Gigs

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Gigs

Post by Mr Beef » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:40 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 am
The Killers are touring, not new but great live act. I think Half Man Half Biscuit are touring around at the moment too but listen to them on YouTube first as they are definitely Marmite... also my favourite band. :D
Recently saw HMHB at the Worthing Assembly Hall. Decent gig, but one of the worst venues that I've been to. Like a school hall with the ceiling raised.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 am

Mr Beef wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:40 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:31 am
The Killers are touring, not new but great live act. I think Half Man Half Biscuit are touring around at the moment too but listen to them on YouTube first as they are definitely Marmite... also my favourite band. :D
Recently saw HMHB at the Worthing Assembly Hall. Decent gig, but one of the worst venues that I've been to. Like a school hall with the ceiling raised.
I expect Nigel got a song out of it ;-) Luckily, I suppose, the HMHB experience isn't focussed strongly on the musicality. :lol:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by William » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Going to see Johnny Moped later this month at the Lexington in Angel Islington, saw slaughter and the Dogs earlier this year at the 100 club (very good) last saw them was 1978 at the Nashville West Ken (not so good then)...............

Hoop'83
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Hoop'83 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Went to school with Orlando from the Maccabees. Quite surprised they've called it a day, very good band.

Muse are the finest live band around at the moment. Coldplay excellent too, even if their tunes are getting pretty terrible these days.

Chic are playing in October, they sounded outstanding on the box at Glasto.

Bros are touring too shifty
@kischmusic

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 pm

The Divine Comedy, Petula Clark (I kid you not), and Marillion in the next few days. And Richard Thompson, Show of Hands, and Pierce Brothers. And the rather brilliant CC Smugglers. :-)
Locum meum praecepta mea

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Hoop'83 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:05 pm
Went to school with Orlando from the Maccabees. Quite surprised they've called it a day, very good band.

Muse are the finest live band around at the moment. Coldplay excellent too, even if their tunes are getting pretty terrible these days.

Chic are playing in October, they sounded outstanding on the box at Glasto.

Bros are touring too shifty
When, oh when, oh when will they be famous?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 pm

DG wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 pm
The Divine Comedy, Petula Clark (I kid you not), and Marillion in the next few days. And Richard Thompson, Show of Hands, and Pierce Brothers. And the rather brilliant CC Smugglers. :-)
Blimey, Pet Clark ! I have an album of hers in the attic, recorded in Memphis. Rather good as I remember, I must find it. The last gig I went to was a brilliant Richard Thompson one years ago now as I have tinnitus from playing and listening to loud music and really don't like it anymore. Luckily I'm OK listening to stuff on the system at home. I suffer from the tannoy at HQ though as I sit just under one of the horns.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 am

It's not a gig but I highly recommend the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A. It was like walking through my whole life, especially the early years.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:28 am

DG wrote:
Show of Hands are good fun. Like most folkies, they peddle a bit of an agenda, but you can ignore that. And they're one of the few bands who speak up for the rural poor and disadvantaged; the people living in what are often dismissed as 'posh' areas.

I don't go to many gigs these days. Musicals are my big thing. I saw Omid Djalili in 'Fiddler on the Roof' at Chichester last weekend. Bloody brilliant.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by William » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Psychedelic Furs in Kensington in November, know a few going but sold out, never saw them back in the day but great band, will go anyway and try a tout, or go old school and bunk in..................

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 am

Poor DM bad taste in music and football
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 am

deepseahoop wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 am
Poor DM bad taste in music and football
It's been a hard life

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 am

Don wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:28 am
DG wrote:
Show of Hands are good fun. Like most folkies, they peddle a bit of an agenda, but you can ignore that. And they're one of the few bands who speak up for the rural poor and disadvantaged; the people living in what are often dismissed as 'posh' areas.
It's their agenda that I love them for, Don. But then you might have guessed that. ;-) They were brilliant, btw. As were all those I mentioned. Top fest.
Locum meum praecepta mea

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Hoop'83 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:05 pm
Real shame they split - saw them on many occasions and always great value. Was Orlando a good bloke? Always comes across that way.
Now Bombay Biclycle Club have gone on hiatus, there don't seem to be many good new indie bands coming through.

Spanish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Spanish Ranger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Spanish Ranger wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:06 am
Currently bored with pre-season and the lack of any interesting transfer gossip, so thought I'd start a thread on gigs.

Went to see one of the farewell Maccabees gigs a couple of weeks back. IMO they were brilliant and very sad to see them break up - I'd also forgotten what a great venue Aleaxander Palace is. I've got tickets to see The War On Drugs at Portsmouth in Novemeber but between now and then it all looks a bit barren and I can't be arsed with festivals (unless they can guarantee me wall to wall sunshine).

It got me wondering what were the best gigs anyone had seen this year. Particulaly interested to hear of any new/up and coming bands you've seen as find most new music a bit bland these days and always keen to see something new.
Thanks to everyone who could be bothered to respond. So what have we learnt about you all:
1) There is big love for anything cider or farming related
2) William is stuck in a 1970's time warp
3) Don's preference is for musical theatre...............make of that what you will
4) DM is a closet Steps, Bucks Fizzs fan
5) Essox inhabits a parallel universe of oddness :wink:

So I'm still no closer to finding someone to repalce the Macabbees, Bombay BC, Mystery Jets, Glen Tilbrook or Amy Winehouse as worth dragging myself out of the pub for and if I fancy seeing an established band - i.e. Muse, Killers, Queens of Stone Age - I will need to shell out best part of £75.
I think I'll join William back in the 70s - Marquee, 100 Club, Nashville, Hope & Anchor, Cricketers - great nights out and great bands for a couple of quid and the cost of a few pints.