Goodbye NHS?

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Goodbye NHS?

Post by 222gers » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:30 pm

The chief exec of the NHS has, according to the Times, scrapped waiting time guidlines for routine operations and has declared that a range of illnesses will no longer be treated. These include indigestion, constipation and diarrhoea. Any or all of these can indicate the beginning of very serious illnesses. People would presumably be left to purchase overpriced and often useless remedies from pharmacies some of which are the modern day equivalent of snake oil salesmen.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Goodbye NHS?

Post by Rbee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 am

222gers wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:30 pm
The chief exec of the NHS has, according to the Times, scrapped waiting time guidlines for routine operations and has declared that a range of illnesses will no longer be treated. These include indigestion, constipation and diarrhoea. Any or all of these can indicate the beginning of very serious illnesses. People would presumably be left to purchase overpriced and often useless remedies from pharmacies some of which are the modern day equivalent of snake oil salesmen.
In my opinion the NHS is just mismanaged. Too many chiefs as well.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:56 pm

I blame Labour for introducing PFI contracts which are crippling the NHS budgets today.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Well yes and no.

PFI was a Conservative idea introduced under Major, enthusiastically embraced by Brown and Blair, and carried on by Cameron, Osborne and their successors since 2010.

A terrible idea, which as you say has turned out to be financially disastrous.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:51 pm

It was a very short term initiative which had benefits at the time but ignored the long term financial implications. Where I live, we are virtually without primary healthcare which is frightening. We are lucky if we can get an appointment within three weeks. People are going to A&E because GPs are not available. Nye Bevan must be turning in his grave.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Where do you live, 222 ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

222gers wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:51 pm
It was a very short term initiative which had benefits at the time but ignored the long term financial implications. Where I live, we are virtually without primary healthcare which is frightening. We are lucky if we can get an appointment within three weeks. People are going to A&E because GPs are not available. Nye Bevan must be turning in his grave.
We seem to have more in common. Where we are in Reading it is exactly the same although our local surgery have introduced a 2 hour daily walk in system with no appointments

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm
Where do you live, 222 ?
With the Ruperts in Fulham.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Unfortunately in Swindon we do not have the services to cope with the expanding population. A friend of mine works in a council funded pre-school and there aren't enough spaces available. In healthcare there is a walk in centre where you can't book appointments, but if you're not there for 8am you can expect a 4hr wait. GPs do hold open slots for emergency appointments which are triaged by the booking clerks. It's hard enough to cope with normal expansion but the immigration in the town has blown any form of planning out of the window. It's impossible to plan for any services if you don't know how many customers you need to serve. But of course that's another debate.

From listening to LBC, who regularly focus on the NHS, we seem to be locked into no end of expensive deals. In one example they covered gloves which from memory can be bought for 80p each, but are costing £8 each. If this is true then no end of investment in the NHS, and the political gain that can be achieved from it, is doing much good. Procurement seems a mess and I haven't heard any logical argument why generic/unlicensed products are so expensive; perhaps they reduce the costs of licensed drugs? But It just doesn't seem right.

We don't need EU nurses in our country, we have enough people in the UK, all you need to do is pay them a decent wage and make it an attractive career option for youngsters to join. Importing cheap labour is just masking the problem. We don't appear to be getting value for the money invested, or should I say, we could get more from it?

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Frightening Sheepy. So much waste and no-one seems to be accountable.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:19 pm

I've read of quite a few cases of paying needlessly high prices for various requisites not least the huge increases in the price of drugs charged by the big pharma companies. I don't know how the funding issues are going to be addressed but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some sort of extra insurance element comes into being.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm

On LBC there were also concerns that because the NHS is broken down into individual trusts it has lost its buying power. Central procurement could get better value. Some more accurate data on latex gloves etc

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ons-pounds

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 am