Something I've never understood about cricket

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Something I've never understood about cricket

Post by old pauline » Sat May 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Why do the players come off at the first spot of rain ? Is it because its unsafe ?

They have an entire outfield to run around in. They're no more risk of colliding with another player, or an advertising board etc The ball doesn't bounce dangerously and they could wear spikes to stop them from slipping.

Or is it because the wicket gets damaged ?

What is the actual reason that they come off ?
Come on you Sooopa ........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Something I've never understood about cricket

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 pm

In my (limited) experience it is a number of things, the ball gets wet, slippery and easily deformed leading to uncontrolled bowling grip and potential to bowl dangerously. The crease becomes badly cut up and muddy which makes it dangerous. The ball also comes off the pitch erratically which can be very dangerous.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm

OK, many thanks. That pretty much all seems logical apart from the ball bouncing erratically. I always thought it just skidded through more on a wet deck - but no higher.
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat May 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Of course what baffles Americans is stopping for lunch and tea !

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Mon May 14, 2018 9:26 am

They don't actually come off at the first sign of rain. In many cases, the umpires will give it a couple of minutes in case it blows over. At local level, the umpires will often have a chat to someone (generally the groundsman) at the home ground to work out where the weather normally comes from. There are some where if it comes (say) over that hill, it'll pass soon enough' over another then leg it and get the covers on asap.

There is also the issue of the ball being slippery that Esox mentioned. A bowler who is not in full control can be dangerous. Grass becomes slippery very quickly and it's easy for players for do themselves a mischief. We live in a more litigious society these days and, with umpires being solely responsible for decision regarding ground, weather and light, they (we) are a bit ... cautious.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat May 19, 2018 2:08 am

Don wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:26 am
We live in a more litigious society these days and, with umpires being solely responsible for decision regarding ground, weather and light, they (we) are a bit ... cautious.

Howzat?