Pay at the BBC

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Pay at the BBC

Post by Don » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I think it's a myth that the BBC is advert-free. There are thousands of adverts on the telly and radio - mostly for other BBC programmes. At one stage it was difficult to listed to Radio 2 for more than ten minutes without getting an advert for a concert by the aptly-named Conchita Wurst.

I was a remainer but I'm getting fed up with anti-Brexit stuff. The Daily Mash is a great website but the BBC equivalent just has the irritating Nish Kumar doing a monologue that is just "Ooh all Brexit people are thick and it's all going really badly and I hope it does so I can say how me and my smug mates were right all along sure it would be better to try to make the best of the situation we find ourselves in but I'm so so very clever and they're all idiots". What a weapons-grade Onanist.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm
Satch - I wasnt aware the BBC was costing the taxpayer anything. I though their funding was solely by the licence fee or perhaps selling the rights to programmes they own. Surely their period dramas would fetch a few quid overseas and box set sales etc?
Wouldn’t that be marvellous but no, the BBC is funded by the government who are now making sure they get their money’s worth
I can't get to the bottom of this. I thought I read some time ago that the BBC was funded by, of course, the licence fee plus an amount from government. I can find no mention now of the said amount from government, it seems it's now just the licence fee plus profit from selling shows and productions to overseas buyers. As has been pointed out, the adverts for their own shows can be as annoying as the commercial ads on the other channels. They make a point of using people with a huge range of accents rather than the received pronunciation of old which is OK in its way, but I can't stand the bloke that does the ads for the FA cup who sounds about eight years old.

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Satch - I wasnt aware the BBC was costing the taxpayer anything. I though their funding was solely by the licence fee or perhaps selling the rights to programmes they own. Surely their period dramas would fetch a few quid overseas and box set sales etc?
I thought your point was that the government would make a saving they could redirect, which i was questioning. If you're suggesting the tax receipts from a privatised BBC could be used towards the NHS, then imo the contribution wouldn't be worth losing the BBC for.

222- The government used to fund the world service. They don't anymore.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am

Satch wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
I thought your point was that the government would make a saving they could redirect, which i was questioning. If you're suggesting the tax receipts from a privatised BBC could be used towards the NHS, then imo the contribution wouldn't be worth losing the BBC for.

Originally, put adverts on and the funds going to the NHS with the licence fee continuing to fund it. But if Govt funds we added two sell the lot to generate cash and then tax receipts. As has been said they advertise already, as guests only appear on talk shows if they're selling stuff.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:19 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am
Satch wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm
SheepRanger wrote:

Originally, put adverts on and the funds going to the NHS with the licence fee continuing to fund it. But if Govt funds we added two sell the lot to generate cash and then tax receipts. As has been said they advertise already, as guests only appear on talk shows if they're selling stuff.
Promoting stuff is not the same as advertising. You can't charge Denzel Washington for talking about his latest film, and the BBC can't charge themselves for previewing their latest period drama.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:25 pm

A guest promoting a charity or awareness of an issue is one thing but if they are there to plug a commerical venture such as a new album or film its advertising to me.