Cricket World Cup

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Cricket World Cup

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 pm

What a load of old shite! :lol:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Unbelievable you just couldn’t script it, the two for the price of one off Stokes bat as he was diving for the line is one of the most jaw dropping moments I’ve ever witnessed in sport & the winning run out was the cherry on the cake.

Not a cricket fan & hadn’t watched a single ball until the final, kept coming back to it through out the day & then locked into the last 25 England overs.

Still think it’s harsh on Nz that we won on boundaries when the sides couldn’t be split, but that last stokes over & the drama of the super over was box office, quite some moment haven’t jumped up like that since Zamora.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:50 am

It's being called the greatest ever cricket game but the media love a bit of hype. That said, it was right up there as one of the most gripping ODI's with a remarkable finish.

Glad you enjoyed it Lala. Cricket is so different from football but it's a very fine and fascinating sport nonetheless. Keep watching and I'm sure you'll get hooked. The Ashes starting 1st August should be a pretty good contest to watch but, be warned, it's Test cricket with each match lasting up to 5 days!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 am

50 overs is my limit dm & even that’s to much, Test cricket is for the purist, 5 days of cricket & you can end up with no result it just seems pointless to me.

But for sporting drama purposes yesterday was up there with the best I’ve ever seen in any sport, from the first ball of England’s innings to the last you just didn’t know which way it was gonna go.

Then again we came out on the winning side of it, not sure how my opinion of the game would have gone had we lost.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am

It was compulsive viewing. The red ball purists can be rather condescending of the white ball one dayers but the skill and prowess from both teams yesterday (and all the other teams in the World Cup) was phenomenal. All three disciplines (batting, bowling and fielding) were out of this world. Some of the catches alone were absolutely unbelievable. I'm still not in favour of the hundred ball format which is to be introduced next year but its great that cricket has been put back on the map again and I really hope more 50 over cricket can find a way back onto national TV.
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am
It was compulsive viewing. The red ball purists can be rather condescending of the white ball one dayers but the skill and prowess from both teams yesterday (and all the other teams in the World Cup) was phenomenal. All three disciplines (batting, bowling and fielding) were out of this world. Some of the catches alone were absolutely unbelievable. I'm still not in favour of the hundred ball format which is to be introduced next year but its great that cricket has been put back on the map again and I really hope more 50 over cricket can find a way back onto national TV.
I reluctantly agree. I prefer three and five day matches but recognise I'm a dying breed. Cricket needs a new, younger audience and yesterday will go a long way towards achieving that. I don't fancy the 100 ball game myself and despite the excitement yesterday, could do without the pop music, but as long as test and county cricket survives so be it.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am

They were talking about the red ball game on the radio and came to the conclusion that it’s drop in popularity was down to the lack of TV coverage nowadays.

When I was growing up it was always on the BBC and I knew all the players, now I don’t. Fond memories of John Edrich trudging off the pitch after a dismissal muttering words new to me 😃

A truly amazing game on Sunday but to start talking about chucking Knighthoods at several of the participants is utterly ridiculous.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Rbee wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am
They were talking about the red ball game on the radio and came to the conclusion that it’s drop in popularity was down to the lack of TV coverage nowadays.

When I was growing up it was always on the BBC and I knew all the players, now I don’t. Fond memories of John Edrich trudging off the pitch after a dismissal muttering words new to me 😃

A truly amazing game on Sunday but to start talking about chucking Knighthoods at several of the participants is utterly ridiculous.
Take a look at the lists of names that have been awarded knighthoods and you may change your mind.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

No need Mike because the whole Honours thing has become farcical.

The list of those not receiving recognition is as bad as some of those who have. Those that work all hours setting up and running food banks etc people such as Rod Temperton, all ignored.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 am
50 overs is my limit dm & even that’s to much, Test cricket is for the purist, 5 days of cricket & you can end up with no result it just seems pointless to me.

But for sporting drama purposes yesterday was up there with the best I’ve ever seen in any sport, from the first ball of England’s innings to the last you just didn’t know which way it was gonna go.

Then again we came out on the winning side of it, not sure how my opinion of the game would have gone had we lost.
Football is the only sport I know that can end scoreless. And a draw :D

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Damien wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:

Indeed but only 1hr 30mins of your life lost.

5 days to end up in a draw is lunacy imo.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:10 pm

That's why it's called 'Test' cricket. It 'tests' your patience. whistle But it can be great nonetheless!
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:11 pm

:wink: :!:
Damien wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:23 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:

But a draw is a result :wink:

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Here's my thing with this result.....

I seem to recollect that the amount of wickets fallen use to decide the result in the event of a tie (ie 241 each) with NZ 8 wickets to England All out...

I assume that wouldn't be exciting and the rules were changed?
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:30 pm

222gers wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm
I reluctantly agree. I prefer three and five day matches but recognise I'm a dying breed.
....so when you leave home for the match ...

wife..."where are you going, darling...?"
.."to see the match....see you IN FIVE DAYS...!!" :mrgreen: