Corbyn Suspended

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4839
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Corbyn Suspended

Post by Montag » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Labour have suspended Corbyn. Laura Alvarez (Corbyn's wife) tweeted: "PLEASE BOYCOTT THE POISON MAINSTREAM MEDIA AND STAND WITH THE BEST INTERNATIONAL LEADER AND ANTI RACIST ACTIVIST! CHECK FACTS!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 2144
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Gibraltar

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by Lee Gib » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 am

Kier Starmer is coming across as a decent leader. Hopefully he claws back the losses from the last election, but I can see things getting worse for Labour before they get better.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6648
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by QPR_John » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 am
Kier Starmer is coming across as a decent leader. Hopefully he claws back the losses from the last election, but I can see things getting worse for Labour before they get better.
But remember Starmer was in the shadow cabinet. He campaigned for Corbyn to be prime minister. He is surely tainted if only by association. Interesting to think what might be happening now if Labour had won.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13710
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by dm » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Once again Labour descends into internecine division. But will Starmer's dealing with Corbyn make him stronger in the party and the public at large? Possibly so but the effect among many Labour party members, and especially the young, will not be positive and that could mean a difficult few years ahead for Starmer. He'd do well to find a conciliatory way back for Corbyn.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21532
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Starmer isn't Labour, he is another version of Tony Blair's Tory Lite.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13710
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by dm » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pm
Starmer isn't Labour, he is another version of Tony Blair's Tory Lite.
It's certainly tempting to arrive at that conclusion, Esox. You may be right but I'm hoping you're not and that Starmer doesn't turn out to be "Neo New Labour". I suspect the next few days will tell us a lot about him.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21532
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:22 am

dm wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:40 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pm
Starmer isn't Labour, he is another version of Tony Blair's Tory Lite.
It's certainly tempting to arrive at that conclusion, Esox. You may be right but I'm hoping you're not and that Starmer doesn't turn out to be "Neo New Labour". I suspect the next few days will tell us a lot about him.
IMO Starmer is there to appease those Tory voters who didn't want to vote for Corbyn but are now appalled at just how bad the Tory government is. He is no more Labour than Blair was, he is the light blue version of what the Tories wish they had.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 2144
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Gibraltar

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by Lee Gib » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:22 am

IMO Starmer is there to appease those Tory voters who didn't want to vote for Corbyn but are now appalled at just how bad the Tory government is.
Well yes EL I think that covers most people. The opposition is now so weak that the government can get away with not feeding hungry, underprivileged kids. Maybe Labour need a leader that will rid the party of some of the reasons that no one wants to touch them, antisemitism being one of those reasons.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21532
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:20 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:22 am

IMO Starmer is there to appease those Tory voters who didn't want to vote for Corbyn but are now appalled at just how bad the Tory government is.
Well yes EL I think that covers most people. The opposition is now so weak that the government can get away with not feeding hungry, underprivileged kids. Maybe Labour need a leader that will rid the party of some of the reasons that no one wants to touch them, antisemitism being one of those reasons.
Anti semitism isn't, nor never was as much of a reason to vote Tory in light of the litany of lies and Russian backing they received to win both the Brexit vote and the GE. Corbyn & Abbott were utterly demonised in lieu of a coherent Conservative strategy for both referendum & GE. Corbyn's manifesto wouldn't have even been considered to be left wing 30 years ago. Starmer is a stooge with nothing in common with the labour roots.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 2144
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Gibraltar

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by Lee Gib » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:55 pm

It's not about voting Tory due to antisemitism, it's about not voting labour. It certainly was one of the reasons for many people. As was the apparent dithering over Brexit. I'm sure you'd like to see that voting pattern change? Problems aren't going to get fixed if people keep denying they exist.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13710
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Corbyn Suspended

Post by dm » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:05 pm

This article co-written by Peter Oborne, who is no socialist by any stretch of the imagination, provides a very interesting analysis. There's been plenty written about how Labour's head office obstructed Corbyn when he became leader. This article shows how that played out in the whole antisemitism issue. https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/e ... orbyn-soul

Post Reply