Theresa's big day

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by Montag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 pm

I used to be pro- EU. Now, I wouldn't vote to stay in if that piss-artist Junker came round and cut my grass every weekend. We need to leave. Why do countries who suck money out have the same vote and power as those such as the UK who pump money in. That way, madness leads.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am

They have the same vote because that's how a democracy works. But you're not seriously suggesting that the likes of Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia have the same power and influence within the EU as Germany, France or indeed the UK ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 am

Paul Fitz wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:17 pm
Interesting.
Not really surprised we don’t hear about things like this. Left wing press have done an excellent job.

I am steadfast in my belief that we should leave the EU, think it’ll bring us nothing but opportunities. I am absolutely convinced that they do not want us to leave because it will be the beginning of the end for their corrupt, incompetent members club.

That said, I (also) absolutely respect the views of the remain side, the non hysterical ones make some very valid points and should be listened to.

What’s the answer.........haven’t got a clue but I do know the minute we try to overturn a democratic vote (because it goes against everything you believe) then where does it end. If anything, because of the the way some of these politicians (and ex ones) have behaved, my personal views have become even further entrenched (and I think/Hope I’m not one of the lunatics😂)

Let’s see where we end up. Love to all.
It's one random bloke's anecdotal view. Hardly surprising it hasn't made the front pages.

The right wing press in this country have spent the last 30+ years chipping away at the EU, with the Daily Mail and the Sun leading the charge. The message certainly got home.

The EU have been very open about the fact they don't want us to leave. It's a lose-lose situation for both parties in the short to medium term. Long term, as you say, who knows ?

If one democratic vote is superceded by another, then I can't see how that's a dangerous precedent, although I do understand that Leave voters will be pissed off. At the moment it seems to me that if /when May's plan is rejected, we will be drifting towards a No Deal scenario, at which point, Parliament will intervene. Even though I believe that would be the right thing to do for the country, I do think there will be significant anger if that's how things pan out.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 am
Paul Fitz wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:17 pm
Interesting.
Not really surprised we don’t hear about things like this. Left wing press have done an excellent job.

I am steadfast in my belief that we should leave the EU, think it’ll bring us nothing but opportunities. I am absolutely convinced that they do not want us to leave because it will be the beginning of the end for their corrupt, incompetent members club.

That said, I (also) absolutely respect the views of the remain side, the non hysterical ones make some very valid points and should be listened to.

What’s the answer.........haven’t got a clue but I do know the minute we try to overturn a democratic vote (because it goes against everything you believe) then where does it end. If anything, because of the the way some of these politicians (and ex ones) have behaved, my personal views have become even further entrenched (and I think/Hope I’m not one of the lunatics😂)

Let’s see where we end up. Love to all.
It's one random bloke's anecdotal view. Hardly surprising it hasn't made the front pages.

The right wing press in this country have spent the last 30+ years chipping away at the EU, with the Daily Mail and the Sun leading the charge. The message certainly got home.

The EU have been very open about the fact they don't want us to leave. It's a lose-lose situation for both parties in the short to medium term. Long term, as you say, who knows ?

If one democratic vote is superceded by another, then I can't see how that's a dangerous precedent, although I do understand that Leave voters will be pissed off. At the moment it seems to me that if /when May's plan is rejected, we will be drifting towards a No Deal scenario, at which point, Parliament will intervene. Even though I believe that would be the right thing to do for the country, I do think there will be significant anger if that's how things pan out.
That's the problem with referenda (that is the plural I hope) a second vote is arbitrary and only happens if the losing side is more powerful. In a general election there is an automatic right to have another go and another and another and so on.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm

wrinklyhoop wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 am
Sarcasm doesn’t work with those guys. I was once asked “Is it OK if I body search you?” (The answer is ‘yes’ BTW or you don’t travel). Being in a somewhat pissed off mood due to the more than usually tiresome security checks I jested “So long as you don’t take pleasure in it.” That was met with total sense of humour failure and a rather longer than necessary search 🙄
...I know that very well and I am fine being searched....though I got in troubles weeks ago at Heathrow T2 when the guy searching me
did it in a way that I had never experienced before - and I have been through it several times.

He basically went on squeezing my nuts and when I complained telling him that I was not appreciating his touches he immediately called
his supervisor that came and without even listening to my version of the story began "attacking" me using a threatening tone and
the usual sentence "do you want to go on your flight or go back out of the terminal ?" :roll: :roll:

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:25 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am
They have the same vote because that's how a democracy works. But you're not seriously suggesting that the likes of Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia have the same power and influence within the EU as Germany, France or indeed the UK ?
Technically, they do. And as net contributors are few and far between, they outnumber us quite easily.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm
...I know that very well and I am fine being searched....though I got in troubles weeks ago at Heathrow T2 when the guy searching me
did it in a way that I had never experienced before - and I have been through it several times.

He basically went on squeezing my nuts and when I complained telling him that I was not appreciating his touches he immediately called
his supervisor that came and without even listening to my version of the story began "attacking" me using a threatening tone and
the usual sentence "do you want to go on your flight or go back out of the terminal ?" :roll: :roll:
That's how they do pants :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANwTBK3Ylg

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:04 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 am

Right wing press, left wing press, the media in gerneral cannot be trusted nowadays and that really annoys me.

News with an opinion.

News with an agenda.

News restrictions and blackouts all over the place.

In amongst the litter on social media you will find snippits of the real news.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Corbyn accused of unparliamentary language for mouthing “ stupid woman “ at May in the house. He could have mouthed something far worse. That said, I despair of current politicians - never in my life have I known such a pathetic bunch. The politicians of yesteryear were intellectual and political giants compared with this rabble.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Corbyn is a man of principle. Always has been. That is why he has been open about his hatred of the EU and its predecessor the EEC. NOT!!!!!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Failed to get her Brexit deal through the House tonight. She'll win the vote of no confidence OK but where that leaves us on leaving the EU is anyone's guess. The EU won't postpone Brexit day so we either stay or leave with no deal - just ten weeks away. Blimey.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Theresa May has no shame. Either that or she has a schizoid personality disorder. Europe and the rest of the world will be looking on in utter disbelief that she continues to blunder on.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 pm
Failed to get her Brexit deal through the House tonight. She'll win the vote of no confidence OK but where that leaves us on leaving the EU is anyone's guess. The EU won't postpone Brexit day so we either stay or leave with no deal - just ten weeks away. Blimey.
We will stay. MPs for whatever reason do not want us to leave. They voted for the referendum expecting the correct result, it did not come and since then they've tried to find a way of staying in the EU while pretending they accepted the result. There are three groups in this, two I respect, those that want to leave and admit it, those that want to stay and admit but then there is a majority who were frightened to openly say they are not interested in the great unwashed but tried in every way to undermine the decision. We have wasted over two years of negotiations. Negotiation involves two parties who want different things but hope to agree a path acceptable to both sides. The negotiations we have had is between two parties who want the same thing.

I really wonder the future, whose that did not want to leave have told us in no uncertain terms that it would be a disaster to leave not just make us a little poorer but a degree of magnitude poorer. How can they change in the future. I understand it requires a referendum here should there be any new EU treaty. Those who want remain cannot possibly change their views and thus have shown they will accept anything from Brussels

As far as the EU not wanting to postpone Brexit I thought we could unilaterally revoke Article 50

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Yes we can revoke article 50. There has to be a motion passed in the House for this to happen but as most MPs want to remain, that would be no problem.

The EU has said it will not renegotiate terms or postpone the leaving day. As you say John, it's all stacking up for us to remain. This would probably cause social unrest. Strange times indeed !

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 pm

At the last election, the vast majority of MPs stood on a platform of Brexit means Brexit. Now, the conniving toewrags are trying to renege on that. This "People's Vote", what's that? Who voted before? Androids? If you read "News from Nowhere" by William Morris you'll find that, in his travels into the future, The palace of Westminster is used for storing dung. Talk about prophesy. :evil: aniwall