Things younger folk wouldn't understand.

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Things younger folk wouldn't understand.

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:13 pm

For some unknown reason a memory of Sunday evening watching the Golden Shot popped into my head. After the usual pre amble the phone contestant starts to give Bernie his instructions "up... left a bit... up... right a bit... up... up a bit more..." at this point the camera on the crossbow was aiming into the spotlight rig and I, along with everyone else watching the program I imagine, was thinking "what the hell is he doing?" The word "fire" was then heard and the expected chaos ensued as the bolt went noisily into the lighting rig.
Bob M: "well unfortunately you have missed by a long way, were you able to see your TV screen OK?"
Contestant: "No, not really, the phone in the house was playing up (or somesuch excuse) so I had to run towards the telephone box nearest Rumbelows and I was trying to see it through their window but I couldn't really tell where I was aiming"
Bob M (and most of the watching audience) just corpsed. I was watching with my family and we were howling:

Please share any such moments of lunacy from your youth. :lol:
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Things younger folk wouldn't understand.

Post by old pauline » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm

OK here we go (though am at work now so cannot go into the finer details).

At junior school in the summer there was a double pyramid shaped ice lolly which came in a UHT carton type material called a 'Jubbly'.

At the time I used to get a lift home with a classmate whose mum also squeezed two other classmates in (i.e. one in the front and three in the back).

School uniform consisted of shorts in the summer.

Vividly remember game involving outer two passengers on back seat pressing Jubblies down for as long as possible on bare legs of middle seated passenger without the latter invoking the anger of driving mum by remonstrating or wriggling around.

To the present day I get twitchy when wearing shorts in the presence of someone eating a lolly !
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm

old pauline wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm

At junior school in the summer there was a double pyramid shaped ice lolly which came in a UHT carton type material called a 'Jubbly'.

At the time I used to get a lift home with a classmate whose mum also squeezed two other classmates in (i.e. one in the front and three in the back).

Vividly remember game involving outer two passengers on back seat pressing Jubblies down for as long as possible on bare legs of middle seated passenger without the latter invoking the anger of driving mum by remonstrating or wriggling around.

To the present day I get twitchy when wearing shorts in the presence of someone eating a lolly !
I may be wrong.....but wasn't Jubbly actually an orange drink in a carton that some realised would make a nice lolly when frozen ? Then, the ultimate........the semifrozen Jubbly. Nectar of the Gods !

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:57 pm

222gers wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm
old pauline wrote:

I may be wrong.....but wasn't Jubbly actually an orange drink in a carton that some realised would make a nice lolly when frozen ? Then, the ultimate........the semifrozen Jubbly. Nectar of the Gods !
You're not wrong. Highlight of games afternoon at Roehampton was a frozen jubbly and the disappointment sometimes when the shop in the high street had none in the freezer.
Last edited by QPR_John on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:57 pm
222gers wrote:
old pauline wrote:

You'll not wrong. Highlight of games afternoon at Roehampton was a frozen jubbly and the disappointment sometimes when the shop in the high street had none in the freezer.
I remember. The upstairs deck of the number 30 bus resounded to the slurping of kids eating frozen Jubblies !

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:57 pm
222gers wrote:
old pauline wrote:

You're not wrong. Highlight of games afternoon at Roehampton was a frozen jubbly and the disappointment sometimes when the shop in the high street had none in the freezer.
You're right, they were definitely orange and talking about squeezing kids into cars, when we went to play footy
for the primary school imagine a Mini with 4 kids in the back and two squeezed onto the passenger seat - but very
happy days nevertheless. :D
Staff Benda Bilili

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:32 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:13 pm
For some unknown reason a memory of Sunday evening watching the Golden Shot popped into my head. After the usual pre amble the phone contestant starts to give Bernie his instructions "up... left a bit... up... right a bit... up... up a bit more..." at this point the camera on the crossbow was aiming into the spotlight rig and I, along with everyone else watching the program I imagine, was thinking "what the hell is he doing?" The word "fire" was then heard and the expected chaos ensued as the bolt went noisily into the lighting rig.
Bob M: "well unfortunately you have missed by a long way, were you able to see your TV screen OK?"
Contestant: "No, not really, the phone in the house was playing up (or somesuch excuse) so I had to run towards the telephone box nearest Rumbelows and I was trying to see it through their window but I couldn't really tell where I was aiming"
Bob M (and most of the watching audience) just corpsed. I was watching with my family and we were howling:

Please share any such moments of lunacy from your youth. :lol:

Anne Aston edrool edrool edrool

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 pm

They did a nice Cherry Jubbly too I seem to remember 8)

the big IP
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 am

Doing Moonies to lorry drivers hoping they would blow their horns

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 am

Thirteen years old in senior school I made a genuine error in my music class.

The teacher was Miss Miller, probably no more than 21, 22 years old herself, who encouraged us to bring in a record from our own collection to play in class and then discuss afterwards.

When it came to my turn I brought in the first album I had ever bought under my own steam, Elton John's recent release Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player.

Miss Miller asked which track I would like played to which I replied ''Track two, side one please Miss.'' Genuine mistake on my part as I say.

Track two, side one was my favourite song on the album titled ''Teacher I Need You.'' I didn't realise my faux pas until Miss Miller's and my eyes met across the classroom as Elton blasted out the first chorus....

''Oh teacher I need you, like a little child, you got something in you to drive a schoolboy wild....'' etc

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Things older folk don't inderstand.......why do young girls pronounce you as yeeeeeeooooo. As in "how are yeeeeeeooooo".

kernowhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm like wondering if it is like to show that they are like pleased to see you.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 am

222gers wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 pm
Things older folk don't understand.......why do young girls pronounce you as yeeeeeeooooo. As in "how are yeeeeeeooooo".
Don't even go there; that thread could run for pages and pages. :lol:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:22 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 am
222gers wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 pm
Things older folk don't understand.......why do young girls pronounce you as yeeeeeeooooo. As in "how are yeeeeeeooooo".
Don't even go there; that thread could run for pages and pages. :lol:
"Like...Forever"
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.