Bernie Ecclestone...

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Bernie Ecclestone...

Post by Lee Gib » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 pm
I don't get why taking a knee for a few seconds before kick off triggers so many people. If it helps BAME people to be given the level of respect and equality they deserve then I am all for it. All it does is highlight that there is a need for something to be done. I have seen a lot of responses along the lines of ALL LIVES Matter! and if that is true, then why get triggered by BLM. Nobody gets triggered by honouring the dead and fallen at football so why this?
People do get triggered though. Remember the players that refused to wear the poppy? This board was quite supportive of them as I recall. Well it's a bit like that.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:44 am

Lee Gib wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:34 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 pm
I don't get why taking a knee for a few seconds before kick off triggers so many people. If it helps BAME people to be given the level of respect and equality they deserve then I am all for it. All it does is highlight that there is a need for something to be done. I have seen a lot of responses along the lines of ALL LIVES Matter! and if that is true, then why get triggered by BLM. Nobody gets triggered by honouring the dead and fallen at football so why this?
People do get triggered though. Remember the players that refused to wear the poppy? This board was quite supportive of them as I recall. Well it's a bit like that.
I wasn't clear enough, I wasn't singling out the members on this board. It is a SM wide issue.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:52 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:02 pm
Thanks Ux

I'd never wish this pandemic on my worse enemy but yes something good has come out of it for me...
Of course, if you were a genuine old school romantic, you'd have waited until we're all able to go back to LR and proposed on the pitch at half-time.

An opportunity missed there. :lol:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:59 pm

This is a very incendiary subject and I am loathe to comment but the desecration of the cenotaph, vandalism of Lincoln's statue in London and the destruction of General Grant's statue in San Francisco suggest this is more about the Neo-Marxism movement than anything else. Not sure how much these millionaire footballers would enjoy the kind of societies that are being proposed.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 am

Every protest movement from the suffrage movement to the poll tax protests (not riots, the only rioting was started by the police) has been smeared as a dangerous communist/marxist/anarchist group of thugs. I wouldn't be so quick to believe the alt-right spin doctors/press.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-n ... g-18360724

Quite simply, you are either with us and on the right side of history or not.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:34 am

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:07 am

DroopStreetOldBoys wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 am
Every protest movement from the suffrage movement to the poll tax protests (not riots, the only rioting was started by the police) has been smeared as a dangerous communist/marxist/anarchist group of thugs. I wouldn't be so quick to believe the alt-right spin doctors/press.

:like

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm

This is the kind of black and white, we're right and you're wrong, there can be no debate, nonsense that people are sick to death of. There are plenty of grey in this and the vast majority of people that fall into this grey area are sane and don't like to be smeared just for disagreeing. Everyone I know thinks black lives matter. Very few of them are particularly supportive of the movement called Black Lives Matter and none that I know will take a knee.

What I expect, but don't see, are people who refuse to kneel for BLM given the same respect as those who refuse to wear the poppy.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm

This is the kind of black and white, we're right and you're wrong, there can be no debate, nonsense that people are sick to death of. There are plenty of grey in this and the vast majority of people that fall into this grey area are sane and don't like to be smeared just for disagreeing. Everyone I know thinks black lives matter. Very few of them are particularly supportive of the movement called Black Lives Matter and none that I know will take a knee.

What I expect, but don't see, are people who refuse to kneel for BLM given the same respect as those who refuse to wear the poppy.
The same kind of respect James McLean gets every year ?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
The central message is acknowledging that the dehumanisation of any sector of a society completely undermines it,
whether you take a knee or not isn't important to me, but the acknowledgement of BLM and actively promoting the
idea that black people are humans and should have equal opportunities and inherit a common human dignity is important.
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:31 pm
Lee Gib wrote:
The central message is acknowledging that the dehumanisation of any sector of a society completely undermines it,
whether you take a knee or not isn't important to me, but the acknowledgement of BLM and actively promoting the
idea that black people are humans and should have equal opportunities and inherit a common human dignity is important.
Absolutely nailed on, all lives won't matter until every life matters.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:20 am

Lee Gib wrote:

There is no equivalence between these two things. Either you acknowledge the fact, and it is a fact, that the institutions of this country - from the police, schools, universities, business, government are institutionally racist and that needs to change, or you don't. There's no grey area, there's nothing to debate, it's time for proper change and not endless reports and recommendations that go nowhere.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:31 pm
Lee Gib wrote:
aniclap for me this is a perfect position to take. Well said Andy
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:20 am
Lee Gib wrote:

There is no equivalence between these two things. Either you acknowledge the fact, and it is a fact, that the institutions of this country - from the police, schools, universities, business, government are institutionally racist and that needs to change, or you don't. There's no grey area, there's nothing to debate, IT'S TIME FOR PROPER CHANGE and not endless reports and recommendations that go nowhere.
What kind of change is being proposed? What are BLM's demands?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Montag wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:20 am
Lee Gib wrote:

There is no equivalence between these two things. Either you acknowledge the fact, and it is a fact, that the institutions of this country - from the police, schools, universities, business, government are institutionally racist and that needs to change, or you don't. There's no grey area, there's nothing to debate, IT'S TIME FOR PROPER CHANGE and not endless reports and recommendations that go nowhere.
What kind of change is being proposed? What are BLM's demands?
To not be treated any differently to anyone else purely because of the colour of their skin. I think that is their only demand.