Ball tampering

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Ball tampering

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Painfully boring sport with painfully boring pundits with painfully drawn out 5 day games that you can end up without a winner, can’t play in the rain & you stop for drinks tea & lunch.

IMO it’s the worst major sport ever invented closely folllowed by golf & tennis, to think that someone would actually want to cheat at such a dire game is beyond me.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:23 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm
Painfully boring sport with painfully boring pundits with painfully drawn out 5 day games that you can end up without a winner, can’t play in the rain & you stop for drinks tea & lunch.

IMO it’s the worst major sport ever invented closely folllowed by golf & tennis, to think that someone would actually want to cheat at such a dire game is beyond me.
I tried explaining cricket to an American once. Best I could come up with was....

When a batsman comes out, then he's in. When he's out he goes back in. One team has to knock the other team's little wooden sticks over, then the other team has to knock their little sticks over. They do this for five days. If all the sticks haven't been knocked over, it's a draw. You're not American are you ? :wink:
Last edited by 222gers on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am

It's definitely a sport for the more intelligent. :wink:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am
With the exception of David Warner.
Question everything.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:14 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am
With the exception of David Warner.
Animal survival instincts? :lol:

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 am

222gers wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:23 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm

I tried explaining cricket to an American once. Best I could come up with was....

When a batsman comes out, then he's in. When he's out he goes back in. One team has to knock the other team's little wooden sticks over, then the other team has to knock their little sticks over. They do this for five days. If all the sticks haven't been knocked over, it's a draw. You're not American are you ? :wink:
I love Michael Jordan & I’ve got a George Foreman grill but no I’m not American.

Oh I understand the rules alright fortunately I won’t have to explain the rules to my offspring as the 5 day game will more than likely be dead & buried by then.

I’m struggling to think of a major sport that I detest more than Cricket although I must say that Golf,tennis,cycling all motorsport & all US sports closely follow it.

I will only watch Rugby (both codes) football & Boxing everything else wasn’t worth inventing in my opinion.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am

Being punched until you are unconscious sounds like a great sport. Still, as long as there are no long term effects to ones brain being battered then what's the harm?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Ask Phillip Hughes parents if Cricket is safer than Boxing.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:31 pm
Ask Phillip Hughes parents if Cricket is safer than Boxing.
One unique, freak accident as compared to regular deliberate attempts to batter someone into unconsciousness? Absolutely no comparison at all.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:59 pm

I’d say unique is probably the wrong choice of word as Darryn Randall died in exactly the same way a year earlier.
Last edited by westlondonlalala on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Some years ago there was a TV programme regarding the high incidence of suicide among cricketers. High in relation to other sportsmen anyhow. I couldn't watch it properly as we had friends round for the evening. Anyway, the programme mentioned the mental pressure a batsman is under surrounded by the other team, the sledging of which we spoke of in this thread and the concentration required by batsmen to bat on for hours and hours. Geoffrey Boycott spoke of the “corridor of uncertainty” as the batsmen see every ball bowled. Does anyone have any more on this subject ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm

I think you missed the point; they were freak accidents, not people deliberately setting out bludgeon each other until one of them is unconscious.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm

There has been a huge amount in the press about it here, especially given our rivalry with Australia. Apparently teams have always done it, the only difference is that Australia got caught.
I don't like cricket whatsoever, but if it's as common occurrence as some have suggested, I hope the ICC come down on them heavy to set a precedence.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:59 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm
There has been a huge amount in the press about it here, especially given our rivalry with Australia. Apparently teams have always done it, the only difference is that Australia got caught.
I don't like cricket whatsoever, but if it's as common occurrence as some have suggested, I hope the ICC come down on them heavy to set a precedence.
I wonder if they did it against us in the recent tests.....they did manage to get huge swing in conditions that one wouldn't expect it. Our bowlers however didn't get much movement at all. You'd think though, with all the cameras it would be spotted.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:28 pm

"Feel it".. The Tamperer
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.