The Punch Brothers

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: The Punch Brothers

Post by dm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Rbee wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:35 pm
dm wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 pm
Despite being massively into contemporary jazz

Here's a track from their latest album All Ashore for anyone interested in a taster[/youtube]
Thanks for posting, certainly different.

Who are you into Jazz wise?
A lot of contemporary jazz like Pat Metheny, Yellowjackets, Snarky Puppy, Go Go Penguin etc. But I love many of the Bebop classics and some big band stuff too.

Are you into jazz Rbee?

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I certainly am dm but a different Jazz to you!

I was a huge fan of 80's soul and branched out in to Jazz Funk and artists like George Benson and Grover Washington followed later by Spyro Gyra and Pieces of a Dream.

Nowadays sax players like Euge Groove and Boney James, pianists Brian Culbertson and Brian Simpson, guitarists Peter White and Jeffrey Smith. Some of it is up tempo but I really like the chilled stuff, so relaxing. Taking it a step further down is the multi talented Konstantin Klashtorni.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Rbee wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 pm
I certainly am dm but a different Jazz to you!

I was a huge fan of 80's soul and branched out in to Jazz Funk and artists like George Benson and Grover Washington followed later by Spyro Gyra and Pieces of a Dream.

Nowadays sax players like Euge Groove and Boney James, pianists Brian Culbertson and Brian Simpson, guitarists Peter White and Jeffrey Smith. Some of it is up tempo but I really like the chilled stuff, so relaxing. Taking it a step further down is the multi talented Konstantin Klashtorni.
Grover Washington. His Mr Magic and Feels So Good albums were huge favs of mine in the 70s. I was into Funk Jazz too and still like a bit of it now and again.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Followed by Winelight and Come Morning. I bumped in to him and his wife in Venice would you believe about a year before he died.

The track above has a touch of the funk about it I guess with that bassline. Only really got in to this stuff the past year or so, a new adventure. I used to do a soul show on Sunday afternoons on Cambridge 105 and would always drop in a track like that and a bit of Lovers Rock to mix it up a bit.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 pm

My favourite era for jazz was the straight-ahead stuff from the 50s and 60s. People like Zoot Sims, Horace Silver, Hank Penny and the like. Ladies like Ernestine Anderson and Dakota Staton. Can't say I'm much so much into later stuff but the Slickaphonics with the outrageous Ray Anderson on trombone were great. Their best album, Wow Bag, going for a cool £1200 on Amazon. I like some George Russell stuff. Jazz is such a broad church it's little wonder some of us are in thrall to it.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:31 am

This morning during an interview with a guest musician on ABC Perth radio, The Punch Brothers were cited as the band he was most listening to at this moment in time.
Question everything.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 am

I came across this great 30 minute live recording of the band from 6 years ago. It's a particularly fun showcase of their fantastic musical skills playing their own progressive style and a bit of traditional bluegrass.

I only wish I'd discovered them years ago.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Well, I saw the Punch Brothers at the Barbican last night. They gave a 2 hour set with three encores in an absolutely outstanding performance.

For the last section of their closing song (Familiarity) they all came to the edge of the stage leaving behind the amplification and finished playing it acoustically (all their instruments are non-electric). The effect was stunning. Everyone physically and attentively leaned forward to catch what they were doing in the closing minutes of, what is, a particularly emotional song.

I hope they come back to London soon and, if they do, go and see them. You won't be disappointed.