Theresa's big day

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Theresa's big day

Post by 222gers » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Apparently trying to sell the Brexit deal to the cabinet individually tonight and then collectively tomorrow.

Even if she gets them to go with it, it doesn't seem likely to get through the house with so many disparate views to appease.

She seems on a hiding to nothing, I've even began to feel some empathy with her which goes against my normal view.

The villain of the piece - Cameron, is said to be eyeing a comeback

Ye Gods !

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Theresa's big day

Post by QPR_John » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:34 pm
Apparently trying to sell the Brexit deal to the cabinet individually tonight and then collectively tomorrow.

Even if she gets them to go with it, it doesn't seem likely to get through the house with so many disparate views to appease.

She seems on a hiding to nothing, I've even began to feel some empathy with her which goes against my normal view.

The villain of the piece - Cameron, is said to be eyeing a comeback

Ye Gods !
I think she should be praised for the wonderful job she has done. We are told the referendum left a divided country, she has managed to unite it by getting a deal both remainders and brexiters can come together to reject.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:30 pm

...really curious to see what is happening after the 29th March...in terms of entering the UK as a foreigner....
I fly from Dublin every time and I hope they are not to make too many probs on crossing the border, like visas or similar
shit cos I could be forced to give up coming to LR if that is becoming too annoying...

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:30 pm
...really curious to see what is happening after the 29th March...in terms of entering the UK as a foreigner....
I fly from Dublin every time and I hope they are not to make too many probs on crossing the border, like visas or similar
shit cos I could be forced to give up coming to LR if that is becoming too annoying...
Have you an Irish passport. I ask because there is a thing called the common travel area which was in existence long before the Common Market/EU was conceived. As far as I know it has never been revoked and it gives Irish citizens free movement in the U.K. As I said before long before the EU.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:44 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Have you an Irish passport. I ask because there is a thing called the common travel area which was in existence long before the Common Market/EU was conceived. As far as I know it has never been revoked and it gives Irish citizens free movement in the U.K. As I said before long before the EU.
..no...Italian passport....that is an European passport, though now stating to be an European sounds like being considered a sort of an enemy in the UK... :roll: :roll:

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:44 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:37 pm

..no...Italian passport....that is an European passport, though now stating to be an European sounds like being considered a sort of an enemy in the UK... :roll: :roll:
I don't think anybody thinks being a European equates to being an enemy of the UK not least because in or out of the EU UK citizens are European as people from Asia are Asians or people from Africa are Africans etc. The idea that people of Europe are considered by the UK as enemies is one of the many dangerous ideas put about by those wishing to remain in the EU and allowed to gain credence by the EU itself.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:01 pm
I don't think anybody thinks being a European equates to being an enemy of the UK not least because in or out of the EU UK citizens are European as people from Asia are Asians or people from Africa are Africans etc. The idea that people of Europe are considered by the UK as enemies is one of the many dangerous ideas put about by those wishing to remain in the EU and allowed to gain credence by the EU itself.
...I have been travelling into the UK hundreds of times in the last 30 years and honestly I am experiencing now some differences on entering....it is not the same in all the airports, but for example at Leeds/Bradford now they have a dedicated queue/desk to check the EU passports and ask some questions about the reason for entering the UK, why are you here, for how long, etc etc...,something that did not happen in the past and something that does not make me feel very welcome. I don't find this in Southampton, Heathrow, Stanstead, Liverpool and Bristol, sometimes in Gatwick and Manchester. Not yet, at least. But I have seen some desks - empty for now - appearing in these airports, ready to be used soon.
What if I answer those question with..."I have come here to steal your jobs..." as some guys interviewed in Sunderland, chewing a burger, stated about the stranger coming...? :roll: :roll:

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 pm

These are strange and difficult times. The whole Brexit issue has brought out the worst in some people on both sides of the debate. Where I live in Hammersmith, there has been a large Polish community going back to WW2. So much so there is a large Polish Centre that has been there for years, way before the Accession day when people from Eastern Europe had the right to settle here. The day after the referendum, some charming people had daubed Polish scum out in paint all over the front of the building. Local people brought flowers and cards to show solidarity.
Fortunately, the vast majority on both sides are decent folk who are prepared to debate their differences in a civilised manner, as people on this board do. Sadly at the “top”, people like Vince Cable and Boris Johnson have used the issue to further their own ends.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:01 pm
...I have been travelling into the UK hundreds of times in the last 30 years and honestly I am experiencing now some differences on entering....it is not the same in all the airports, but for example at Leeds/Bradford now they have a dedicated queue/desk to check the EU passports and ask some questions about the reason for entering the UK, why are you here, for how long, etc etc...,something that did not happen in the past and something that does not make me feel very welcome. I don't find this in Southampton, Heathrow, Stanstead, Liverpool and Bristol, sometimes in Gatwick and Manchester. Not yet, at least. But I have seen some desks - empty for now - appearing in these airports, ready to be used soon.
What if I answer those question with..."I have come here to steal your jobs..." as some guys interviewed in Sunderland, chewing a burger, stated about the stranger coming...? :roll: :roll:
Admittedly I have not travelled the world extensively but have been to the USA, Canada and Thailand and in all cases have experienced those questions but never felt unwelcome. If we leave the EU which I doubt will now happen you will not have right of entry as I will not to the EU unless there are rules put in place (CTA for Irish citizens for example) but this is no different to the rules for any other country. It does not mean we dislike each other.

As to the dedicated desk at Leeds/Bradford are you saying there is one queue for British citizens, one queue for EU citizens and one queue for the rest of the world. I would be interested in this personally as I have been told that the CTA is still relevant.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 pm

TM has been handed a poison chalice for sure but you can't blame Dave boy Cam for what has happened. The EU has become increasingly unpopular since Thatcher was arse-kicked. This was always coming. As someone who was always, until recently pro European, I have to accept that what we actually have in place now is a new German Empire in all but name. Look how Greece were treated. Italy have suffered similar treatment. The EU's behaviour towards the UK is disgraceful given the history between our countries and the amount of money we have pumped into this organisation. Blair is far more culpable than Cameron as is that Dracula lookalike, Brown. Taxation without representation is vassalage is it not?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Montag wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 pm
TM has been handed a poison chalice for sure but you can't blame Dave boy Cam for what has happened. The EU has become increasingly unpopular since Thatcher was arse-kicked. This was always coming. As someone who was always, until recently pro European, I have to accept that what we actually have in place now is a new German Empire in all but name. Look how Greece were treated. Italy have suffered similar treatment. The EU's behaviour towards the UK is disgraceful given the history between our countries and the amount of money we have pumped into this organisation. Blair is far more culpable than Cameron as is that Dracula lookalike, Brown. Taxation without representation is vassalage is it not?
I definitely blame Cameron. I don't think he called the referendum because he was interested in the will of the country, more to win back Tory voters who had strayed to UKIP, and to appease his Brexit back benchers. We've had some terrible Prime Ministers in my time, him, Thatcher and Major being the worst. I don't think May is very able, but she's had a nightmare of a time and has stuck with it. The alternatives in the Tory party don't bear thinking about.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Admittedly I have not travelled the world extensively but have been to the USA, Canada and Thailand and in all cases have experienced those questions but never felt unwelcome. I
...well...when you enter the US you are subject to plenty of examination, even fingerprints...on entering...
what I mean is...when I am travelling Europe cos the UK is still part of the EU, though for few months, I never go through any of these
procedures, being a unique entity as territory. Now many airport ask to check the documents and that's fine, but if I wear a QPR shirt, scarf and hat...and land at Leeds airport when QPR play Leeds, if they ask me all those questions, can I answer "Guess why...?" or will be they upset and offended...?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:42 am

What about half of Eiré turning out for Man Ure & Liverpool home games? That should keep the border control busy. :-)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:42 am
What about half of Eiré turning out for Man Ure & Liverpool home games? That should keep the border control busy. :-)
actually there are plenty of Irish fans travelling to UK to attend football matches....
I see Manure, Scum, L'pool, Arsenal and Leeds fans every time at the airport....

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 am

Giorgio wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Admittedly I have not travelled the world extensively but have been to the USA, Canada and Thailand and in all cases have experienced those questions but never felt unwelcome. I
...well...when you enter the US you are subject to plenty of examination, even fingerprints...on entering...
what I mean is...when I am travelling Europe cos the UK is still part of the EU, though for few months, I never go through any of these
procedures, being a unique entity as territory. Now many airport ask to check the documents and that's fine, but if I wear a QPR shirt, scarf and hat...and land at Leeds airport when QPR play Leeds, if they ask me all those questions, can I answer "Guess why...?" or will be they upset and offended...?
Sarcasm doesn’t work with those guys. I was once asked “Is it OK if I body search you?” (The answer is ‘yes’ BTW or you don’t travel). Being in a somewhat pissed off mood due to the more than usually tiresome security checks I jested “So long as you don’t take pleasure in it.” That was met with total sense of humour failure and a rather longer than necessary search 🙄