Preston ale recommendations

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Pnealefan
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:31 am

Preston ale recommendations

Post by Pnealefan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi Rs,

The new season is upon us and we meet again on Saturday for the umpteenth time in this division.

For those who like a quality beer or ten pre/post match this is just a quick post to recommend some of the watering holes that lay between Preston railway station and Deepdale inc two new places that have opened since you last visited.

First up is the Plug & Taps on Lune Street (PR1 2NN) Preston's newest ale house and the nearest from the station (2/3mins walk). With four cask & ten keg taps the P&T is very much a craft ale focused bar run by two great lads with a big passion for good beer despite only being 23-25 years old. Currently on the bar are beers by Cloudwater, Rivington, Pomona, Wiper & True, Time & Tide, Garden, Squawk, Marble and Outstanding breweries whilst the P&T fridge is crammed full of great beers from all over the place. P&T is also handily next door to the Lune Street chippy. For more info see @plugtapsPR1 on Twitter or Plug And Taps on Facebook.

This year saw the opening of Preston's new outdoor market complex and with it Orchard (PR1 2JA), a microbar who like P&T, focus mainly on craft keg beer with ten taps and only two cask pumps. Orchard is rather small but well worth a visit especially if you fancy something to eat from the vast selection in the market which you can consume in the bar with your pint. Aside from ale there is also a healthy selection of (boxed) cider, gin, rum and wine. Currently on the bar are beers from Hacker Pschoor, Paulaner, Cloudwater, Moorhouses, Beavertown, Pomona, Lindeman's & Põhjala (Estonia) breweries. For further information check out @TheOrchardPres1 on Twitter/Instagram and Orchard on Facebook.

Next up is The Guild Ale House on Lancaster Road (PR1 1DD), Preston's first ever micropub which is handily just 30 seconds walk from Orchard (and still only 5/6 mins from the station). GAH is more traditional in its approach to beer with six cask pumps and three craft keg taps whilst Paulaner & Bavo pils are on draught for non-ale drinkers. There is no music, no TV and no sport in GAH, just healthy chatter and plenty of beer based reading material. Currently on the bar are beers from Elland, Hophurst, Parker, Willy Fox, Bank Top, Wilde Child, Kona & Beavertown breweries with two fridges stocked with craft bottles and cans and a large number of Belgium beers. For more information see @GuildAleHouse on Twitter/Istangram and Guild Ale House on Facebook.

My final recommendation is the jewel in Preston's beer crown. The Moorbrook on North Road (PR1 1RU) was the first pub in Preston to specialise in craft beer in both cask and keg form and truly is the best pub in town. With ten cask pumps and five keg taps serving ale from throughout the UK and beyond The Moorbrook is a handy halfway point between station and ground (15mins walk from each) with extensive parking to the rear for those in the car/minibus courtesy of a now closed B&Q. As well as quality ale The Moorbrook serves freshly made woodfired pizzas from its oven in the beer garden as well as homemade burgers, both are utterly delicious! Currently on the bar are beers from Elephant School, Brews, Three Castles, Hopcraft, Ashover, Burnt Mill, Tiny Rebel and Blackjack breweries whilst for those not into their ale Guinness, Thatcher's, Stella 4, Bavo and Campus pilsners are available on draught with Paulaner, Augustiner Edelstoff, Peroni Red and Corona in the fridges. There is also a wide range of wines and spirits. If you are only able to visit one pub on Saturday or can't be bothered moving from pub to pub make The Moorbrook the one you get to. For further information please see @themoorbrook on twitter, The Moorbrook on Facebook or www.themoorbrook.com.

Another couple of places worth mentioning are The Old Vic directly opposite the railway station and The Black Horse on Friargate as both open at 11am rather than 12pm. The Old Vic usually has three/four mainstream cask beers on whilst The Black Horse is a stunningly beautiful pub from the 1700s that serves Robinson's and guest beers from six cask pumps.

One final note please ignore the police advice on where to drink if you like good beer, especially @pnepolice on Twitter who will just send you to places that are easy to police.

Safe journey up and see you on Saturday.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12858
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by dm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 pm

What an amazing post. I'm only sorry I'm not going to the match on Saturday now. The ale sounds outstanding.

Thanks Mr Pnealefan

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20616
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for posting that, it is always useful information for the travelling fan(s) and the Moorbrook sounds like it could be after The Vine's crown as the best away pub :D One season I AM going to get to Deepdale, that and Fleetwood are the only grounds I haven't been to in Lancashire.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4616
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by 222gers » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Many thanks an interesting and informative post. When I saw the reference to Wiper & True, I remembered I had a couple of bottles of their Milk Stout in the shed. I'm drinking one now !

Pnealefan
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Pnealefan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm
Thanks for posting that, it is always useful information for the travelling fan(s) and the Moorbrook sounds like it could be after The Vine's crown as the best away pub :D One season I AM going to get to Deepdale, that and Fleetwood are the only grounds I haven't been to in Lancashire.
Yes you do. Not so sure about Fleetwood though, not a lot there!

Pnealefan
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Pnealefan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:08 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:03 pm
Many thanks an interesting and informative post. When I saw the reference to Wiper & True, I remembered I had a couple of bottles of their Milk Stout in the shed. I'm drinking one now !
That is indeed the one they have on. Absolutely stunning beer an all!

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20616
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Pnealefan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:07 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm
Thanks for posting that, it is always useful information for the travelling fan(s) and the Moorbrook sounds like it could be after The Vine's crown as the best away pub :D One season I AM going to get to Deepdale, that and Fleetwood are the only grounds I haven't been to in Lancashire.
Yes you do. Not so sure about Fleetwood though, not a lot there!
They may not exist in a season or two now that Captain Twatter is the manager.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 9725
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 am

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for posting that. Getting thirsty just reading it.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am

Very kind and helpful, but, it all sounds a bit complicated.
I don't think that I shall go.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20616
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am

kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am
Very kind and helpful, but, it all sounds a bit complicated.
I don't think that I shall go.
*Hand, *full beer glass, * mouth open, *pour in mouth. There you go, you're ready for Preston. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am
kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am
Very kind and helpful, but, it all sounds a bit complicated.
I don't think that I shall go.
*Hand, *full beer glass, * mouth open, *pour in mouth. There you go, you're ready for Preston. :D
But there must have been about 40 beers (ales?) mentioned, Esox. How could I possibly choose? I should be all of a dither and probably miss the match.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Pnealefan
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Pnealefan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 am
Brilliant stuff. Thanks for posting that. Getting thirsty just reading it.
No problem. The venues make me thirsty daily but then the wife mentions bank balances and I can't leave the house thereafter :?

Pnealefan
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Pnealefan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:37 pm

kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am
kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am
Very kind and helpful, but, it all sounds a bit complicated.
I don't think that I shall go.
*Hand, *full beer glass, * mouth open, *pour in mouth. There you go, you're ready for Preston. :D
But there must have been about 40 beers (ales?) mentioned, Esox. How could I possibly choose? I should be all of a dither and probably miss the match.
If ale confusion and indecisiveness is an issue then I recommend Plug & Taps upon arrival then an 'Eagle Taxi' (01772 200300) to the Moorbrook for about 13:45. Couple in there before heading to the ground at 14:35 (14:45 if you walk very quickly).

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 20616
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Pnealefan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:37 pm
kernowhoop wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am


*Hand, *full beer glass, * mouth open, *pour in mouth. There you go, you're ready for Preston. :D
But there must have been about 40 beers (ales?) mentioned, Esox. How could I possibly choose? I should be all of a dither and probably miss the match.
If ale confusion and indecisiveness is an issue then I recommend Plug & Taps upon arrival then an 'Eagle Taxi' (01772 200300) to the Moorbrook for about 13:45. Couple in there before heading to the ground at 14:35 (14:45 if you walk very quickly).
Most QPR away games it is recommended to stay in the pub until 4:50 pm and then hear all about it on the way back ;-)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4616
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by 222gers » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 pm

It would be in order to reciprocate and provide info regarding Real Ale in the vicinity of our ground. Sadly, the area isn't blessed with many pubs that are worth the candle. The two 'Spoons pubs in Hammersmith have a good range of ales but aren't what I would call good pubs. The Andover is currently closed but will reopen in a few weeks. The Raven at the western end of Goldhawk Rd is a nice pub with four of five ales.

I've never been in the Weld but have heard it's pricey. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Post Reply