty and horrible, either by playing staff, manager or attitude are still the same 50+ years later. :oops:
No name, no pack drill...... you know who you are :lol:

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Stans left foot wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Indeed,
although I dislike ( hate is too strong a word for it ) but lets just say dislike, Watford with a vengeance I must admit having a soft spot for Graham Taylor

he was "old school" and when my wife and I had just got married we lived close to Vicarage Road, it's thanks to him he made our lives hell as, once he'd taken over, Watford started to climb and progress - in short until then car parking outside my house was easy on match day - no more

I'd gone down to see Rangers reserves play Watford ( pre Harrow Borough games ) @ Merchant Taylors in Northwood one evening. he was standing around and larking with some local kids there to cheer Watty on. I don't think you'd see that nowadays from any manager, but he was always approachable and friendly. One of my fiends also had Lloyd Doily renting a room - Llloyd was still a teenager in those days and Taylor would phone her up at 10.00 every Saturday night to confirm he was in - always said yes, always wasn't.

It therefore pisses me off greatly that, not only did we try and sign Lloyd - and fail - but the only professional goal he ever scored - a stonker - was against us at Vicarage Road. :roll:

My Dad took me to my first game - Stock/Gregory era circa 1955/56 time, Morgan Bros etc - v Grimsby as I recall, I was 5 or 6. In those days too there was a big Shepherds Bush Market, big enough for my Mum and I to be left shopping while Dad went to the game.... :shock:

One thing that stays with you over a lifetime, those clubs that were shitty and horrible, either by playing staff, manager or attitude are still the same 50+ years later. :oops:
No name, no pack drill...... you know who you are :lol:
I was at that game at Watford. But, was it the one where it poured with rain relentlessly and we lost 3-0, or, was it the one where Magilton had the falling out with our star player? Or, have I muddled up the two games?

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Think you getting your dates muddled Stan , Alec Stock wasnt at the club until about 1959 i think .My first game was mid 60 s and i well remember the market and the football, happy days in what now seems like a different world.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 am

yes, don't squeeze me on dates and who was there..at the time my father had been associated with the Club since the War :roll: so he knew Stock and spoke of him etc in the same breath as Gregory

I remember that Magilton game ( I think )
hadn't Ainsworth scored a cracker or winner the week before ?
But Magilton had him on the subs bench :roll:

my son and I were near the front, and 2 or 3-0 down before 1/2 time someone shouted at him "why aren't you playing"?

he just raised his eyebrows as if to say "who knows"....

I'd forgotten the Magilton "era"
we don't half pick them don't we.