You know you're old when...

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: You know you're old when...

Post by 222gers » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 pm
222gers wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:48 am

That's the car! If not the Citroen, then maybe a Riley Pathfinder with the above spec as a street sleeper.
My old dad had a Riley Pathfinder.....that brings back memories !
I just like the thought of something with semaphore indicators and suicide doors having 1000+ bhp and handles like it's on rails. :lol:
I always called semaphore indicators, trafficators. There's something comforting to me about the technology of yesteryear. The high beam switch on my MGs was a little foot-operated silver switch on the floor next to the clutch. The battery was a twin pack 6 volt affair under the back seat. The overdrive switch ( what's overdrive ? some may say ), a little curly on/off switch on the dash next to the ignition. The heater just on/off, no adjustments available. I realise all this would be a motoring nightmare to most folk !

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Jensen 8CV was what I wanted. Like what The Baron drove. When I had the dosh I should've just done it. Beyond me now. :(

Till me numbers come up that is. :D
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Montag wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:36 pm
Jensen 8CV was what I wanted. Like what The Baron drove. When I had the dosh I should've just done it. Beyond me now. :(

Till me numbers come up that is. :D
Only 14 million to 1 ! You've got a better chance on the Premium Bonds and you don't lose your money. I miss the old football pools - still a long shot, but it was interesting trying to select the drawn games.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Really enjoying this thread. I've never had a 'classic' but did dabble with a TR6 hardtop for about 9 months (3 of which it managed to stay on the road).

Overdrive floor button and chrome bumpers... There was certainly a design flair that is all but missing these days.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:33 pm
Really enjoying this thread. I've never had a 'classic' but did dabble with a TR6 hardtop for about 9 months (3 of which it managed to stay on the road).

Overdrive floor button and chrome bumpers... There was certainly a design flair that is all but missing these days.
In my young teenage years a lot of my older peers had Zodiacs, Zephyrs, Lotus Cortinas,,a couple of Cresta PA's (another ideal candidate for a street sleeper) and a Humber Super Snipe. The MG Magnette ZB Varitone was also popular with my mates and one lad had, in the space of five years, a couple of Mk2 Jags, a MK10 Jag, an XJS V12 a Cadillac Eldorado and a Buick Skylark with cherry bomb exhausts. I was a motorbike rider so didn't really dabble with cars but I did have a Hillman Avenger Tiger which I wish I had back now to sell LOL.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:52 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Some people think we're bonkers opting for an old fashioned car but as you say, despite being technologically superior, modern cars have little style or elegance or character. I readily admit I always used the new car for very long trips, but the classic required driving skill and gave such a lot of pleasure, so would be used almost every day. Prices for classics are sky high at the moment.