General Election called

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: General Election called

Post by dm » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Rbee, you make some very strange comments in your two posts above, and I want to reply to just some.

"Do you think that the civil service, advisors, other MP's, the House of Lords and even Her Maj would let any Prime Minister create national 'havoc.'" What word would you use to describe the outcome of Cameron's 2016 referendum or May's incompetence in attempting to deliver Brexit? I think 'Havoc' would be quite appropriate. Johnson has far a greater propensity to create havoc than his predecessors.

"Boris is a remainer so Brexit will be soft." In 2016 Johnson famously wrote a very pro-remain unpublished article two days before declaring he was pro-Brexit. Johnson is neither pro or anti Brexit. He's happy to hunt with the hounds and run with the foxes depending on what best serves his interests, and that including a no deal Brexit which is still a possibility.

"Damien there will be cuts made all over the place whichever party is in power." Were you not aware that if Labour had got into power they had an extremely large programme of costed investment? Labour goverments have always had large public investment programmes and have been criticised by others for doing so. There would not have been cuts had Labour won the election.

"There simply isn’t the cash out there..." There is 'money out there' that the Government can borrow at very low interest rates. Governments all over the world borrow money. It is normal practice. Government investment stimulates the economy and creates jobs which produces more income in tax revenue.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:20 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:57 pm
Rbee, you make some very strange comments in your two posts above, and I want to reply to just some.

"Do you think that the civil service, advisors, other MP's, the House of Lords and even Her Maj would let any Prime Minister create national 'havoc.'" What word would you use to describe the outcome of Cameron's 2016 referendum or May's incompetence in attempting to deliver Brexit? I think 'Havoc' would be quite appropriate. Johnson has far a greater propensity to create havoc than his predecessors.

"Boris is a remainer so Brexit will be soft." In 2016 Johnson famously wrote a very pro-remain unpublished article two days before declaring he was pro-Brexit. Johnson is neither pro or anti Brexit. He's happy to hunt with the hounds and run with the foxes depending on what best serves his interests, and that including a no deal Brexit which is still a possibility.

"Damien there will be cuts made all over the place whichever party is in power." Were you not aware that if Labour had got into power they had an extremely large programme of costed investment? Labour goverments have always had large public investment programmes and have been criticised by others for doing so. There would not have been cuts had Labour won the election.

"There simply isn’t the cash out there..." There is 'money out there' that the Government can borrow at very low interest rates. Governments all over the world borrow money. It is normal practice. Government investment stimulates the economy and creates jobs which produces more income in tax revenue.
""Damien there will be cuts made all over the place whichever party is in power." Were you not aware that if Labour had got into power they had an extremely large programme of costed investment? Labour goverments have always had large public investment programmes and have been criticised by others for doing so. There would not have been cuts had Labour won the election."

Labours manifesto was away with fairies. Not my words but that of Stephen Kinnock

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:20 pm
Labours manifesto was away with fairies. Not my words but that of Stephen Kinnock
Go on...

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:37 pm

You think strange dm and I think pragmatic and realistic of course.

1. I was referring to legislation that would wreak havoc not a one off referendum. May's attempt to deliver Brexit were hindered by the House of Commons. If it had been Corbyn trying to deliver Brexit then May and co would have hindered him in exactly the same. So much for our elected representatives delivering the will of the people.

2. I would largely agree with you there but I did see Boris as a remainer until the sh1t hit the fan and he famously legged it only to return as a Brexiteer when the PM's job was in his grasp.

3. ''There would not have been cuts had Labour won the election.'' Oh come on mate, come on. A pre election promise that would have been broken exactly the same as the Tory promises will be. There is not enough cash to fund either parties election promises. There is more chance of Barbet never collecting another yellow card!

4. ''Government investment stimulates the economy and creates jobs which produces more income in tax revenue.'' Don't you think each Government has been trying this for the past fifty years? Investment is needed to keep us at current levels, keep us going, investment to attempt improvement is on top of that.

5. ''There is 'money out there' that the Government can borrow at very low interest rates.'' Absolutely right dm. But we just keep borrowing do we? Keep adding to the national debt? Borrow, borrow and borrow some more. Oooops our repayment levels are getting a bit high what shall we do? Borrow some more!

Further Government borrowing is inevitable but hey that's not todays Government's problem that is another Government's problem in the future.

All I am saying is can we use the next lump of borrowed cash to change the way we do things? At the moment we seem to be aimlessly running around throwing money at things like the NHS to keep it going when what it really needs is extensive reform.

I really don't care which political party is in power but for one of them to get real and attempt to stop our downward spiral. Whatever we have in place now ain't working.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks Rbee - you make some valid points. Discussing something in any depth on social media is always frustrating because of the limitations so I'll leave it there.

One thing on which I heartlily agree with you though is, Barbet will collect another yellow - if not another red!

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:43 am

dm wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:44 am
Thanks Rbee - you make some valid points. Discussing something in any depth on social media is always frustrating because of the limitations so I'll leave it there.

One thing on which I heartlily agree with you though is, Barbet will collect another yellow - if not another red!
Over a pint then 🍺😃

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Rbee wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:43 am
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:44 am

Over a pint then 🍺😃
Why not!

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:30 am

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:47 pm

"Compassionate, one-nation conservatism". Will of the people, innit.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:05 pm

The Tory ultras have only just started the fun. Soon to come: an 'update' on human rights, more 'curbing' of trade union power, stronger Government 'regulation' of the media, a 'review' of the constitution and law courts, plus for good measure a 'tweaking' of constituency boundaries just for safety's sake.

And it's all such a blast that thousands of Britain First lovelies are joining in and are now paid up Tory members. Even that nice Tommy Robinson's a true blue now.

What a time to be alive.