Home Brewing

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Home Brewing

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 am

I have been having a stab at brewing my own beer and Youtube has been very useful. I began looking at videos of bottling and all I can find on Youtube are compilations of Leeds United & Derby County from the last 5 seasons.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Re: Home Brewing

Post by wrinklyhoop » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Ho Ho...

PS True though πŸ˜€

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 pm

wrinklyhoop wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 pm
Ho Ho...

PS True though πŸ˜€
Are you heading for the C&S for the last game? I am coming down on my own so I will try to pop in and share an end of season pop.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Will be there before Brum game. Hope you can make it πŸ˜€

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 am

Damn, I thought thisthread would really be about home brewing, facinating topic. I tried it in the eighties when I kept being made redundant and couldn't afford the pub. In the end, the results were very good once I switched from dried yeast to liquid yeast or sometimes the culture from the bottom of a Worthington White Shield bottle.

Anyone else had a bash at it ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 pm

I did actually try if back in the 80's too. Followed the instructions that came with the Bitter kit and bottled it up with a spoonful of sugar in the bottom of each bottle before storing in an airing cupboard. A few weeks later it was time to try one; not very nice, a bit cloudy and smelt a lot of yeast, I only drank a couple of mouthfuls. Intending to see if they got any better if I left them a bit longer, say another month, I left the remainder in the airing cupboard... and completely forgot about them :lol: for almost a year. Once I rediscovered them I took the cap off a bottle and it poured really clear with almost no sediment in the bottom. It had a lovely hoppy taste and quite refreshing... it was also immensely strong and gave me a mother of a headache after only a bottle, a headache so brain splittingly awful that I tipped the remainder of the batch down the sink and gave up brewing my own beer. :lol: :lol: :lol: A job better left to craftsmen IMO.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Esox Lucius wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 pm
I did actually try if back in the 80's too. Followed the instructions that came with the Bitter kit and bottled it up with a spoonful of sugar in the bottom of each bottle before storing in an airing cupboard. A few weeks later it was time to try one; not very nice, a bit cloudy and smelt a lot of yeast, I only drank a couple of mouthfuls. Intending to see if they got any better if I left them a bit longer, say another month, I left the remainder in the airing cupboard... and completely forgot about them :lol: for almost a year. Once I rediscovered them I took the cap off a bottle and it poured really clear with almost no sediment in the bottom. It had a lovely hoppy taste and quite refreshing... it was also immensely strong and gave me a mother of a headache after only a bottle, a headache so brain splittingly awful that I tipped the remainder of the batch down the sink and gave up brewing my own beer. :lol: :lol: :lol: A job better left to craftsmen IMO.
I got good results when I moved away from kits and bought seperate ingredients and the aforementioned liquid yeast. There was a good home brew shop in Notting Hill which sold all the gubbins. Wine was also quite good with potato wine which tasted like whisky and water and a cracking pomegranate wine. I'm tempted to start again but sold all my kit years ago.