Holidays destination...touristic promotion

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Holidays destination...touristic promotion

Post by Giorgio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

ok..I am originally from Italy, Bologna north east...I am very critical with my country that I left 20 years ago....but as a holidays destination....
I think it is among the best.....I am heading here (see picture below)....and no..it is not the Carebbean....it is Puglia....south east edge....fantastic place...

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Holidays destination...touristic promotion

Post by Montag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:32 pm

I love Italy. Beautiful country and warm generous people. Only been once 30 years ago but Sorrento was super. Also stayed in Rome - visiting The Colloseo and the Vatican. Also Pompeii, Herculaneum and Monte Cassino. What a history. Loved it. :D
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Montag wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:32 pm
I love Italy. Beautiful country and warm generous people. Only been once 30 years ago but Sorrento was super. Also stayed in Rome - visiting The Colloseo and the Vatican. Also Pompeii, Herculaneum and Monte Cassino. What a history. Loved it. :D
..I have been to Roma, Sorrento (have a nice friend there) and Napoli only three weeks ago....fantastic week holiday, especially Sorrento area...

I think..well...I am pretty sure I will never go back to live in Italy (too messy, too much burocracy there....I am no more used to that)....but as a holidays destination it is fantastic...can find everything...beautiful mountains in the north (the Alpes, especially the Dolomiti area in the east), sandy beaches in the south, hills and medieval towns and villages in the centre, arts, history and then ...the FOOD !!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am

Visited Roma & Firenze a couple of years ago for the 1st time, fantastic place Italy, but like
its cousin Argentina which I know a lot better it seems chaotic but as charming as Buenos Aires.

Yes the food is on another level, simply superb.
Staff Benda Bilili

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am
Visited Roma & Firenze a couple of years ago for the 1st time, fantastic place Italy, but like
its cousin Argentina which I know a lot better it seems chaotic but as charming as Buenos Aires.

Yes the food is on another level, simply superb.
..well...it is more chaotic the more you move south....where the rules are no more rules but are considered sort of "suggestions"
not to be strictly applied.. :mrgreen:

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm

I just got back from ten days in Italy.

Started in your home city of Bologna to meet a group of friends then headed down to Salerno for a few days with family, i wanted to see some of the Amalfi coast but without being based in a very touristy town. (Ravello is just stunning) i really enjoyed Salerno on its own merits too. Also visited Naples and Paestum. Being with a toddler did limit what we could do. Had to fly back from Milan so also got to visit Verona. As you say just such a diversity in the towns and countryside make for a fantastic destination. (I've also been to Sicilly, Rome, Cinque Terra, Venice and Florence).

What's Puglia like to visit without a car? I almost chose it over Salerno but thought it might be less easy. I'm also really keen to visit Bergamo and the Piedmont region next time i'm up north.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm
I just got back from ten days in Italy.
What's Puglia like to visit without a car? I almost chose it over Salerno but thought it might be less easy. I'm also really keen to visit Bergamo and the Piedmont region next time i'm up north.
...I did Puglia also 2 years ago....you better have a car....so you can move around...I don't know how it is going around with the public transport.
I prefer driving as I am free to go and move and stop and decide what to do...
That time we flew to Bari...then rented a car, driving to Polignano a Mare, having lunch in the small square, then going to Ostuni the so called "white town", stunning...we were attending a wedding near there in a place called Ceglie Messapica, a place where it looks like you go back 100 years....then we drove around and ended in Matera, the City of the Stones, where Mel Gibson shot "The Passion of Christ". Indeed it looks like being in Palestina, incredible town, you see the Churches in the Rock (dig inside the hill)....really something stunning that has to be seen....
then you can see Alberobello with its famous Trulli...the Castellana Caves, the Castle del Monte....check these place on Googles and see how they look like...then you have the coast, especially the western coast on the Ionio Sea that is like being in the Tropics...

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:38 am

Giorgio wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm
ok..I am originally from Italy, Bologna north east...I am very critical with my country that I left 20 years ago....but as a holidays destination....
I think it is among the best.....I am heading here (see picture below)....and no..it is not the Carebbean....it is Puglia....south east edge....fantastic place...

That's a wonderful picture, Giorgio. No doubt you took it because it shows various QPR colours, including the controversial new away strip colour :wink:

13 holidays in Chianti and various breaks in Bologna, the Marche, Milan and Rome :)
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:38 am
That's a wonderful picture, Giorgio. No doubt you took it because it shows various QPR colours, including the controversial new away strip colour :wink:
13 holidays in Chianti and various breaks in Bologna, the Marche, Milan and Rome :)
...actually I did not take that pic, but I have been there and I can confirm that the place is really like that....

It looks that you have been in the center of the country but you should move both north - if you like mountains and hiking/trekking - and to the south if you life nice sea and beaches...plus history....On my last visit to Sorrento we went to Pompei and indeed it is fantastic. I never expected to find it so big....the archeological park is huge....we spent 2 hours with a guide then wandered and explored more for further 3 hours....

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:44 am

I love northern Italy. My maternal Grandmother was Italian and I have cousins in Faenza, about 35 miles south-east of Bologna. Faenza and the surrounding area is a favourite place to visit.

Brisighella, just south of Faenza, is one of the most beautiful Italian villages in Emilia Romagna and is where my anarchist great Grandfather tried to blow up the train station before fleeing to London to escape the police :D

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:28 am

dm wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:44 am
I love northern Italy. My maternal Grandmother was Italian and I have cousins in Faenza, about 35 miles south-east of Bologna. Faenza and the surrounding area is a favourite place to visit.

Brisighella, just south of Faenza, is one of the most beautiful Italian villages in Emilia Romagna and is where my anarchist great Grandfather tried to blow up the train station before fleeing to London to escape the police :D
..well my family is from Bologna...my mom now lives in Ravenna, on the coast...the capital of the Western Roman Empire when Roma collapsed...
so I know Faenza - situated right in the middle, with Imola - very well....also Brisighella, characteristic medieval "village" on the hills....
indeed a nice area...considered one of the best to live in the whole of Italy....as quality of life