Superbowl and next year

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: redin

Superbowl and next year

Post by redinjun » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Any predictions on the big game?

I'd hate the Patriots to win but with their genius scheming and Brady it's hard to bet against them, if Gurley can get fit or sort out whatever his problem is then I think the Rams have a chance but my prediction is Pats by 10.

Next year Gruden will sort out the Raiders, they and the Browns will be the dark horses, Falcons will go again with fewer injuries. Superbowl will be Browns v Falcons.

I know its all a bit early but it is Friday afternoon.

Thoughts?

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:22 am

It's always unwise to bet against Bellichik and Brady, but I'll go for the Rams by 3-7 pts.

There's a lot of chatter that the Zebras will be 'sympathetic' towards the Pats as it's highly likely the end of the Brady era. Gronk will retire too. Bill to go too?

I doubt there that's been many teams that has won a superbowl with less individual talent than the Pats, who seemingly do it year after year. A testimony to pure teamwork and insanely good leadership.

Rams stack up well against the Pats, Brady's weakness is inside rush and Donald has that in spades. CJ Anderson can carry the running game load behind the Ram's impressive O-line. He's no Gurley but if (and he will) Bellichik devises an effective scheme to confuse Goff, then the Rams will lean on the run game and dump offs. If it works, Rams control the clock, Anderson gains 100+ yds rushing, another 50+ receiving and the Rams win. Anderson wins MVP. Unless of course Donald has one of his legendary multi strip-sack games. If Talib is fit to play, he will get a late pick of Brady and still has the speed to take it to the house.

Next year undoubtedly the Browns will be competitive. Alongside the Chiefs and Texans they are shaping up to be deep playoff contenders.
I think the Raiders are in terminal decline. Trading Mack was madness. Cooper has shown his ability in Dallas that Gruden couldn't extract in Oakland. Gruden is also down on Carr, but even with all those draft picks, there is no sure fire QB in the draft, and certainly not one in free agency. Mike Maycock was appointed as GM - He is less than stellar at appraising college talent.

The AFC looks weak for next year's. Steelers seem to be in meltdown. Chargers had an anomaly this season, Broncos need a QB and OLine.

NFC, Saints and Bears will continue to be strong. Rams, of course,. 49ers and Giants as teams that could surprise and make playoffs. Eagles and Falcons... Could go either way...win the conference or fail to make playoffs.

I
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20892
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm

You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm
You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
Not sure who the question is directed to, however I believe the Chiefs will be a perennial playoff team with Mahomes. Need a decent defensive draft and a decent cover ILB but otherwise they are set. Hunt was a huge loss, but have you seen the CCTV footage? Unforgivable. Needs to be in prison
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm
You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
Not sure who the question is directed to, however I believe the Chiefs will be a perennial playoff team with Mahomes. Need a decent defensive draft and a decent cover ILB but otherwise they are set. Hunt was a huge loss, but have you seen the CCTV footage? Unforgivable. Needs to be in prison
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20892
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:09 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm
You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
Not sure who the question is directed to, however I believe the Chiefs will be a perennial playoff team with Mahomes. Need a decent defensive draft and a decent cover ILB but otherwise they are set. Hunt was a huge loss, but have you seen the CCTV footage? Unforgivable. Needs to be in prison
No doubt at all about Hunt, they did the right thing to sack him. Hopefully he won't ever be needed by anyone, even if he rehabilitates, it was nasty.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: redin

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by redinjun » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm
You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
With the talent the Mahomes has I can see the chiefs being there about for many years, and the best time to build a team around him is whilst he's on his rookie contract. They have just fired their defensive coordinator- if they can sort out their defence they will be tough to beat.

The Browns and the Jets have a ton of cap space and a good young QB on a rookie deal, so if Adam Gase (old google eyes) really is a QB whisperer and the Browns have hit on a decent HC then who knows.

The salary cap is a perfect tool for parity, what a great competitive product the NFL produces, only Bellecheck's and Brady's genius bucks the revolving door of success.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20892
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 am

redinjun wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm
You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
With the talent the Mahomes has I can see the chiefs being there about for many years, and the best time to build a team around him is whilst he's on his rookie contract. They have just fired their defensive coordinator- if they can sort out their defence they will be tough to beat.

The Browns and the Jets have a ton of cap space and a good young QB on a rookie deal, so if Adam Gase (old google eyes) really is a QB whisperer and the Browns have hit on a decent HC then who knows.

The salary cap is a perfect tool for parity, what a great competitive product the NFL produces, only Bellecheck's and Brady's genius bucks the revolving door of success.
I read somewhere else, so cannot verify if true or not but, Brady has been taking sub par salaries over the years so the Pats aren't stymied by his demands and he can build his ring collection with a strong team.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: redin

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by redinjun » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 am
redinjun wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:19 pm
You think the Chiefs had their one and only season? Losing Kareem Hunt and then his back was a big blow for them and Mahomes has one last rookie season left I believe before his salary weakens the team.
With the talent the Mahomes has I can see the chiefs being there about for many years, and the best time to build a team around him is whilst he's on his rookie contract. They have just fired their defensive coordinator- if they can sort out their defence they will be tough to beat.

The Browns and the Jets have a ton of cap space and a good young QB on a rookie deal, so if Adam Gase (old google eyes) really is a QB whisperer and the Browns have hit on a decent HC then who knows.

The salary cap is a perfect tool for parity, what a great competitive product the NFL produces, only Bellecheck's and Brady's genius bucks the revolving door of success.
I read somewhere else, so cannot verify if true or not but, Brady has been taking sub par salaries over the years so the Pats aren't stymied by his demands and he can build his ring collection with a strong team.
That rings a bell and seems to make perfect sense, Gronk apparently has never used any of his wages and is a multi millionaire just from endorsements. Much as I love the conscious aim of parity, there seems to be a lot of 'pay me more' with a franchise QB being the biggest earner they have the most to give up to help the team. When Stafford was given a massive contract last year I did wonder how that would stymey the rest of the team.

I heard Brady will give it a rest when he has rings for all his fingers, so either he'll be playing till he's 50 or there's an unfortunate accident at a sawmill!

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by BiscuitRanger » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:16 am

Oops. As you were.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: redin

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by redinjun » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

redinjun wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:56 pm

I'd hate the Patriots to win but with their genius scheming and Brady it's hard to bet against them, if Gurley can get fit or sort out whatever his problem is then I think the Rams have a chance but my prediction is Pats by 10.
In a parallel universe I put my house on that and retired to Barbuda.

User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:54 pm

redinjun wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am
redinjun wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:56 pm

I'd hate the Patriots to win but with their genius scheming and Brady it's hard to bet against them, if Gurley can get fit or sort out whatever his problem is then I think the Rams have a chance but my prediction is Pats by 10.
In a parallel universe I put my house on that and retired to Barbuda.
Great Shout Redinjun, well done. I doff my cap to your higher predictive prowess.

Did you watch the game? I believe it was equal lowest score ever. Got to hand it to those schemsters though.

Next year should be funnerer (self-sic) though . The best QB prospect, who just declared for the draft is a midget, the other QB prospects look average. The draft is all about D this year. Free Agency is likely to be decent for QB's, and then there's the Pittsburgh malcontents, Brown, Bell to add to the mix.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20892
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Superbowl and next year

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Has it been revealed yet how the Pats cheated to the game Sunday? :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Post Reply