The ashes

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

The ashes

Post by ActonArthur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Trust it to be an R’s fan who rescues us. I’m thinking that was a pretty good day there. Here’s hoping Moeen can get a good knock in and we can push well over 300.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: The ashes

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Or they could play for a full five days & get no result.

What a waste of a week that would be a?

Probably the worst sport ever invented along with golf & tennis.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 pm

How dare you sir ! Have you never asked the kipper if you could turn your arm over to split these johnnies up ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 pm

I can just about stomach 20/20 atleast there is an element of excitement but as for the 5day slow death not for me sir.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:33 pm

There's a breathless hush in the Close tonight
Ten to make and the match to win
A bumping pitch and a blinding light
An hour to play and the last man in
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
" play up, play up and play the game ".

Owzat ?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm

On that note I'm going to bed, enjoy the ashes & Enjoy your erm poem thingy whatever the f*ck that was :D

Let's hope we can see the new ball off, I have a horrible feeling that we will compitulate tonite.

But I can't say I'll be rushing to find out the score tomorrow, either way i coudnt care less.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:19 am

westlondonlalala wrote:

Heathen! :wink:

Surely, the greatest sport ever invented, in fact far more than just a sport. A sport full of characters, most of which possess an immeasurably greater amount of grey matter than your average football player and a sport yet to be completely ruined by money.
Question everything.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:49 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:19 am
westlondonlalala wrote:

Heathen! :wink:

Surely, the greatest sport ever invented, in fact far more than just a sport. A sport full of characters, most of which possess an immeasurably greater amount of grey matter than your average football player and a sport yet to be completely ruined by money.
Yep Ben Stokes being the finest example of that :wink:

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:44 am

westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm
On that note I'm going to bed, enjoy the ashes & Enjoy your erm poem thingy whatever the f*ck that was :D

Let's hope we can see the new ball off, I have a horrible feeling that we will compitulate tonite.

But I can't say I'll be rushing to find out the score tomorrow, either way i coudnt care less.
There was a time when I did not get test cricket, that was in the past. Now I do and it has given me some great sporting times. If you invest the time watching and listening to experts, to understand the nuances of the 5 day game you may grasp it. If not, then that’s fine also.
I hope test cricket is not ruined by money in the future.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm

ActonArthur wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:44 am
westlondonlalala wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm

There was a time when I did not get test cricket, that was in the past. Now I do and it has given me some great sporting times. If you invest the time watching and listening to experts, to understand the nuances of the 5 day game you may grasp it. If not, then that’s fine also.
I hope test cricket is not ruined by money in the future.
I can barely get away with watching a weekend of sport in my house let alone 5 days on the trot.

5 days & still might not get a result what a waste of time, stop for tea stop for lunch stop for rain blah blah u don't get the raw emotion like Footy & rugby the edreniline highs & lows, nah not for me.

Not to mention if it rains to long you get a mythical target to reach, what a load of old cobblers that is

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm
5 days & still might not get a result what a waste of time, stop for tea stop for lunch stop for rain blah blah u don't get the raw emotion like Footy & rugby the edreniline highs & lows, nah not for me.

Not to mention if it rains to long you get a mythical target to reach, what a load of old cobblers that is
Of course you get the raw emotion. The fact that it's often preceded by long periods where nothing much is ostensibly happening only heightens that.

Watch the reaction of players and fans in any Ashes test and see how much it matters.

I broadly agree about the Duckworth-Lewis method though.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Redinjun, an occasional of this parish, was good enough to arrange a trip to the Edgbaston Test this year. Look who else was in our party!

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.65 KiB) Viewed 238 times
One gets to meet a better class of person at the cricket.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:16 pm

This is an intriguing Test. I stayed up all night watching the first day and, despite the slow pace, found it absorbing - proper old-school cricket. It was a shame we collapsed on the second day but it augers well that our three 'unknowns' scored the bulk of the runs. Cook (probably) and Root (certainly) will get runs this series.

Brisbane is traditionally where the Aussies land a huge opening punch. Those effectively finished us off in 2006 & 2013. The same looked to have happened in 2010, especially with us conceding a huge first innings' deficit when, for a while, parity, or even a lead seemed more likely. The batting of Strauss, Cook and Trott knocked the wind out of the Australians' sails and effectively set us up for a series win. The main thing is not to lose at the 'Gabba - the convicts rely on that flying start and the momentum it brings.

We have an interesting three days coming up. But if we don't get a wicket before lunch then I fear the worst.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Don wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:57 pm
Redinjun, an occasional of this parish, was good enough to arrange a trip to the Edgbaston Test this year. Look who else was in our party!

Capture.JPG

One gets to meet a better class of person at the cricket.
:like

drunkagain
Locum meum praecepta mea

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:31 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Of course you get the raw emotion. The fact that it's often preceded by long periods where nothing much is ostensibly happening only heightens that.

Watch the reaction of players and fans in any Ashes test and see how much it matters.

I broadly agree about the Duckworth-Lewis method though.
We agree on something wow I better go have a sit down.