Brian Clough

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Post Reply
User avatar
BetaCam
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: N: 71.04945 - E: 24.02440

Brian Clough

Post by BetaCam » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am

I admit I have a soft spot for Brian Clough. Watching the many interviews available on YouTube, not to mention the stories told by others about him is pure entertainment.
The documentary "I Believe In Miracles" came out in 2015, and depicts the rise of Nottingham Forest from being a mid table division 2 side (now the championship) to winning the football league and two European cup, all within 2-3 years. It´s one of those fairytale stories that is well worth watching, no matter what club you belong to - apart from Derby County, that is :roll:

http://123netflix.com/watch/OvkA43GQ-i- ... acles.html
Last edited by BetaCam on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: Brian Clough

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:45 pm

70s football was much better than the money driven industry it is today.

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4066
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Brian Clough

Post by Montag » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:36 pm

It was - but there was a much better chance of getting kicked in the head.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 11327
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: CLOUD 9

Re: Brian Clough

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 am

Montag wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:36 pm
It was - but there was a much better chance of getting kicked in the head.
naughty :D
"Strong and stable my arse". (L'pool grafitti)

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Brian Clough

Post by 222gers » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

Some teams were ultra defensive and had murderous defenders which makes the achievements of players like Stan all the more amazing.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: Brian Clough

Post by SheepRanger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:13 pm

The art of head-butting is sadly missing from the modern game. Modern day players falling from a mere glance should meet Joe Jordan

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19587
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Brian Clough

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Basil Boli on Stuart Pearce? 8)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 3017
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Brian Clough

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:44 pm

BetaCam wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am
I admit I have a soft spot for Brian Clough. Watching the many interviews available on YouTube, not to mention the stories told by others about him is pure entertainment.
The documentary "I Believe In Miracles" came out in 2015, and depicts the rise of Nottingham Forest from being a mid table division 2 side (now the championship) to winning the football league and two European cup, all within 2-3 years. It´s one of those fairytale stories that is well worth watching, no matter what club you belong to - apart from Derby County, that is :roll:

http://123netflix.com/watch/OvkA43GQ-i- ... acles.html
Have to admit, I loved Clough, one of the very, very few people in the public eye who could come out with
outrageous statements ("... we agree that I'm right" ) and still retain charm and humour.
Staff Benda Bilili

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4366
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Brian Clough

Post by Rbee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 am

222gers wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am
Some teams were ultra defensive and had murderous defenders which makes the achievements of players like Stan all the more amazing.
Do you mean Groblaar to Hansen to Lawrenson to Groblaar to Hansen to Lawrenson to Groblaar to Hansen ooooh to Whelan, to Lawrenson to Groblaar?

I remember Liverpool going 1-0 up early in a game at Loftus Road and the above was played out for most of the remaining 80 minutes. The no passing back to the goalkeeper rule couldn’t come quick enough!

However back then there was never any mention of a player not trying or caring.

User avatar
Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4366
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Brian Clough

Post by Rbee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 am


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests