The ashes

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: The ashes

Post by ActonArthur » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Don wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 pm
This is an intriguing Test. I stayed up all night watching the first day and, despite the slow pace, found it absorbing - proper old-school cricket. It was a shame we collapsed on the second day but it augers well that our three 'unknowns' scored the bulk of the runs. Cook (probably) and Root (certainly) will get runs this series.

Brisbane is traditionally where the Aussies land a huge opening punch. Those effectively finished us off in 2006 & 2013. The same looked to have happened in 2010, especially with us conceding a huge first innings' deficit when, for a while, parity, or even a lead seemed more likely. The batting of Strauss, Cook and Trott knocked the wind out of the Australians' sails and effectively set us up for a series win. The main thing is not to lose at the 'Gabba - the convicts rely on that flying start and the momentum it brings.

We have an interesting three days coming up. But if we don't get a wicket before lunch then I fear the worst.
That’s well good that is.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 am

Ah well. That dream went the way of so many other England disappointments. Sounds like our bowling attack is ageing and not as effective as Australia’s. Moeen injury does not help.

Additionally, our key batsmen did not deliver. I wonder if we will see one or more retirements after this series. That said, if we do win in Adelaide, it will be game on again. Perhaps stokes might be back.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm

ActonArthur wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 am
Ah well. That dream went the way of so many other England disappointments. Sounds like our bowling attack is ageing and not as effective as Australia’s. Moeen injury does not help.

Additionally, our key batsmen did not deliver. I wonder if we will see one or more retirements after this series. That said, if we do win in Adelaide, it will be game on again. Perhaps stokes might be back.
5-0 Australia was a big price sumfin like 6/1
I so wish I'd backed it.