Ball tampering

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Ball tampering

Post by ActonArthur » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 am

222gers wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:59 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm
There has been a huge amount in the press about it here, especially given our rivalry with Australia. Apparently teams have always done it, the only difference is that Australia got caught.
I don't like cricket whatsoever, but if it's as common occurrence as some have suggested, I hope the ICC come down on them heavy to set a precedence.
I wonder if they did it against us in the recent tests.....they did manage to get huge swing in conditions that one wouldn't expect it. Our bowlers however didn't get much movement at all. You'd think though, with all the cameras it would be spotted.
I would love it if, having now categorically stated that it was cheating on this one ocassion that some retrospective analysis of the last ashes could unearth some previously unseen evidence of Aussie skullduggery. It would widen the whole thing and become an even better story.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am

At least they've had a proper punishment. In the EPL cheating is condoned and even rewarded providing you play for one of the right clubs. As in Ashley Young's Peter Pan impersonation and Mr Tevez's elbow in the chops for Barton. One incident helped a club win the title - the other nearly did.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Montag wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am
At least they've had a proper punishment. In the EPL cheating is condoned and even rewarded providing you play for one of the right clubs. As in Ashley Young's Peter Pan impersonation and Mr Tevez's elbow in the chops for Barton. One incident helped a club win the title - the other nearly did.
You're absolutely right. With so much money at stake the win-at-all-costs attitude has killed the game at that level and it's filtering down to the lower leagues as well. Managers pretend to be disgusted by cheating but the players wouldn't do it without their managers' condonement. Same with pundits with their “he felt contact so had the right to go down”
Managers speak of players being “clever” when they really mean cheating. Fans think it's OK for a player to “take one for the team” and foul a player with no intention of going for the ball. Where do we go from here ?

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 am

222gers wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm
Montag wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am
You're absolutely right. With so much money at stake the win-at-all-costs attitude has killed the game at that level and it's filtering down to the lower leagues as well. Managers pretend to be disgusted by cheating but the players wouldn't do it without their managers' condonement. Same with pundits with their “he felt contact so had the right to go down”
Managers speak of players being “clever” when they really mean cheating. Fans think it's OK for a player to “take one for the team” and foul a player with no intention of going for the ball. Where do we go from here ?
Is it down to the lake I fear? Ay, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah :oops:
Question everything.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am

222gers wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 pm
Some years ago there was a TV programme regarding the high incidence of suicide among cricketers. High in relation to other sportsmen anyhow. I couldn't watch it properly as we had friends round for the evening. Anyway, the programme mentioned the mental pressure a batsman is under surrounded by the other team, the sledging of which we spoke of in this thread and the concentration required by batsmen to bat on for hours and hours. Geoffrey Boycott spoke of the “corridor of uncertainty” as the batsmen see every ball bowled. Does anyone have any more on this subject ?
For batsmen, their endeavours nearly always end in personal failure.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm

The corridor of uncertainty does not refer to the mental state of a batsman. It refers to the line just outside the off stump where the batsman doesn't know whether to play or to leave a delivery. Although in my case the corridor of uncertainty is more often than not followed by the walk to the changing room.
Come on you Sooopa ........