Mrs May

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Mrs May

Post by William » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:04 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:38 pm
William wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 pm
222gers wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 am

So it's not important for folk like nurses and firefighters to receive a decent pay increase after years of seeing their wages fall in real terms ? The party that attempts to improve the lot of public sector workers are the villains and the warm hearted Tories are to be applauded. You must look at life through a cracked mirror, or a mirror crack'd as the Bard would put it.
But i am one of these people, and i am not complaining, so does that mean my voice should not be heard..............
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you may be in a minority of public sector workers in being happy with your lot. Should your voice be heard above the majority ?
"above the majority" well the remain in Brexit believe their voice is more important than the majority............

William
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by William » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 am

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 pm
William wrote:
222gers wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 am

So it's not important for folk like nurses and firefighters to receive a decent pay increase after years of seeing their wages fall in real terms ? The party that attempts to improve the lot of public sector workers are the villains and the warm hearted Tories are to be applauded. You must look at life through a cracked mirror, or a mirror crack'd as the Bard would put it.
But i am one of these people, and i am not complaining, so does that mean my voice should not be heard..............
Are you in the upper pay bracket where 1% would be okay ? Would explain why you're so anti Labour, you'd have to pay more tax
Not at all, have had a few promotions but just an ordinary chap really, comfortable, but took me years to get there............

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

William wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:03 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
William wrote:

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that you may be in a minority of public sector workers in being happy with your lot. Should your voice be heard above the majority ?
never said i was happy about it, but accept that the books need to be balanced...........
Higher taxes on the high earners would be a more efficient way of balancing the books
"Strong and stable my arse". (L'pool grafitti)

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm
William wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

never said i was happy about it, but accept that the books need to be balanced...........
Higher taxes on the high earners would be a more efficient way of balancing the books
Yup. Even if it means their spending will have to fall which will reduce VAT receipts and possibly jobs. Either route is fine by me. If I get taxed more I wont be changing my car any time soon.

Hunter S Thompson
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Hunter S Thompson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 pm
Hunter S Thompson wrote:
William wrote:

Yup. Even if it means their spending will have to fall which will reduce VAT receipts and possibly jobs. Either route is fine by me. If I get taxed more I wont be changing my car any time soon.
I do love the way you justify having so much more money than say the average nurse. Disabled people around the country living on benefits know that having a decent quality of life Depends on you. Three cheers for the rich.
"Strong and stable my arse". (L'pool grafitti)

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Hunter S Thompson wrote:

I do love the way you justify having so much more money than say the average nurse. Disabled people around the country living on benefits know that having a decent quality of life Depends on you. Three cheers for the rich.
Then dont put up these taxes then if thats the way you feel. If I say Im happy to increase tax you say Im smug but if I foom em Im ok thwn Im an uncaring errant hedge-born skainsmate.

All Im saying is that sales are at record highs, savings are at record lows and consumer debt at record highs. If the Govt want to increase direct taxes it will have a negative impact on indirect taxes, sales and jobs. That's not smug thats reality.

We are now in a worse position now than we were before the 2008 crash. Soon it will all go pop any way. The Govt should concentrate on tax evasion.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:09 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm
Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 pm
SheepRanger wrote:

Then dont put up these taxes then if thats the way you feel. If I say Im happy to increase tax you say Im smug but if I foom em Im ok thwn Im an uncaring errant hedge-born skainsmate.

All Im saying is that sales are at record highs, savings are at record lows and consumer debt at record highs. If the Govt want to increase direct taxes it will have a negative impact on indirect taxes, sales and jobs. That's not smug thats reality.

We are now in a worse position now than we were before the 2008 crash. Soon it will all go pop any way. The Govt should concentrate on tax evasion.
You are right about personal debt and record low savings. The latter not too surprising when you only get about 1.5 % interest for giving banks or building societies your money to be locked away for 5 years. And they call their savings accounts things like golden super-saver. Banks have been told to have billions ready for people reneging on debts. People are paying much less tax now than say, the 70s. Someone needs to get the economy by the scruff of the neck.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Put up Vat on luxury goods. There seem to be plenty of people out there with obscene amounts of money... let them pay. Labour missed a trick by not putting a tax on Premiership transfers.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Put up Vat on luxury goods. There seem to be plenty of people out there with obscene amounts of money... let them pay. Labour missed a trick by not putting a tax on Premiership transfers.
Nice idea but I'm wondering if that's possible while we're still in the EU.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:30 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 pm
Damien wrote:
Nice idea but I'm wondering if that's possible while we're still in the EU.
Not long to wait though.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Damien wrote:
How many jobs will be lost in the Bentley factory do you think?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:46 am

I am in favour of higher personal tax for the rich but Sheepy is right that the focus should be on company tax avoidance simply because that's where the big money is.

However, the problem is Britain and it's banks hugely benefit from tax avoidance, particularly with the city of London which is in effect a tax haven. And Britain is the single most important player in the offshore system of tax havens because of its control and support of a wide network of territories such as the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Jersey and many others. It will take a brave and principled politician to seriously tackle this deeply corrupt system. May certainly isn't one to do that.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:40 am

I gather a penny rise on income tax would bring in over £5 billion per annum ( can this be right? ). If a party were to say that they would add 2p to tax but would ringfence it so that it all goes to the NHS and public sector pay, surely people would accept it ?
The LibDems had a penny increase in their manifesto but neglected to mention ringfencing.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 am

222gers wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:40 am
I gather a penny rise on income tax would bring in over £5 billion per annum ( can this be right? ). If a party were to say that they would add 2p to tax but would ringfence it so that it all goes to the NHS and public sector pay, surely people would accept it ?
The LibDems had a penny increase in their manifesto but neglected to mention ringfencing.
No, they wouldnt accept it because Labour only wanted tax rises for companies and those earning over £80k. My limited company allows for hotel bills, food and travel to be classed as an expense which is tax deductible. The next step will be that you can ge reimbursed the money but it wont be tax deductible. All these legal allowances, which most would class as loopholes, will be removed. What about tax free savings and pensions contributions. I think these will go before tax rises. Theres a pdf from the ifs below if you want a heavy Sunday read. The interesting bit is that half of income tax collected come from 3% of the population and the ''rich'' would argue that they pay enough already and by contrast increasing on the poorly paid wouldnt bring in enough so whats the point? This is the money tree view. Remember that the rich spend more of goods and services which all mean they pay more tax. This may be reduced if it was increased at source or theyd just leave the country.

Hence my view that tax allowances need to reduced and avoidance laws increased. Thats the start and then we should see where we are.

Read from page 36 if you want to see the increase in revenue from any given action. The impacts of these are in the early part of the document.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 2rMpeEv1Xg

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:00 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 am
222gers wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:40 am
No, they wouldnt accept it because Labour only wanted tax rises for companies and those earning over £80k. My limited company allows for hotel bills, food and travel to be classed as an expense which is tax deductible. The next step will be that you can ge reimbursed the money but it wont be tax deductible. All these legal allowances, which most would class as loopholes, will be removed. What about tax free savings and pensions contributions. I think these will go before tax rises. Theres a pdf from the ifs below if you want a heavy Sunday read. The interesting bit is that half of income tax collected come from 3% of the population and the ''rich'' would argue that they pay enough already and by contrast increasing on the poorly paid wouldnt bring in enough so whats the point? This is the money tree view. Remember that the rich spend more of goods and services which all mean they pay more tax. This may be reduced if it was increased at source or theyd just leave the country.

Hence my view that tax allowances need to reduced and avoidance laws increased. Thats the start and then we should see where we are.

Read from page 36 if you want to see the increase in revenue from any given action. The impacts of these are in the early part of the document.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 2rMpeEv1Xg
Thanks Sheepy - I can't wade through all of it but on the very first page it has 5.5 billion from a one pence increase on income tax. Surely people rich and poor wouldn't object to this if ringfenced for a public sector pay rise ?