Brexit blockage

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Brexit blockage

Post by Montag » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:41 pm

The Cooper amendment blocking a no-deal Brexit passed thanks to a single vote. The vote of a convicted felon wearing an ankle tag. There's your democracy for ya.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Brexit blockage

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:16 am

Montag wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:41 pm
The Cooper amendment blocking a no-deal Brexit passed thanks to a single vote. The vote of a convicted felon wearing an ankle tag. There's your democracy for ya.
How do you know it was his vote and not someone else's?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:16 am
Montag wrote:
How do you know it was his vote and not someone else's?
Her vote I think you mean. Of course you don't know if she was the the last person to enter the yes lobby but you know what is meant by saying her vote swung it.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:47 am

Montag wrote:
In what sense is that an issue about democracy ?

While I believe that she should have stood down when convicted, she's broken no rules or laws by continuing to vote in the House of Commons.

Conservative MP Chris Davies, who is currently awaiting sentencing having pleaded guilty to making a false expenses claim, voted against the amendment. So you might say that balances things out.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:56 pm

She hasn't broken any 'rules' but the difference is that Davies is not trying to subvert democracy.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare