Fullers

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Fullers

Post by 222gers » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Terrible news that Fuller, Smith and Turner's ( or Full o' $hit and Turnips as some used to say ), have sold the brewing business to a Japanese corp well known for bland, characterless beer.

I fear for the future of the iconic Chiswick brewery with its brewery shop and its brewery tap - the Mawson Arms. I wonder if that busy little corner of old Chiswick will become expensive riverside flats.

And of course, the beers including Gales and Dark Star, recently taken over by Fullers, are in danger of vanishing or becoming corporate and bland. A sad day for West London.
Last edited by 222gers on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Fullers

Post by old pauline » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm

True, but on the other hand decent micro-breweries are popping up here, there and everywhere these days so you can still get decent English beers even if too many of them are IPA's for my liking. As for Fullers, yes, a sad day indeed. You cannot beat a pint of London Pride. Even the days of getting pissed out of my head and chucking up on it as a teenager have not sullied the taste.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:18 pm

A good site to build a new stadium and retain the brewery? :wink:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 pm

This pisses me off.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:13 pm

I was in the Mawson Arms on Thursday and the brewery workers had no inkling of what was to come.
Way back in the 70s Fullers were struggling compared to neighbours Youngs. Customers kept faith and eventually, Fullers went from strength to strength. A pity Fullers management have less faith.
I feel disinclined to support Fullers with my custom, but of course, that won't help keep the brewery open
It will be interesting to see what becomes of Fullers/Gales/Dark Star ales.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 pm

old pauline wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm
even if too many of them are IPA's for my liking.
Ain't that the truth, I go in to so many pubs nowadays and the 'selection' comprises of golden this and amber that, I don't like it. Thank goodness for a Porter every now and again.

I think many Rangers fans of a certain age were raised on London Pride with the occasional ESB although I did prefer Youngs Special and the Winter Warmer at this time of year.

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:45 pm

It’s a shame Fullers is being taken over. It’s also a shame that they bought the very good Dark Star brewery in Sussex only last year. That was created after the collapse of King and Barnes who brewed some lovely beer. So, a small brewery, created after the collapse of a medium sized business, was taken over by a largish brewery and now by a huge brewery. A little longer ago Fullers took over the lovely Gales brewery. That ended the brewing of some great pints. But Harvey’s are still going in their magnificent brewery in Lewes.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 pm
old pauline wrote:
Ain't that the truth, I go in to so many pubs nowadays and the 'selection' comprises of golden this and amber that, I don't like it. Thank goodness for a Porter every now and again.

I think many Rangers fans of a certain age were raised on London Pride with the occasional ESB although I did prefer Youngs Special and the Winter Warmer at this time of year.
Agree on the current fad for citrusy beers. So many beers taste of grapefruit and smell of flowers !
Fortunately many pubs have “tasting notes” or the title of the beer makes it clear what type of beer it is. Fullers, of whom we write, have ventured into the citrus beer market with poor results. Their traditional beers are fine, but I get the impression that long term, only Pride will survive, and perhaps not as good as it's been over the years.

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm
Rbee wrote:
old pauline wrote:

Agree on the current fad for citrusy beers. So many beers taste of grapefruit and smell of flowers !
Fortunately many pubs have “tasting notes” or the title of the beer makes it clear what type of beer it is. Fullers, of whom we write, have ventured into the citrus beer market with poor results. Their traditional beers are fine, but I get the impression that long term, only Pride will survive, and perhaps not as good as it's been over the years.
Here I go, Mr. Gloom of grumpy castle.
London Pride was overhauled about 10 years ago and has never recovered. Nothing like the proper beer it used to be. The Young’s beer brewed at Wandsworth was some of the best in the land. All gone I’m afraid. The Fullers family never really gave a toss about the beer. The reason it survived as traditional beer was because they were too mean to spend any money on it. They preferred to concentrate on being “Wine Merchants “.
The Young family were dedicated to their brewing but when the older generation died off their kids couldn’t wait to sell the Wandsworth site for huge bucks. Again the beer never recovered.
I mourned the passing of Pride and Young’s Special and Young’s ordinary (unbelievably good and tasty for a relatively weak beer)at the time, which was quite a few years ago now.
RIP.
QPR shit but local

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 am
222gers wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm
Rbee wrote:

Here I go, Mr. Gloom of grumpy castle.
London Pride was overhauled about 10 years ago and has never recovered. Nothing like the proper beer it used to be. The Young’s beer brewed at Wandsworth was some of the best in the land. All gone I’m afraid. The Fullers family never really gave a toss about the beer. The reason it survived as traditional beer was because they were too mean to spend any money on it. They preferred to concentrate on being “Wine Merchants “.
The Young family were dedicated to their brewing but when the older generation died off their kids couldn’t wait to sell the Wandsworth site for huge bucks. Again the beer never recovered.
I mourned the passing of Pride and Young’s Special and Young’s ordinary (unbelievably good and tasty for a relatively weak beer)at the time, which was quite a few years ago now.
RIP.
I found it particularly galling that Youngs claimed the beer was “as good as ever” after they transferred the brewing to Charles Wells. Old Sir John Young must be turning in his grave.
I really miss Youngs pubs. Whilst it's interesting to try out the new beers from the smaller brewers, you don't know what's going to be on offer when entering a pub.