Women playing sport..

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Women playing sport..

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 am

Apparently the highest earning female footballer in the UK is on £65k a year. A respectable salary but it highlights that many couldn't afford to go full time which is essential if the game is to improve. But if there's no demand to watch it there's a catch 22 ad I guess we all find our level.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 pm

WSL1 players often have their education paid for by their clubs along with their coaching badges etc. The international players, along with the photogenic players at the club, also get paid media work and other little perks to try to keep them at the clubs, my cousin's daughter has just finished filming for a sports drink company and features heavily in the promotional film for the upcoming season. It is just at these levels in England it appears as another daughter of a cousin in Ireland was FAI player of the year a while back and she is only part time.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:37 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 am
Apparently the highest earning female footballer in the UK is on £65k a year. A respectable salary but it highlights that many couldn't afford to go full time which is essential if the game is to improve. But if there's no demand to watch it there's a catch 22 ad I guess we all find our level.
Paid 65k a year to play football at a shockingly poor standard, Jesus I pay to play that badly on a Sunday morning, if only I was a bird I'd be loaded if I'd have known 10yrs ago I would have had a sex change.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm

You're delusional if you think you could be competitive at even WSL 2 level.

Andy_N19
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Visiting a friend of mine off Lisson Grove (R's territory) I bumped into a girl (@15 years old) heading home from a match in
full QPR kit, also being Moslem she was in hijab too. Turns out she plays for the R's girls side. Asked if they won
and she said they had, gave her a big thumbs up and was happy as Larry.

Summed up for me why I'm a supporter of the female game; the encounter was positive on so many levels
and says of the club if not in sync first team wise are on the right track behind the scenes.
Staff Benda Bilili

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 pm
Visiting a friend of mine off Lisson Grove (R's territory) I bumped into a girl (@15 years old) heading home from a match in
full QPR kit, also being Moslem she was in hijab too. Turns out she plays for the R's girls side. Asked if they won

Summed up for me why I'm a supporter of the female game; the encounter was positive on so many levels
and says of the club if not in sync first team wise are on the right track behind the scenes.
Support their right to play? Or support it throught community activities by your goodself? Or, support it by paying to watch it?

We love football and we all support girls right to play football. But as a viewing opportunity I'll give it a miss unless I have an emotional reason to watch it.

OP was merely saying the quality was crap not their right to play.

At amatuer level Ive been told by fans that I've played crap. Perhaps womens football is all good and on an equality basis there's a law that says it is a hanging offence if we question their competence? If thats the case then Lineacre and Sherron would not be able to screw their pool maintenance money out of ta BBC.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 am
There is no minimum wage in the Australian W-League and a salary cap of $150K (many play for nothing), although the PFA are pushing for $11.5 K minimum wage and for at least 60 players to be earning $60K +.
Question everything.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:40 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

Support their right to play? Or support it throught community activities by your goodself? Or, support it by paying to watch it?

We love football and we all support girls right to play football. But as a viewing opportunity I'll give it a miss unless I have an emotional reason to watch it.

At amatuer level Ive been told by fans that I've played crap. Perhaps womens football is all good and on an equality basis there's a law that says it is a hanging offence if we question their competence? If thats the case then Lineacre and Sherron would not be able to screw their pool maintenance money out of ta BBC.
I watched Englands "B" team beat Portugal last night and the glaring deficiency, something that filters down to all levels that I have watched, is the standard of Goalkeeping. The defence certainly missed Steph Houghton in the middle last night and Lucy Bronze's inventiveness would have made the victory more convincing I feel but the midfield showed good inventiveness and soaked up the Portuguese pressure well. They weren't scared to play the ball in close quarters and then open up lay with goof through balls to forwards breaking into space. They still have a long way to go to match the professional men but they are nowhere near as bad as is being portrayed in this thread.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:40 am
SheepRanger wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:

I watched Englands "B" team beat Portugal last night and the glaring deficiency, something that filters down to all levels that I have watched, is the standard of Goalkeeping. The defence certainly missed Steph Houghton in the middle last night and Lucy Bronze's inventiveness would have made the victory more convincing I feel but the midfield showed good inventiveness and soaked up the Portuguese pressure well. They weren't scared to play the ball in close quarters and then open up lay with goof through balls to forwards breaking into space. They still have a long way to go to match the professional men but they are nowhere near as bad as is being portrayed in this thread.
Ive watched some decent international games too. My comments are mainly at club level and the amatuer game.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am

That applies to the mens game too then. I played as high as the Isthmian League between my 30's & 40's and started at Sunday pub league level when I gave up competitive squash at 30 and there is no way on Earth that any of the teams I played for, or against, bar maybe Marlow or Chesham in their heyday, would beat a WSL1 team. They are fit, well coached, becoming a lot more physical due to playing against men's youth teams in training, and just need to get the goalkeeping issue sorted out to offer decent footballing entertainment to the paying public. I watched a couple of games last year from League 2 involving Port Vale and Newport and I know I watched a much better standard of football when I went to watch Birmingham Ladies play before the big clubs came in and stole their best players. Manchester City Ladies would beat at least a quarter of the League two teams and Englands Ladies wouldn't get relegated from League Two over a season IMO, especially if they were allowed a decent male Goalkeeper. Hedvig Lindahl at Chelsea and Emma Byrne at Arsenal are about the only decent women goalkeepers playing ATM.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:44 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm
You're delusional if you think you could be competitive at even WSL 2 level.
No Esox your wrong, I played at Ryman premier level until 18, my whole youth was at that level, I'm not that fit not as quick as I used to be by god I would have a field day at the women's euros they are complete SHITE!

USA & Australia got destroyed by under 15 boys sides, the fact that you watch a women's game and think they could mix it with the men's game is beyond belief, I can only put it down to you being under the influence of either drugs or drink at the time.

Caroline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Caroline » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 am

Interesting thread...!

Westlondonlalala... no one is forcing you to watch women's football, if you don't like it, don't watch. I assume you have a remote control, and at least one hand free while you're watching?

I do tend to agree though that the women's game isn't necessarily great viewing. Despite playing in a women's team for years, I never felt obligued to watch matches on TV. The pace and strength etc wasn't great viewing, some mistakes could be cringe-worthy, and there was a tendency for everyone to swarm towards the ball like moths to a flame. Having said that, I think the game is constantly improving and I genuinely got caught up in the 2015 World Cup, even staying up til stupid-o-clock to watch matches live. Yes, you still see the odd mistake, but things like formation have vastly improved in my opinion.

The thing to bear in mind though, when comparing the men's and women's game is the fundamental difference in coaching, especially at grassroots level. When I was 12 and playing back in the 90s we trained for one hour a week - that's all. I've got no idea how much training is devoted to young girls coming along now, but I'd imagine that it's no where near the same level as that given to young boys. Actually, our coaching was terrible. We'd train on hard surface five-a-side pitches, and then be thrown onto a proper pitch on the Sunday afternoon with ZERO tactics, and no one knowing what they were meant to be doing or how to play as an 11-a-side team. That's why I gave up in the end. The league we were in was mixed ability / mixed ages. I was 12 and sometimes playing against FLIPPING big women in their mid 20s, and you wouldn't stand a chance... this was proppa hoof-ball!!! In our first match we lost 16-1. The next week we won 21-0 against a pub-team who were much older than us but who'd never played before. Both matches were disheartening in their own way! I'd rather lose 6-5 than win 21-0.

By the way, Faye White (England captain for ten years) played in the same team as me - she was light-years ahead of everyone else, but suffered the same poor training. So the training I experienced was indeed typical of any girl at that time.

Also, when I was growing up, there were so few opportunities for me to play football. I first went to see QPR in 1982 when I was four, and was desperate to play. The boys at school wouldn't let me play until, one day, I went into school on the Monday armed with my story about having been QPR's mascot at the weekend and nearly scoring against David Seaman. Suddenly I was allowed to play and I loved it. Eventually I became the first girl to play for my junior school's boys team (we didn't have a girls team of course!) - seeing my name on the team-sheet was the best thing ever! I played a few matches and even got a couple of goals. Obviously I couldn't join the boys team at secondary school, so joined the local ladies team. Meanwhile, I constantly campaigned to get girls' football on the girls' PE curriculum at school - never happened in my time there sadly! But I did get to play 5-a-side in the final year with the boys and fitted in well. All this time I had to endure the obvious name-calling, mainly from other girls! It was a struggle in so many ways, but really worth it!

Anyway, if you don't enjoy it, don't watch it! But be glad that girls/women are able to follow their dreams - surely you don't begrudge them that!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:13 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am
That applies to the mens game too then. I played as high as the Isthmian League between my 30's & 40's and started at Sunday pub league level when I gave up competitive squash at 30 and there is no way on Earth that any of the teams I played for, or against, bar maybe Marlow or Chesham in their heyday, would beat a WSL1 team. They are fit, well coached, becoming a lot more physical due to playing against men's youth teams in training, and just need to get the goalkeeping issue sorted out to offer decent footballing entertainment to the paying public. I watched a couple of games last year from League 2 involving Port Vale and Newport and I know I watched a much better standard of football when I went to watch Birmingham Ladies play before the big clubs came in and stole their best players. Manchester City Ladies would beat at least a quarter of the League two teams and Englands Ladies wouldn't get relegated from League Two over a season IMO, especially if they were allowed a decent male Goalkeeper. Hedvig Lindahl at Chelsea and Emma Byrne at Arsenal are about the only decent women goalkeepers playing ATM.
Man City ladies would beat league2 sides, I honesty can't believe your coming out with it, you must be bored on a wind up.

If the best women's national team in the World USA get done 5-2 by an under 15's boys side & Australia women get done 7-0 by an under 15's boys side then how on gods earth do you come to the conclusion that Man City ladies & England Women would beat English professional fully grown men from league2, it would be a total miss match.

Oh and you wana swap the keepers, :roll:
Pretty much says it all.

I'm just gonna take it your on a wind up & im gonna stop biting, we'll prob never see women v men properly to prove the point but the fact boys under 15's have smashed USA & Australia says it all.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 am

Caroline wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 am
Interesting thread...!

Westlondonlalala... I assume you have a remote control, and at least one hand free while you're watching?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: aniclap aniclap aniclap :lol: :lol: ouch!
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 am

In most sports there is the assumption that the men's game is the default, if not the 'proper' version. Football, women's football; rugby, women's rugby; cricket, women's cricket, etc. The only exception I can think of is hockey, men's hockey. And, boy, do some of them have to overcompensate.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!