A great start to The Ashes

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: A great start to The Ashes

Post by Satch » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Wow, i was pacing up and down like an expectant father. Stokes was clearly keen to atone for his ridiculous dismissal in the first innings and from the moment he got the ball in the 2nd innings he delivered one of the most determined and inspirational performances i've ever seen in any sport. His batting innings will be what's remembered but it was his bowling that gave us a sniff. Nice to see a couple of other players show some spine. We have to use this to kick on and try and get the urn back.

Not wanting to dwell on a negative after a day like this but regardless of the series outcome, there needs to be some root and branch changes in our test set-up which sadly i can't see happening. I can't wait to see the back of Bayliss.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm

How I wish test cricket was still on BBC. I've always sworn never to have Sky but I must admit to being tempted in order that I can see the cricket.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm
How I wish test cricket was still on BBC. I've always sworn never to have Sky but I must admit to being tempted in order that I can see the cricket.
I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a video set released if we do go on and win the series so, for the price of a months Sky, you could just buy that. I bought the 2005 box set and drop in every now and again.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 am
222gers wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a video set released if we do go on and win the series so, for the price of a months Sky, you could just buy that. I bought the 2005 box set and drop in every now and again.
Hopefully in glorious Blu Ray. Of course it won't have the immediacy of watching it live. When the mood betakes me I watch the Willis-Botham test and of course some QPR DVDs.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:07 am

222gers wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:07 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 am
222gers wrote:
Hopefully in glorious Blu Ray. Of course it won't have the immediacy of watching it live. When the mood betakes me I watch the Willis-Botham test and of course some QPR DVDs.
I had stuff to do yesterday so I didn't get to sit down and just watch it. Unfortunately, every time I switched it on we lost wickets and my wife said, you are jinxing them so I thought, OK I won't look again until it is over one way or the other. I caved in and switched it on and we needed 1 to draw and two to win so I stayed with it. I immediately set the recorder to Channel 5 highlights and I am so glad I did. Stokes' innings was a once in a lifetime thing I believe; a reverse sweep for six over a fielders head with just a few runs needed and no-one to come in? The stuff of comic books and fantasy and not at all believable in real life. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm

That short was something else. His innings had it all. Dogged determination to get to stumps and partner other players then at the drop of a hat start hitting it to all parts of the ground whilst also farming the strike near-perfectly. He's the only player who's really bucked the trend of regression in that batting line-up. I've been advocating him moving up to 4 and saving his bowling for short, aggressive bursts to break partnerships. That was the perfect audition for that role or even at 3 and let Root have his beloved 4 spot back.
222gers wrote:
Sky and Murdoch are parasites. Do the world a favour and just stream it. If it eases your conscience pay for it from an overseas license holder and stream it via VPN.