General Election called

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Gibraltar

Re: General Election called

Post by Lee Gib » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:30 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:09 pm
...Those northerners who cannot stomach voting Tory will vote Farage...
I just cant see this happening. I would have agreed before Farage made a deal not to fight in Tory seats, now they'll just see him and his party as an extension of the Torys. I think this is showing in the collapse of Brexit party support in the polls.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13337
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: General Election called

Post by dm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:50 pm
Montag wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 pm
between 1951-1974.
Ah, the years of consensus politics. So long ago I've forgotten. If Johnson becomes PM with a working majority we can expect a vicious and pitiless spell in British political history. I blame David Cameron for this.
Indeed, Cameron's vanity project will continue to wreak havoc in the UK for years to come and is one of the worse political decisions I've ever witnessed.

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4626
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: General Election called

Post by Montag » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Blair and Brown are to blame IMO. Cameron's distance from ordinary working people allowed him to fool himself that economics would be the deciding factor, therefore once scared sufficiently we would all crap ourselves and vote remain. He was a lucky politician but pushed it too far.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5056
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: General Election called

Post by 222gers » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Montag wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 pm
Blair and Brown are to blame IMO. Cameron's distance from ordinary working people allowed him to fool himself that economics would be the deciding factor, therefore once scared sufficiently we would all crap ourselves and vote remain. He was a lucky politician but pushed it too far.
It's said that Theresa May burst into tears on hearing the referendum outcome, saying the people that voted leave would suffer the most as a result. It's no surprise she failed to achieve much in talks with the EU. Some blame Tony Blair for allowing immigration from the accession countries to take place earlier than was necessary.
I wasn't at all happy with the New Labour project at the time but as time goes by, I feel better about it. I still blame Cameron more than anyone else.

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4626
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: General Election called

Post by Montag » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm

There is an alleged old Chinese proverb : May you live in interesting times. Some say it is a curse.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21152
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election called

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 pm

So now Raab is out saying that the Tories have been in talks to raise the cost of drugs to the NHS after Brexit.
I don't think some people realise just how many families in the US have died because they couldn't afford treatment or how many have had to sell everything to pay for treatment. The NHS is under attack and it must be repelled.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 30661.html
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13337
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: General Election called

Post by dm » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 pm

The appalling threat to the NHS the Tories and their intended deal with Trump and American big Pharma should, on its own, be enough to put people off a Johnson led government.

I am at a complete loss to understand why people can't see how serious this is.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6468
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: General Election called

Post by QPR_John » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm

dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 pm
The appalling threat to the NHS the Tories and their intended deal with Trump and American big Pharma should, on its own, be enough to put people off a Johnson led government.

I am at a complete loss to understand why people can't see how serious this is.
I've lived through a good few general elections and in every single one we were all warned that we had 24 hours to save the NHS.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13337
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: General Election called

Post by dm » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 pm
The appalling threat to the NHS the Tories and their intended deal with Trump and American big Pharma should, on its own, be enough to put people off a Johnson led government.

I am at a complete loss to understand why people can't see how serious this is.
I've lived through a good few general elections and in every single one we were all warned that we had 24 hours to save the NHS.
Do you feel the NHS would be safe under a Johnson administration with a Trump/Big Pharma deal in Brexit Britain? That's a distinct possibility and a scenario the country has never before faced.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6468
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: General Election called

Post by QPR_John » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm

dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 pm
The appalling threat to the NHS the Tories and their intended deal with Trump and American big Pharma should, on its own, be enough to put people off a Johnson led government.

I am at a complete loss to understand why people can't see how serious this is.
I've lived through a good few general elections and in every single one we were all warned that we had 24 hours to save the NHS.
Do you feel the NHS would be safe under a Johnson administration with a Trump/Big Pharma deal in Brexit Britain? That's a distinct possibility and a scenario the country has never before faced.
I'm more worried how safe the whole country would be under a Corbyn administration

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4626
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: General Election called

Post by Montag » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 pm

Which is one of the reasons that I can only see a Johnson majority. There are many others. Paramount in Leave voters minds will be Corbyn's duplicity over Brexit. Nostradamus, I think, predicted a Nationalist leader in England who will offer much but ultimately disappoint. Could it be Johnson or Farage. Or maybe neither. Or it doesn't happen. :?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13337
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: General Election called

Post by dm » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm


I've lived through a good few general elections and in every single one we were all warned that we had 24 hours to save the NHS.
Do you feel the NHS would be safe under a Johnson administration with a Trump/Big Pharma deal in Brexit Britain? That's a distinct possibility and a scenario the country has never before faced.
I'm more worried how safe the whole country would be under a Corbyn administration
I can't see any reason why Corbyn would make the country any less safe than it is now. In contrast, I can see every reason to fear for my personal safety in terms of a privatised NHS should Johnson become PM. Not to mention an underfunded social care service, police force, security services, penal and justice system, etc. etc. under another Tory Government, all of which pose potential threats to my safety.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21152
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election called

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am

QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm


I've lived through a good few general elections and in every single one we were all warned that we had 24 hours to save the NHS.
Do you feel the NHS would be safe under a Johnson administration with a Trump/Big Pharma deal in Brexit Britain? That's a distinct possibility and a scenario the country has never before faced.
I'm more worried how safe the whole country would be under a Corbyn administration
What on Earth makes you think the country is safe at the moment?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6468
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: General Election called

Post by QPR_John » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:45 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am
QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm


Do you feel the NHS would be safe under a Johnson administration with a Trump/Big Pharma deal in Brexit Britain? That's a distinct possibility and a scenario the country has never before faced.
I'm more worried how safe the whole country would be under a Corbyn administration
What on Earth makes you think the country is safe at the moment?
Corbyn is not in No. 10

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6468
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: General Election called

Post by QPR_John » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 am

dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm
dm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm


Do you feel the NHS would be safe under a Johnson administration with a Trump/Big Pharma deal in Brexit Britain? That's a distinct possibility and a scenario the country has never before faced.
I'm more worried how safe the whole country would be under a Corbyn administration
I can't see any reason why Corbyn would make the country any less safe than it is now. In contrast, I can see every reason to fear for my personal safety in terms of a privatised NHS should Johnson become PM. Not to mention an underfunded social care service, police force, security services, penal and justice system, etc. etc. under another Tory Government, all of which pose potential threats to my safety.
Ok cards on the table. Show me concrete proof that Johnson is going to privatise the NHS. As previously stated I've lived through a good many general elections and in everyone Labour have pleaded with the electors to save the NHS by voting for them. Although there are many problems the NHS is still free at the point of use. I no longer pay NI or prescription charges or for eye tests so in fact for me it is completely free apart from the dentist. If I thought for one minute I would have to pay insurance do you think I would vote for a party that would privatise the NHS. If the Tories win but the NHS is not privatised by the next election will you come on here and apologise or will you once again plead to save the NHS from being privatised by the Tories.

Post Reply