Theresa's big day

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5343
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Swinedon

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by Rbee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 pm

Many thought no deal was better than May's deal so let's see what happens next.

User avatar
krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 am

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by krama » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Not a political animal by any means, but I feel sorry Mrs. May. She is dealing with an unprecedented scenario and to all those whining about her, I bet they couldn't have done a better job. All that Corbyn does is have a pop at her without offering any alternative. The guy is complete d1ck. That's my pennyworth but don't give a to$$ in all honesty.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9971
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 pm
At the last election, the vast majority of MPs stood on a platform of Brexit means Brexit. Now, the conniving toewrags are trying to renege on that. This "People's Vote", what's that? Who voted before? Androids?
The election was different from the referendum though, and people didn't vote solely based on that (other than those obsessives for whom everything is about Brexit). I agree on the "People's Vote". They should just be honest and call it what it is, a second referendum.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4567
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by Montag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 pm

And if it goes the other way? What then? Best of 3? If it doesn't? Best of 5? 7? 9? Until we get the result that the majority of our politicians want? IMO, Davy Davies should've been given a free hand to negotiate. Instead it seems TM, her advisers and the FCO formulated an arselicking agenda that could only end like this.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6377
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 am

Montag wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 pm
And if it goes the other way? What then? Best of 3? If it doesn't? Best of 5? 7? 9? Until we get the result that the majority of our politicians want? IMO, Davy Davies should've been given a free hand to negotiate. Instead it seems TM, her advisers and the FCO formulated an arselicking agenda that could only end like this.
If it goes the other way that will be the end. No need for a further PEOPLES VOTE then. The voice of the people will have been heard load and clear. I look forward to the furure and having returned to the fold with our tails between our legs what happens when Brussels decides everyone must have the Euro. What happens if Brussels wants more political integration. Of course we will require a referendum (treaty change) and having been so vocal in saying we cannot leave how will remainers possibly campaign for no vote. of course the easiest way out will be for whoever is in charge at the time to declare any changes are not considered a treaty change. I believe that argument has been used before Lisbon anyone.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4932
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by 222gers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 am

As the Americans would say “we're damned if we do and durned if we don't”

Whatever happens there will be a lot of disgruntled people.

We have the worst group of politicians in modern political history.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13099
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by dm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm

I doubt if another referendum would produce a different result. The best way to resolve the entire impasse is a General Election.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6377
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

dm wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm
I doubt if another referendum would produce a different result. The best way to resolve the entire impasse is a General Election.
But will it. What party will put into their manifesto that they will ignore the first referendum and stay in the EU.

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by Systemsguy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

A little bit more on the Lisbon treaty.....

Worth a read when the Irish voted by a BIGGER (not much admittedly) margin NOT to join the EU.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bon-treaty
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13099
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by dm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm
dm wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm
I doubt if another referendum would produce a different result. The best way to resolve the entire impasse is a General Election.
But will it. What party will put into their manifesto that they will ignore the first referendum and stay in the EU.
Indeed, it would take a brave person to say that and I don't think any of the major parties would. Although there'd be some of the usual politicking, whoever won would have to honour their manifesto commitment on the EU with article 50 due to be enacted just a few months later. A GE might actually force politicians to be open and honest for once.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6377
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 pm

dm wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm
dm wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm
I doubt if another referendum would produce a different result. The best way to resolve the entire impasse is a General Election.
But will it. What party will put into their manifesto that they will ignore the first referendum and stay in the EU.
Indeed, it would take a brave person to say that and I don't think any of the major parties would. Although there'd be some of the usual politicking, whoever won would have to honour their manifesto commitment on the EU with article 50 due to be enacted just a few months later. A GE might actually force politicians to be open and honest for once.
And pigs might.........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6377
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm
A little bit more on the Lisbon treaty.....

Worth a read when the Irish voted by a BIGGER (not much admittedly) margin NOT to join the EU.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bon-treaty
Interesting how history is repeating itself with this referendum

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4932
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by 222gers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm
A little bit more on the Lisbon treaty.....

Worth a read when the Irish voted by a BIGGER (not much admittedly) margin NOT to join the EU.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bon-treaty
I don't think Ireland voted not to join the EU...they joined many year back without a referendum. It was the Lisbon Treaty they voted against I believe. The wording of the treaty was so complex, probably intentionally, that ordinary folk couldn't understand it. We signed the treaty without any referendum. I think it was Gordon Brown that signed. None of this of course helps us in our predicament. I can't see this mess being sorted by March 29th.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6377
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm

222gers wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm
A little bit more on the Lisbon treaty.....

Worth a read when the Irish voted by a BIGGER (not much admittedly) margin NOT to join the EU.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... bon-treaty
I don't think Ireland voted not to join the EU...they joined many year back without a referendum. It was the Lisbon Treaty they voted against I believe. The wording of the treaty was so complex, probably intentionally, that ordinary folk couldn't understand it. We signed the treaty without any referendum. I think it was Gordon Brown that signed. None of this of course helps us in our predicament. I can't see this mess being sorted by March 29th.
Quite right. It started as a constitutional change which would require us to have a referendum then like magic the exact deal was rebranded as a treaty which at the time did not require a referendum. The EU at its democratic best.

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am

Loved some of quotes from the usual suspects in the Guardian article....

Could imagine it was said in 2016 after #Leave won.....

"They were sneeringly insulted by their betters in Brussels. Neil Kinnock said it was a "triumph of ignorance". Andrew Duff, Liberal Democrat MEP, labelled the "rejectionists" as an "odd bunch of racists, xenophobes, nationalists, communists, the disappointed centre left and the generally pissed off".
2018/2019.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Post Reply