Time Wasting

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Time Wasting

Post by 222gers » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 pm

The International FA Board are at last looking into this increasingly annoying trend. Cardiff v Burnley on Sunday saw the ball in play for only 42 minutes and 2 seconds, establishing a five year low in the Prem. Apparently “a large number of ideas” are under discussion. I would have thought refs had the power to tackle it but as we know to our dismay they don't. It must be a factor in fans getting disillusioned with the game, let's hope they come up with some solutions.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Time Wasting

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Amen to that. One of the best things about American Football is that you pay for 60 minutes of action and you get 60 minutes of action, even if it takes 3 hours plus. :shock:
More workable solutions might be to advance any free kick by 10 yards for defenders not retreating straightaway, even if it results in a penalty. Players just falling to the floor with no obvious signs of contact having been made at the end of a game to be ignored until the current passage of played has been seen out.
Goalkeepers given just one warning before receiving a yellow card and for the referee to indicate which side any goal kick is to be taken as this is one of the biggest time wasting tactics in most games. Maybe once the goalkeeper receives the ball to his hands there is a 20-30 second permitted time interval before the kick must be taken.
Outfield players surrounding the ref after many decisions cause quite long delays; unequivocal law change to limit it to the player(s) involved and the captain, anyone else gets a yellow and the kick moved forward 10 yards.
Those are just what popped into my mind but I am sure others will have other opinions.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Somegood ideas Esox. I just hope refs have the balls to enforce whatever is decided. There is already a rule that is supposed to stop players surrounding the ref, but refs gave up on it after half a season. The idea you had a while back about a mandatory 15 mins off the field for players with supposed head injuries would help.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:26 pm

On Talksport they were discussing having an independent time keeper just like with American Football with stadium clock showing how long is left.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:26 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:17 pm
Somegood ideas Esox. I just hope refs have the balls to enforce whatever is decided. There is already a rule that is supposed to stop players surrounding the ref, but refs gave up on it after half a season. The idea you had a while back about a mandatory 15 mins off the field for players with supposed head injuries would help.
Yep, a concern over a concussion would certainly not be contestable by any player trying to blag the ref. "It's for your own good son/ miss" :D

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:22 pm

I didn't see tonight's match but reports saying we were “running down the clock.”

Great to get three points, but it would be hypocritical to say it's OK for us to do it because other teams have done it to us. It still needs to be stamped out.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:44 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:22 pm
I didn't see tonight's match but reports saying we were “running down the clock.”

Great to get three points, but it would be hypocritical to say it's OK for us to do it because other teams have done it to us. It still needs to be stamped out.
I saw it and was disappointed to see it. If we had carried on pressing the fakes the way we had before the goal then we wouldn't have needed to time waste. Everyone sitting back and inviting them on nearly undone us when they hit the upright. It wouldn't have happened if we had persisited with our tactics.